Valued Contributor

Re: What Are You Reading --- September 2015

I am reading Code of Conduct by Brad Thor.  Have my name on a wait list for Make Me by Lee Child.

Trusted Contributor

A Man Called Ove is great. I read it a few months ago.

Trusted Contributor

The Bible!  I recently decided to read it from cover-to-cover.  I'm giving myself a year to do it but I hope I complete it before a year.  I don't want to speed-read through it, I want to take my time and think about it as I go.  Hope I can do it!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lynneuk wrote:

A Man Called Ove is great. I read it a few months ago.

Thanks!  Glad to hear it.  I like it a lot already.  

Respected Contributor

Three preordered books hit my app today.  Now, I just have to keep from reading them too quickly.  The books are:

Make Me by Lee Child

Dance of the Bones by J.A. Jance

The Devil Wins by Reed Farrell Coleman (this is a Robert B. Parker Jesse Stone novel)

Honored Contributor

I just finished The Cortes Enigma, by John Paul Davis. It was disappointing. It had a strong and interesting beginning, but the ending was a huge let down. It felt rushed and didn't explain things very well. You ever read a book where it felt like the author either ran out of ideas or had to finish the book in 385 pages and suddenly realized he was at 382? It was like that, where suddenly it was over and the ending was very unclear. A sequel is coming out later this year, but I won't be reading it.

Trusted Contributor

I am reading the Needlecraft Mystery series by Monica Ferris.  I am on Book 13 of the series and it is titled "Blackwork".  This series is about a gal who inherits a shop with all types of needlecraft materials.  She finds she has a "knack" for solving mysteries and people are now coming to her asking her to help them.  These books are easy read and I have learned a lot about the world of needlecrafting.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Valued Contributor

I've just begun Amy Stewart's Girl Waits with Gun:

Constance Kopp doesn’t quite fit the mold. She towers over most men, has no interest in marriage or domestic affairs, and has been isolated from the world since a family secret sent her and her sisters into hiding fifteen years ago. One day a belligerent and powerful silk factory owner runs down their buggy, and a dispute over damages turns into a war of bricks, bullets, and threats as he unleashes his gang on their family farm. When the sheriff enlists her help in convicting the men, Constance is forced to confront her past and defend her family — and she does it in a way that few women of 1914 would have dared.

Honored Contributor

I'm planning on ordering the Lee Child book, too, but want to finish up C.J. Box's BADLANDS first.  That J.A. Jance one sounds interesting.  

I find Jesse Stone's character kind of depressing:/

Esteemed Contributor

I just finished reading "The Nature of the Beast" by Louise Penny.

I'm so torn - I really did enjoy most of it; liked it far more than some of her previous. I did enjoy being back in Three Pines as I love so many of the characters there. But, wow, she does throw a lot at you. Won't spoil here, but the connections really strained my imagination. Something also happens - or almost happens - at the end that was completely implausible, but I guess does set up a subsequent book. Regardless, even in fiction, one has to write in a way that is believable for characters to act, and I feel this one incident almost spoils the book for me. In fact, bothers me so much I'm going to comment on it in the spoiler thread. But, I repeat, guess it sets up a subsequent show down.