Respected Contributor

Re: question about expiration dates

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

I don't put my fingers in my eyes!

@Zhills - Neither do I.  What a silly comment for someone to make in response to your post.

(But last time I looked, my fingers weren't expired, so maybe I'll try it...OUCH!  That hurt!)  Woman Wink

Touching your face, rubbing your eyes, is the number one way the common cold is spread. And most folks don't even realize they are doing it. That's why washing your hands is good hygiene. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have a dog, so every time I walk in the kitchen, I wash my hands again!  Probably 50 times a day!

I do try to keep my hands away from my face, but I certainly don't put my hands in my eyes compared to how drops go into the eyes!

I would not use expired drops in my eyes.  I love having my eyesight too much!

Honored Contributor

I rely on my common sense with food and don't toss anything edible simply because of the date.  

Cough syrup, vitamins, ointment, etc., are more likely to be tossed at the end of the month they expire.  

Trusted Contributor

Is it just Saline solution? If so I have never had a problem with saline that has gone past the expiration date. I have bottles of that stuff and have no problems with them. It's just saline. I have had contacts for over 45 years. I'm sure most people would toss them but if it's unopened it's fine. I've used the Renew, Opti Free and a bunch of others along with their "multi purpose solutions" past the date. Never ever had a problem with my eyes. I take my lenses out every night and soak them overnight. Had pink eye once in my life (got it from my daughter when she was 5) Other than that not a single problem ever (other than being extremely near sighted lol).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Zhills - Neither do I.  What a silly comment for someone to make in response to your post.

(But last time I looked, my fingers weren't expired, so maybe I'll try it...OUCH!  That hurt!)  Woman Wink

Touching your face, rubbing your eyes, is the number one way the common cold is spread. And most folks don't even realize they are doing it. That's why washing your hands is good hygiene. 

@Bhvbum - After I finished college (biology major), I worked for a time as an optician.  I'm well aware of people's habits and necessary hygiene.

And I would still not use any in-the-eye solution after its expiration date.  Especially with contact lenses, proper hygiene is of the utmost importance.  I saw enough results of the lack of it, believe me.

But your previous comment was "I laughed when someone said they wouldn't put something expired in their eyes, I wonder how often they put their fingers in their eyes?"   That's not the same thing at all.  And ever heard of "Two wrongs don't make a right"?  One severe eye infection will teach a person not to risk using expired products in the eye.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

@Bhvbum - After I finished college (biology major), I worked for a time as an optician.  I'm well aware of people's habits and necessary hygiene.

And I would still not use any in-the-eye solution after its expiration date.  Especially with contact lenses, proper hygiene is of the utmost importance.  I saw enough results of the lack of it, believe me.

But your previous comment was "I laughed when someone said they wouldn't put something expired in their eyes, I wonder how often theyput their fingers in their eyes?"   That's not the same thing at all.  And ever heard of "Two wrongs don't make a right"?  One severe eye infection will teach a person not to risk using expired products in the eye.

@bhvbum wrote:  

By MD PhD Ophthalmology & Neurophysiology, Washington Univ/BPEI 

Ok, I should probably have answered this one anonymously, but here goes

First the disclaimers : this is not meant as medical advice, just an opinion, probably just a wild guess, don't take advice from strangers on the internet, and don't run with scissors.

The FDA would say no, don't use any expired medications. Manufacturers were required by law in 1979 to mark all drugs with an expiration date before which the manufacturers guarantee full potency and safety. IMO it is advantageous for the manufacturers to use very short expiration dates. It reduces the chance that someone will sue them for an ineffective drug or drug reaction because the drug had deteriorated. Also they sell (a lot) more drugs, because people (and stores?) have to throw out a lot of unused/unsold meds. Profit motive.

The US military commissioned a study by the FDA because they were throwing out tons (probably literally) of expired drugs every year that they had stockpiled . The study showed that 90% of the drugs tested were good even 15 y after the stamped expiration date. Ones that expire more quickly are po nitroglycerin, probably tetracycline, insulin, some liquid antibiotics.

So, if the drops are sealed, have been stored in a cool, dry place (not the trunk of your car for 5 years) my guess would be the drops would still be safe and effective.

Addendum: I realize now that my answer is not what most other people answering this question have said. I know of many patients who have used eye drops they have had at home for awhile for an eye condition, and when they bring them in, I can see that some of them have been expired for awhile. I have never seen an adverse reaction to the use of these expired drops. I have never seen an instance where I was sure the expired medications were ineffective if they were being used for the correct indication/medical condition.

I would throw out any opened and used medications that have gone beyond their expiration date, and any drops that you may have touched the dropper tip to your fingers or your eye or any surface that could have potentially contaminated the drops, whether or not they have expired. That's just safe/smart.

Esteemed Contributor

They are still good is my bet. I use "expired" meds all the time. The only exception is refrigerated meds.  They just want to sell you more.

Honored Contributor

If you can afford to replace them, throw them out!  Why take a chance?  Absolutely no point to worry about and don't buy more than one or two at a time in the future.  

If money is that tight it might be an issue.  If not? Throw the old ones out.