New Contributor

FDA Investigation of WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products

ISSUE: The FDA is investigating reports of hair loss, hair breakage, balding, itching, and rash associated with the use of WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products.

While the FDA continues its investigation, consumers should be aware of reactions reported in association with the use of WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products.  Consumers who experience a reaction after using WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products should stop using the product and consult with their dermatologist or other health care provider. The agency also urges consumers to report to FDA any reactions they may have experienced when using these products.

The FDA has not yet determined a possible cause for the adverse events that have been reported, and will provide additional updates as new information becomes available.

BACKGROUND: As of July 7, 2016, the FDA had received 127 adverse event reports directly from consumers about WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products, the largest number of reports ever associated with any cosmetic hair cleansing product, including cleansing conditioners. FDA is also investigating more than 21,000 complaints reported directly to Chaz Dean, Inc. and Guthy Renker, LLC that FDA learned of during inspections of manufacturing and distribution facilities.

The FDA has not yet determined a possible cause for the adverse events that have been reported, and today has called on the company to “provide any data that might help us to better understand the reports of hair loss associated with the use of WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products.” The FDA also has reached out to physicians and other health care providers asking them to notify their patients of hair loss and other complaints associated with the use of these products and to report adverse events to the agency. 

RECOMMENDATION: While the FDA continues its investigation, consumers should be aware of reactions reported in association with the use of WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products. Consumers who experience a reaction after using WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products should stop using the product and consult with their dermatologist or other health care provider.

See the “Dear Healthcare Provider letter” and “FDA Information for Consumers” for additional information.

Healthcare professionals and consumers are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

• Complete and submit the report Online: www.fda.gov/MedWatch/report
  • Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178

Read the MedWatch safety alert, including links to the FDA Statement, Dear Healthcare Provider letter, and Consumer Information, at:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm511890.h...

Honored Contributor

Re: FDA Investigation of WEN by Chaz Dean Cleansing Conditioner products

[ Edited ]

Considering how much WEN gets sold, 127 complaints is a very tiny number. And considering one of the medications I've been using for over 20 years is FDA approved even though one known side effect is literally death, I very much doubt WEN will be pulled off shelves over this.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh no!  This could get ugly. You better duck your head and run!! Tomatoes are on their way through the air!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls LOLWoman LOL  My first thought also "uh-oh."

QVC Customer Care

Frequent Contributor

I heard peoples were having problems with wen's hair product because they were not getting the scalp and hair follicals clean enough and if you want to continue to use this product to make sure you rotate it with  a good hair and scalp cleansing product I always use a tea tree based shampoo at least once a week no matter what i'm currently favoring.  I wish people would wash their hair as often as they wash the rest of their bodies. I can smell unwashed hair a block away. the oil is overpowering.

Frequent Contributor

maybe the fda does the same kind of job as our FBI.

Respected Contributor

Taking cover!

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

Wonder how long it will take for this thread to crash & burn?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, lets see. Once again posted by someone who has minimal posts.  I am now wondering with all this that if some of these posters are working for the trial lawyers in this case posting dissemination information using the QVC forum to place doubt. Makes on wonder.  Maybe, if someone had a goodly number of posts, and had posted on the WEN  forum, maybe.... But, the FDA, wow gives credence doesn't it?  The FDA, the very ones who said Olive oil in bad for you, oops no its not, or how about this: apples have a film, or maybe this: don't consume too much fat... PS your hair is falling out, consume more fat.  Yeah, those so called Experts.  If the article is to believed at all.