Trusted Contributor

Re: when I see ads for Rx prescriptions

@Mary Bailey  I am a little confused. I don't know of any RX involved in having a Dexiscan.  I have one done every 3 years because I have RA. It is only an scan of your bones in the lower half of your body. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes.  After that it is up to you if you want to take any meds to increase your bone density should you need to. The test shows if you have osteoporosis or osteopenia or if your bones are healthy.  I chose not to take any meds, Dr. said ok.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

I agree 100%.

I had one of those scans some years back.  When I was prescribed medication, and I researched all the potential problems (which are not that uncommon), I opted not to take it.  Too scarey. 

I also work out religiously with weights because of benefits. 

A friend of a friend who has taken those meds for years has now developed the serious jaw problem that is a possible side effect.  She will need surgery to save her jaw, but can't have it until the medication is out of her system which will take about 3 months (she got the yearly shot, which from what I read is the worse choice for the very reason that it stays in your system, and should problems arise, you're stuck with it.)

That happened to my neighbor.  

She had to have bone grafts done on her jaw.  Some years later she heard about a class action suit but when she refused to blame the doctor, or dentist or medication they told her she wasn't eligible to participate.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I had my first DEXA scan done several years ago it was revealed to me that I needed to do something about my thinning bones. That was when my doctor suggested I get a yearly IV dose of Zometa until my scans became normal. I did and about one year later I experienced cervical spine degeneration and needed surgery or become paralyzed from the neck down. Several doctors could not give me a reason why this happened to my neck but one doctor, the one who prescribed the Zometa, told me that my situation was a rare and severe reaction to the Zometa. I was no longer being offered that kind of Rx and if it was then I would turn it down. I have since taken a proactive approach to getting my bones in good health through diet and exercise. My last scan was normal...thank the Heavens above!Woman Happy

All of my neck bones, including some discs, were so beyond repair that they had to remove all of them and replace them with fake bones and screws. I was in surgery for more than 10 hours with 13 doctors in the room the whole time. I had to sign  my name on the dotted line before the operation saying I might die from this.

Oh my goodness, that is such a frightening story.  That's great that you're better now.

Even if these kinds of things are not THAT common, still, who would want to take a chance and be one of the "few" people who develop such serious side effects?  And how does a drug that is suppose to be good for bones, make bones deteriorate??? This is what boggles my mind. 

I know that there actually are miracle drugs that can save lives, but there is so much medication out there being dispensed at the drop of a hat, it has to be for a money-making reason, more than anything else.

My mother who had to be on various meds for thinning blood, thyroid, etc. at the end of her life, swore that she felt some of her feeling poorly was because of the medications.  Maybe she was right.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a GYN who sent me for one of those scans but then mused that she would never prescribe the meds for me because I have a history of ulcers. I’ve worked out with high impact sports for all of my life and my bones looked good anyway. Too bad the rest of me isn’t quite so good.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jtdmum wrote:

@Mary Bailey wrote:

it's the side effects more than the costs really

It's the Biologics that have the ads that are so scary.  The drugs are usually manufactured from something living and it changes your RNA when the drug takes effect.  

I'd rather know up front what I'm getting into.  Reminds me how blessed I am to have good health and to take care of myself, not take anything for granted.

My personal decision was to take the biologics. I had a choice - side effects or living in agony with progressive joint damage and ending up incapacitated and on disability. 

I've been on them since Enbrel came out. Now I'm on a stronger infusion. Thankfully have had no serious side effects. In fact my side effects include living almost a pain free life, working and being independent and able to do most activities. My only joint damage was from pre-biologics.

That said, I will draw the line if talk of any osteo drugs comes up. I've heard too many horror stories, and there's enough pharmaceuticals in me.

Esteemed Contributor

Side effects can be brutal.  And, if you are given a script for one drug it may be contraindicated with something else you are taking.  Unfortunately, not every pharmacy catches that and the patient has major problems.

All of the commercials only add to the cost of prescription drugs!

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey

Every adult can make their own choice. I just had a DexiScan about a week ago, not sure what PA is that you won't take. While my numbers, in the parts they scanned, they were barely under the normal range, so Osteopenia was my diagnosis. No RX, but my PCP leaves what I will take up to me. 

Will have another Vitamin D and a Calcium check on my next blood draw. Hey! I need a Vitamin D supplement, so I choose go take it.

Your life/your bones, your joints! Not very many an RX that doesn't have side effects, even aspirin, if you have a high INR/ProTime readings. Decisions/Decisions, we all have to make them. I make the choices I believe are right for my body, to heck with the 10 pages of possible side effects!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

Side effects can be brutal.  And, if you are given a script for one drug it may be contraindicated with something else you are taking.  Unfortunately, not every pharmacy catches that and the patient has major problems.

All of the commercials only add to the cost of prescription drugs!

Yes! The patients are paying for all the ridiculous marketing. TV  is saturated with drug commercials all day and night. It's between patient and doctor!

Honored Contributor

@grandma2pkmh You are absolutely correct.No drug involved. Just an x ray that measures the bone.

Honored Contributor

When I see ads for Rx drugs it just makes my stomach turn. So many people now a days can't afford their Rx and these $#%%@$%^& CEO at these drug companies waste bundles of money on these ads for drugs that you can only get with a Rx. Part of the medicare wellness physical now is to ask if you can afford your Rx drugs.