Respected Contributor

Re: question about expiration dates

I am funny about expiration dates.  I don't like to use anything past its expiration or even with a short time before expiration.  I prefer to pitch and buy new fresh.  I worked with a woman who ate lots of expired food that was in our work kitchen and said she also did so at home.  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  I hate that I messed up the order I used them, Was very surprised!  Plus it really grates on my frugal nature too..  However, I will do a quick check with the company because I would like to know what they say.  however will probably throw them - because as we've all said - it's for my eyes.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Throw them away b/c the preservative loses its effectiveness after a specific length of time which means you could be using something which has started to grow things and it's usually fungus. 

I know about stuff like that b/c I worked in a quality-control lab where they tested products for contamination. Most of the contaminants found, especially in saline and water-based products, were fungal elements.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@Bhvbum @Janey2 @ScrapHappy @ScrapHappy @Zhills @reviewer from sc 

Thanks everyone - appreciate the feedback - all very valid pov's. Maybe I will call the company tomorrow and see what they say, hopefully they are easy to reach. (don't want to spend a ton of time on this!)  Agree with the notion that the fact this goes in the eyes makes it very important to seriously know that it's fine before using.

@moonandthestars 

Well, it also depends on how easily you can get these, refill availability, and what your co-pay is on them. 

Why not stop by where you get your prescriptions filled and talk to the pharmacist

Respected Contributor

Don't waste your time calling the company. They have to tell you not to use it or they will be liable if something adverse happens.

Honored Contributor

I would toss the bottle that expired in October and use the one that expires this month.

Honored Contributor

I volunteered in a food bank for several years and we would keep food one year after expiration date except for baby food but I don't think I would put anything in my eyes that is expired but that is just me.  

Trusted Contributor

@moonandthestars A lot of things that are past expiration dates will be ok to use, but in the case of contact solution, something that goes into your eyes I would not chance it.  The dollars saved won't be worth the potential risk to your eyes. 

Honored Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

I don't put my fingers in my eyes!

@Zhills - Neither do I.  What a silly comment for someone to make in response to your post.

(But last time I looked, my fingers weren't expired, so maybe I'll try it...OUCH!  That hurt!)  Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee   Thanks for always giving us a knowlegable opinion based on your education and experience.  I'm sure you have helped many of us with your informative posts.