Super Contributor
Buspirone is for anxiety and is not addictive. Antidepressants are so hard to taper off. Very hard. At least it was for me. Xanax also works but is addictive and has to be tapered.
Frequent Contributor
On 6/25/2014 Ford1224 said:

I don't know what prescription drug you are on (probably an antidepressant, which does nothing for anxiety).

If I may, I would like to suggest Xanax (alprazolam is the generic). You could do well on a very low dose, and there are no side effects as long as you monitor yourself and never increase the dosage without consulting your doctor.

IMO, nothing cures anxiety and panic attacks more efficiently and faster. It's an old med, and it's cheap, so doctors rarely prescribe it anymore . . . plus it is used on the street combined with other bad drugs, which is another reason doctors don't like to prescribe it. Obviously you wouldn't be doing that.

I hate to disagree, but I disagree. I take Zoloft , an antidepressant, for anxiety. And it most definitely works.

natesgrandma, you have to give meds time to start working. It took me 9 weeks to get my Zoloft up to a therapeutic dose, and to start feeling better. And I had side effects along the way which were pretty yucky. But they're all gone now. And while waiting for your med to kick in, benzos ( such as Xanax or Ativan ) can be used temporarily to get thru the anxiety.

Occasional Contributor

You have to go to a therapist who you don't mind discussing things with. I have been suffering with attacks for 38 years that's a long time. I have worked in Manhattan for many years and at first it was a struggle but after years of doing it I was fine. I have good days and some hard days. I'm on a low dose of medications now but I have been on higher doses at times. Sometimes you take too much of something and it makes you tired. It's a catch 22 you need the medication but you have to find the exact right dose. Try to keep your mind occupied with other things. And meditation is also extremely helpful. Although it's hard dealing with anxiety and panic attacks they are not deadly. You have to put one foot infront of the other. Each day try to do a little more. When you really feel badly allow yourself to feel that way. However, don't run away from it face it and the more you say here I am the less you will actually feel. Good Luck.