Frequent Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

I just finished re-reading ME BEFORE YOU by JOJO MOYES.  I wanted to re-read it as the sequel , AFTER YOU, is coming out on the 24th of this month.  I absolutely love this book - it's one of my most favorite books ever.  I cried throgh the last part of the book just like I did the first time - it was just as good the second time around.  If  there are any of you who still haven't read this I can not recommend it highly enough.

Frequent Contributor

I also have just read A MEMORY OF VIOLETS by HAZEL GAYNOR.  On Goodreads if I could have given it 3.5 of 5 stars I would have.  It was a sweet story and a good book but not a great book.  I am planning on reading another book by the same author called THE GIRL WHO CAME HOME: A NOVEL OF THE TITANIC.  It is "inspired" by true events - looks interesting.

Valued Contributor

Just finished the Dog Stars... post-apocalyptic, clever but somewhat annoying. When someone (author, filmmaker) goes to lengths to horrify me it has the opposite effect, my feelings shut down.

Almost done w/a book on cinematography. Last night read in Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Next up are two for groups, Selected Stories of Chekhov and No Mud, No Lotus by Tikh Nhat Hahn. Then I'll read a James Patterson novel just for fun.

Valued Contributor

@Sagal wrote:

I just finished re-reading ME BEFORE YOU by JOJO MOYES.  I wanted to re-read it as the sequel , AFTER YOU, is coming out on the 24th of this month.  I absolutely love this book - it's one of my most favorite books ever.  I cried throgh the last part of the book just like I did the first time - it was just as good the second time around.  If  there are any of you who still haven't read this I can not recommend it highly enough.

Our book club read this recently.  Good but painful!

Super Contributor

Loved it also and cannot wati for the sequel!

Honored Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:
A note for Smoky re: the Inspector Wexford books we are both reading. After you finish #10, A SLEEPING LIFE, read her book of short stories next, called MEANS OF EVIL, before reading #11, DEATH NOTES. The short story book shows something very important happening to Mike Burden, and then the story is continued in DEATH NOTES, as though you should already know this information. I was a bit confused, until I saw that I had missed out on this book that comes in the middle. Hope you are enjoying them; they are definitely getting better!

I'm not going back and read them again, but you have my interest. Guess I missed the short stories. Could you post a spoiler if you know how and just tell me what happens to Mike? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know how to do spoilers, so I'll just be vague: it introduces the character Jenny.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dawg lover wrote:
A note for Smoky re: the Inspector Wexford books we are both reading. After you finish #10, A SLEEPING LIFE, read her book of short stories next, called MEANS OF EVIL, before reading #11, DEATH NOTES. The short story book shows something very important happening to Mike Burden, and then the story is continued in DEATH NOTES, as though you should already know this information. I was a bit confused, until I saw that I had missed out on this book that comes in the middle. Hope you are enjoying them; they are definitely getting better!

dawg lover, thanks for posting this.  I have been using a site called orderofbooks.com to obtain my listing of Wexford books.  They have #11 listed as Putting On By Cunning.  Amazon has both this and Death Notes listed with the same description so they apparently are the same book.  My library only has Death Notes.  My kindle library has neither.  Whew!  What would I do without you!  I'm only up to Some Lie And Some Die.  They are getting better.

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

@dawg lover wrote:

dawg lover, thanks for posting this.  I have been using a site called orderofbooks.com to obtain my listing of Wexford books.  They have #11 listed as Putting On By Cunning.  Amazon has both this and Death Notes listed with the same description so they apparently are the same book.  My library only has Death Notes.  My kindle library has neither.  Whew!  What would I do without you!  I'm only up to Some Lie And Some Die.  They are getting better.

I posted this once back when we had that nice other forum-once when I was in London, we visited a bookshop. They had a whole section of my favorite author-just her books!!!! I was in my glory. You should have seen me scoop up those pocket books (softcover they call them now, lol). She happened to be British so I got that 'cause it sure doesn't happen here. Anyway, when I got home and began to peruse my booty, I saw that I had most of them because they were published under different titles in GB than in America. "Fool me once...................''

Trusted Contributor

@smoky - yes, that is the same book, just with a snazzier American title! I have been using the wonderful website Fantastic Fiction, which I learned about from this forum. @Judaline - I have done the same thing myself. Watch out for the Agatha Christie books, which often have a British and an American title.