Respected Contributor

Product "Samplers"? Are You One?

Recently, while shopping for nail polish at Target, I witnessed a woman and her child sitting cross-legged on the floor. They opened 10 bottles of nail polish and were painting their nails sampling colors.

I found an employee who said there was nothing that could be done! I asked why I then should end up purchasing used nail polish? I received a blank stare.

I witnessed a similar incident at the same store where a woman opened alot of lotion bottles and was sticking her schnoz in for a big whiff! Icky ICK! She even wiped her nose when she got some product on it. Even more nasty I thought.

I always thought that unless there are testers, don't open the product! I was told by another Target employee to purchase the product and then return it if it isn't right for you.

What do you think?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Re: Product "Samplers"? Are You One?

IMO, every personal product should have to have a "non-tamper" seal on it, so that we know what we're getting hasn't been opened by anyone!

That woman is teaching her child that it's okay to do that; so another generation of it coming up.  I'm surprised the employee said there was nothing they could do.  I'd have insisted on seeing the manager and, if I didn't get any satisfaction from him/her, I'd write to Target and ask exactly how they plan to protect their customers from any health hazards.

And, although it's not a "popular" thing to do, I'd have stood over the woman and said "Are you planning to BUY all of those bottles you've opened?"  Maybe even snapped a photo to post on FB!  Smiley Mad

Respected Contributor

I agree.  It's wrong but if the store says they can't do anything about it then ...

I have found social media to be a great resource for this type of thing.  When you get nowhere talking to a store employee or even a manager, complain on their Facebook and see how fast it gets taken care of.  Or at the least, you made them aware of it and customers find it unaccpetable enough that they will not make a purchase in that store.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I would like to know why there is nothing the store clerk could do about it? You can't tell me that a business has to allow people to come in their store & do this. I would not do that. Most times as far as lotion goes they have a tester. If you want to go in the store open a package of nail polish & use it buy it. I do eat A grape when I buy grapes. LOL!!!

We were in a Wal-Mart or Target late one night to pick up something for a sore throat when we were traveling. We saw a couple of people pouring something on the floor. Next thing we know one of them was screaming & had slipped & fell down. I suppose they wanted to sue the store.

Valued Contributor

I believe I would have gone to the Service Desk and asked for a Manager.  That nail polish incident is infuriating.  Where have we gone with Right/Wrong, Manners, Proper Behavior?  If I sound like an old fuddy dud, I'm not that old.  These type of actions would have been publicly shamed at one time.  Agreed that all these products should be sealed, but I'm not sure someone painting their nails in an aisle would find that to be a deterent.

Esteemed Contributor

ooppps, I sniff.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

IMO, every personal product should have to have a "non-tamper" seal on it, so that we know what we're getting hasn't been opened by anyone!

That woman is teaching her child that it's okay to do that; so another generation of it coming up.  I'm surprised the employee said there was nothing they could do.  I'd have insisted on seeing the manager and, if I didn't get any satisfaction from him/her, I'd write to Target and ask exactly how they plan to protect their customers from any health hazards.

And, although it's not a "popular" thing to do, I'd have stood over the woman and said "Are you planning to BUY all of those bottles you've opened?"  Maybe even snapped a photo to post on FB!  Smiley Mad

I thought about surreptitiously taking pics but she didn't look like anyone I'd want to tangle with if she saw me!

Honored Contributor

I was in an Ulta store TRYING to find an unopened eyeliner pencil and everyone I found in the shade I wanted had been unsealed. There were about 4 out of the 5 that someone had unpeeled the cello from around it. I took those up to the girl at the register; what happened to them, I have no idea!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls

You are to be commended for your HONESTY! Thank you for that! But ewwwww.

Super Contributor

I sniff lotions and shampoo before I buy as well! I don't see what's wrong with flipping open the cap and taking a quick sniff.  It's not like I'm sticking my fingers or nose all in the product? I never do anything more than that though.  I was at Ulta looking for a specific shade of a lipstick and all the ones in the shade I wanted had been used! I took them to the cash register and the clerk said it happens a lot and she thanked me for letting them know so they could put out new stock.