Honored Contributor

Re: Product "Samplers"? Are You One?

When I was a teen I used to open lipsticks at the drugstore just to see what the colors were. No other way to know. But I never tried them on or touched the insides. Once all the brands started shrink wrapping the tubes I got the hint and stopped. Doesn't stop everyone else though, I see!

What I dislike is the mess left behind from people testing out makeup all over the store signage. Ulta grosses me out for that reason. And like rachb, when I buy an item at such a store I reach way to the back. And if it isn't sealed, forget it.

That Sephora manages to keep a clean and classy environment impresses me all the more now that I think about what they must be up against.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Regular Contributor

@StlrFan wrote:

I believe I would have gone to the Service Desk and asked for a Manager.  That nail polish incident is infuriating.  Where have we gone with Right/Wrong, Manners, Proper Behavior?  If I sound like an old fuddy dud, I'm not that old.  These type of actions would have been publicly shamed at one time.  Agreed that all these products should be sealed, but I'm not sure someone painting their nails in an aisle would find that to be a deterent.

Do you really need to ask where have we gone? Shame is a powerful behavior modifier that use to b part of our cultural and religious fabric. Now that "shaming"has been condemned by the PC crowd this is exactly the logical development you would expect. Saddens me for sure, but doesnt surprise me at all. And, as many posters have stated, plenty of sealed product are opened-so sealing is not a deterrent.I now make most of my own face and body care and order from reputable companies online that send my product sealed. Went to walmart once in my life to try flower beauty-couldnt find an item tht hadnt been messed with. Last trip i made to walmart. I do think we have a right as consumers to a modicum of decency-that what i buy from you hasnt been used by someone else. That doesnt make me a sterile freak it makes me a civilized person in my opinion.

Trusted Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

ooppps, I sniff

@colliegirls I have been sniffing all my life. I'm a sniffer.

I will not buy a deodorant that smells, I have thrown so many that were strong or manly! Even on what say smells fresh, a light scent. And yes,I sniff other things in stores people - there ya go I said it Smiley Tongue

I am a firm believer in sampling of products, I know it sounds unreasonable to have a sample bottle or jar out but many places do. Since we are such a nation of major overkill consumption.. with a million products out there for everything it's impossible. I will still sniff before I buy. ..I'm unlike others I guess.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mimi5775 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

ooppps, I sniff

@colliegirls I have been sniffing all my life. I'm a sniffer.

I will not buy a deodorant that smells, I have thrown so many that were strong or manly! Even on what say smells fresh, a light scent. And yes,I sniff other things in stores people - there ya go I said it Smiley Tongue

I am a firm believer in sampling of products, I know it sounds unreasonable to have a sample bottle or jar out but many places do. Since we are such a nation of major overkill consumption.. with a million products out there for everything it's impossible. I will still sniff before I buy. ..I'm unlike others I guess.

I think it is fine IF there is a sample bottle, then try. But to create one's own sample bottle is a completely different thing. Some stores now are viewing it quite differently!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

These conversations reminded me of a manager of a  TJ Maxx sharing that they don't stop shoplifters because they didn't have their own security in the store.  They can't call the local police as they wouldn't have time to do anything else if they had to deal with every shoplifter in all the stores in our shopping area.  She told me they had a man come in with bolt cutters and cut the chains off several leather coats and walked out with them.  Think about this......maybe we should just shop for all new Spring wardrobes in local B&M stores w/o Security!!!  Can't believe I just said this.