Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

Drink more water.  I have to drink at least 4 bottles of water per day or I have problems. I can tell when I don't  I fell kind of spinny.

Me, too! I have to drink lots of water or else I'm in trouble. It's awful. Vertigo gets so bad and I can't get out of bed. When I do I get nausea and I can't walk without falling down so I have to crawl to get to the bathroom! 

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

afriend sent me a video clip of a doctor who demonstrates the maneuver to stop the inner ear crystals from causing the vertigo.  Google Carol Foster, MD.

of course, since I saved the video, I haven’t needed it.

we t to my doctor and she did some simple tests and asked for background.  Turns out I had BPPV:  benign paroxysm positional vertigo.  Mine occurred when the barometric pressure dropped over 20 points !  Anecdotal yes, but never came back.

As some posters may have suggested, get checked out...just in case.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

I have never experienced this. Lack of  balance?  Many times, even went to 12 sessions of Balance Physical Therapy. Pretty good now, 

One of my co-workers years ago had a long duration  problem with this, but that was in the 1960's, and I would be surprised if there aren't newer methods of finding and treating the source today. His was some type of inner ear problem.

It was about 2 years back when my friend, who now lives in Arizona, came over with his son to give me an estimate on removing 12" blocks from my basement wall. He was in masonry and when he moved turned his business over to his son.

He looked a bit unsteady and I asked him what was up. He said after the flight here he began experiencing episodes of being off balance. He went to an ENT here and was told it was somehow related to his eyes/vision.

After returning to Arizona an ENT told him it was some type of imbalance of inner ear fluids, and put him on some prescription med. Didn't help him much so the ENT did some type of invasive procedure, he didn't know the name. Little by little he had fewer and fewer episodes, which at some point ended.

Hope your ENT figures out your problem and gets you on your way to eliminating these issues.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Having bout of vertigo. First time. Just awful  Going to ENT monday for headturning maniputlaion.  Any other suggestions?  I know so many different degrees, causes, and helps...

@bargainsgirl 

You also require vibratory therapy as well.  This is a hand-held device, which the doctor places on the temporal bone behind the ear on the aftected side.  Works wonders for my vertigo before I moved.

After I moved, my new ENT placed me in a huge chair, told me to lean my head back, he grabbed a hold of a black "bowl" and place is cupping around the left side of my head and told me it would provide the vibration therapy I had before, then he turned it on.  Oh my word!  It was awful.  That darn bowl traveled on my head from left to right to left to right, then I yelled and yelled for him to turn it off because the machine was so loud.

The outcome?  Made my vertigo worse.  He then sent me to Vestibular Rehabilitation, where this very young person placed blackout goggles on me and did some weird head movement stuff in which she could detect my eye movements on a screen.  She indicated my eye movements were all wrong.  At that point, I removed the goggles, asked her if she knew what she was doing, received no answer, so left.

I'm still battling vertigo in 2 position which didn't exist previously.

Frequent Contributor

I am being treated for vertigo/meineires went to ent had all the tests did have the crystal manipulation. I was put on a blood pressure med( don’t have high BP at all) and valium they seem to be helping. I had horrid nausea it’s gone still have small amounts of vertigo.

i had to have my potassium checked from the med was low trying to eat high potassium foods to keep it up. supposed to be on BP meds for 3 months after dizziness stops but my great Gp said 3 months then off. The meds are helping some. 

It really sucks!  All my tests for inner ear came back normal I don’t have all The Menieres symptoms but my Ent feels it is Menieres. I have very mild dizziness and had nausea for almost 2 months that is better.

keep up with blood tests to monitor any meds they put you on.

Respected Contributor

Went to ENT yesterday.  After various manipulations, looking over all my tests, etc. it was determined I have Labyrinthsitis which is inflamation of the inner ear mostly due to a viral infection.  Treatment is TIME, continue meclizine and valium as needed for that seasick feeling. The spinning stopped completely (thank goodness) which was NOT caused by crystals, just a symptom of the inflamation.  I am feeling better and the good news is this usually does NOT recur!