Respected Contributor

Re: Product "Samplers"? Are You One?

[ Edited ]

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@colliegirls

You are to be commended for your HONESTY! Thank you for that! But ewwwww.

I don't touch anything, I whiff it under my nose!  Haha!!!  I don't want to buy stinky stuff!!!

I totally sniff shampoo/conditioner/lotion type products.  I don't use or test them, but I unscrew the cap and smell them before purchasing.  I don't see why that is disgusting either.  Obviously other people have touched each and every bottle on the shelf.  That's how they got there.  

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

@colliegirls

You are to be commended for your HONESTY! Thank you for that! But ewwwww.

I don't touch anything, I whiff it under my nose!  Haha!!!  I don't want to buy stinky stuff!!!

I totally sniff shampoo/conditioner/lotion type products.  I don't use or test them, but I unscrew the cap and smell them before purchasing.  I don't see why that is disgusting either.  Obviously other people have touched each and every bottle on the shelf.  That's how they got there.  

I think a customer has a right to a fresh product. The moment it's opened it's no longer factory fresh. Touching a bottle isn't the issue. Besides that, the woman I saw was squeezing the product up and got some on her nostrils, wiped it off, closed the cap and continued on. Gross.

How about doing what the Target employee suggested, buy it. Return it if you don't like the smell or whatever. Seems reasonable, then it gets charged back as defective as opposed to someone else having to purchase a "used" personal care product.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

these posts just show how ridiculous we have become. 

What has happened to the human race? 

Honestly, I could take the phrase "...how ridiculous we have become" either way.  Isn't it a little ridiculous that humans are repulsed by other humans "touching" things that they've touched?  It's a little naive to assume that everything in a grocery store or department store is somehow "sterile".  Everything you buy has been "touched". 

Taking it a different direction, I read that people on these boards get get repulsed by the idea that someone has tried on a piece of clothing that they purchase.... I shop at Macy's.  I see the dressing room items get put back out to the rack.  I assume everything I buy has been touched by someone else and treat it accordingly (ie wash my clothes before wearing, don't eat off of dishes before washing them, etc). Shoes have been tried on by other customers - both here at Q and every department store.  Even high end stores have dressing rooms.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is off topic and political

Trusted Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@60sgirl wrote:

these posts just show how ridiculous we have become. 

What has happened to the human race? 

Honestly, I could take the phrase "...how ridiculous we have become" either way.  Isn't it a little ridiculous that humans are repulsed by other humans "touching" things that they've touched?  It's a little naive to assume that everything in a grocery store or department store is somehow "sterile".  Everything you buy has been "touched". 

Taking it a different direction, I read that people on these boards get get repulsed by the idea that someone has tried on a piece of clothing that they purchase.... I shop at Macy's.  I see the dressing room items get put back out to the rack.  I assume everything I buy has been touched by someone else and treat it accordingly (ie wash my clothes before wearing, don't eat off of dishes before washing them, etc). Shoes have been tried on by other customers - both here at Q and every department store.  Even high end stores have dressing rooms.

well obviously because I said that phrase in the context of this OP i.e. opening bottles of nail polish and trying them on, and said that referring to the posts in this thread, then it was not meant to take in any other direction. I am not repulsed by someone touching a bottle or if other people tried on pants before me. But to me, opening bottles of nail polish that can only be thrown out after you've tried them out, is just stealing. And that repulses me. But that's just me. Cheating, stealing, robbing, all the same, in the sense that people seem to have the attitude of "I'll do whatever I want and no one can stop me". I'm so glad I don't own a company. Just seeing the little bit of unacceptable behavior I do see is bad enough. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mrsq2022

Why would you think that it's odd for someone to want to purchase an unopened product?

In most stores, it's not try before you buy, yet people take the liberty to just open stuff and think it's ok. In big box stores they can probably absorb the loss and then just charge more, but how about your local small store?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

This post has been removed by QVC. Part of a political disagreement.

Honored Contributor

NO! It makes me ill when I've been to stores like Marshalls and Ross (don't go to those stores anymore) and even Nordstroms rack and all their skincare/makeup/body lotions, etc are used and disgusting! I can't believe they are still on the shelves looking like that. I cannot believe these stores allow that? And who buys that used, gross stuff??

I always pull the bottles from the very back because I am always worried about people having used the products. I am kind of obsessive about that.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

I openly admit to sniffing fabric softeners and/or laundry detergents, but I don't think I've ever sniffed any personal products. And I really prefer to buy sealed products when I can.  I can't imagine having the nerve to sit and polish my nails in a store, but then I am sure there have been worse things.

I do understand why they don't do anything though.   I was in a department store recently, and just happened to be chatting with a sales person and the new manager there.  The beeper that goes off when you leave the store went off once, and the customer turned and came in to have a device removed. A few minutes later, two teens left the store and the beeper went crazy!!  I asked the manager why they didn't stop the girls.  She explained that they do lose some money by letting them go, but they would lose more if they stopped someone, because the "shoplifter" would probably sue them and they would have to keep an attorney on retainer for resulting lawsuits.  Apparently they can't even ask them to return to the store. I jokingly said that I might just take the two items I had in my basket and leave, and she assured me that no one would do anything to stop me.  A sad world we live in today.

I wonder where the line is drawn, because I've seen Security people chase shoppers into the parking lots ... perhaps if they have the person shoplifting on videotape?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I would like to know why there is nothing the store clerk could do about it? You can't tell me that a business has to allow people to come in their store & do this. I would not do that. Most times as far as lotion goes they have a tester. If you want to go in the store open a package of nail polish & use it buy it. I do eat A grape when I buy grapes. LOL!!!

We were in a Wal-Mart or Target late one night to pick up something for a sore throat when we were traveling. We saw a couple of people pouring something on the floor. Next thing we know one of them was screaming & had slipped & fell down. I suppose they wanted to sue the store.

My guess is that they don't want clerks to take it upon themselves to wrestle someone to the ground and tear the item out of their hands, if necessary.   I think they are told to ignore it and leave it to the Security Department employees .... someone is always watching the cameras.  I've seen Security people take shoplifters into custody, but there must be a very strict protocol for doing so.

Respected Contributor

I guarantee you in my small town people would not get away with some of the things posted here.  Shop lifters are caught and listed in our newspaper by name.  And, customers around here wouldn't go find a store employee to tell someone to stop opening and using products.  We tell them ourselves.  And make a scene doing it.  As is should be......