Trusted Contributor

The fact that you don't like the counseling could either mean it's working or making you uncomfortable or that you need a different counselor. I found counseling to be enormous help with anxiety. The right medication can also help. You need to discuss this with the psychiatrist and your counselor.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor
On 6/1/2014 natesgrandma said:

The medication I'm taking is remeron - it was prescribed for my sleeping and my nausea and lack of eating. It was prescribed by a psychiatrist. I really don't like the counseling and I am afraid of trying a new medication, but this one is not working.

Hi! The side effects of Remeron include dizziness, anxiety, panic attacks, trouble sleeping, irritability, and restlessness. It is prescribed for depression.

I'd get in touch with your psychiatrist and get an appointment. You need to get a medical work-up and a prescription change.

Keep me posted!! ((((natesgrandma))))

Honored Contributor

Make up a short mantra, memorize it and repeat it over and over again -- either out loud, if possible, or inside your head when you feel anxious. You also might say a short prayer asking for help, and make some gesture with one of your hands to go along with the prayer. Focusing on the prayer and the hand movement will take your mind off the topic that is making you anxious. Before you know it, the anxiety has passed.

Occasional Contributor

I highly recommend a book called Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weeks. My brother told me about it years ago - it helped him and me. She teaches you how to float through the attacks. Good luck to you.

Hannah

Respected Contributor

If you've been on it awhile and it isn't helping you you need to consider switching. Also ask about Ativan (lorazepam). It's a mild tranquilizer that will help with the attacks.

Honored Contributor
On 6/1/2014 natesgrandma said:

I have anxiety attacks all the time. does anyone have any tips on how to get through these? I do have a dr. and I do go to counseling. This is becoming so debilitating. I have been having real problems with anxiety this past year, it is not easy. My husband is tired of it and I just don't know what to do anymore. I have been on prescription medication and I really don't like it. I don't even think it helps and I really don't want to try another one. My symptoms are: dizzy and lightheadness, just feeling sick.

I was diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic Disorder and Clinical Depression in the mid 1990's. Spent 7+ days as a mental ward inpatient. During that time they worked with individual counseling/group counseling/classes pertaining to causes and prognosis for a recovery.

Unless you have had a specific diagnosis by a Doctor of Psychiatry of a Panic/Anxiety Disorder, it is not wise to self-diagnose as it, like with many others, can be a sign of just plain ole stress and more of it than your mind and/or body at times seems to be able to handle.

For me I will never consider myself as "recovered, but always in recovery". Diseases of this nature are not usually the type that just up and go away never to return. Even with proper medications and regular therapy some people still struggle a lot with this type of "diagnosed mental issue".

It is not unusual for a spouse or others close to you not to really comprehend what one with this disease is going through daily, sometimes hourly or even less. One can be feeling on top of the world one minute and so far down the next minute they lose their perspective and desire to live. Yes, with this disease it does happen and I work my mind almost constantly monitoring how I feel and if something feels different mentally? I have ready made ways with which to deal with them.

Forget about what your husband or anyone else thinks unless they have been through this "deep black hole in life". They cannot and will not completely understand unless they serve their time dealing with this terrible part of way too many people's lives.

Wishing you the best but never self diagnose be it a physical or mental issue. Sore bodies do not equal broken parts. Painful minds does not necessarily equal Anxiety/Panic Disorder and I can tell you there is a very,very distinct difference between "lots of stress" and having this worst of the worst disorder that many suffer through much of their lives.

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor
Google SVT or supra ventricular tachycardia... its a heart condition that is OFTEN misdiagnosed as panic/anxiety attacks. You may be trying to treat the wrong condition. According to my cardiologist over half of the cases are misdiagnosed.
Honored Contributor

natesgrandma, do check into gilmoregirl's info, which can be found immediately above. Your lightheadedness makes something other than anxiety a possibility. It is worth looking into.

Trusted Contributor

Please check back with your psychiatrist; Remeron is not for anxiety. And like others said, if you don't like counseling, find a new counselor. I am a licensed therapist and have a long time problem with anxiety but a great doctor.

PS-Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weeks is a great self-help book; I got it over 20 years ago.

If you can dream it you can do it--Walt Disney
Trusted Contributor

I don't think it's helpful to suggest to someone with an anxiety disorder that it could be a heart issue. As for Remeron, it is often prescribed for anxiety particularly with loss of appetite.Discuss these issues with your doctor's.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.