Frequent Contributor
On 6/1/2014 adelle38 said:

I don't think it's helpful to suggest to someone with an anxiety disorder that it could be a heart issue. As for Remeron, it is often prescribed for anxiety particularly with loss of appetite.Discuss these issues with your doctor's.

Silly me... its far more helpful to continue to treat the wrong disorder. If one was to Google SVT, specifically SVT & anxiety in the same search one would see that the symptoms are nearly the same... and are often misdiagnosed. But it's much safer and more helpful to ignore the possibility of a misdiagnosis, especially when OP's treatment plan is so successful.
Frequent Contributor

Anxiety is one the major symptoms of perimenopause and menopause. I take Zoloft, with an occasional Ativan as needed. I see a therapist as well. Hormone imbalance plays a huge roll with my anxiety so I use Progesterone cream also. Soooo many woman in my age range (50) have too much estrogen ( mainly from everything in our environment that mimics estrogen in our bodies ) so the cream helps to level me off. Progesterone is a calming hormone and helps alot.

Trusted Contributor
On 6/1/2014 gilmoregirl said:

I don't think it's helpful to suggest to someone with an anxiety disorder that it could be a heart issue. As for Remeron, it is often prescribed for anxiety particularly with loss of appetite.Discuss these issues with your doctor's.

Silly me... its far more helpful to continue to treat the wrong disorder. If one was to Google SVT, specifically SVT & anxiety in the same search one would see that the symptoms are nearly the same... and are often misdiagnosed. But it's much safer and more helpful to ignore the possibility of a misdiagnosis, especially when OP's treatment plan is so successful.

The OP is being treated by a family doctor, psychiatrist and a counselor. Presumably, they know more about her health situation than Google does.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Good Adrenal Fatigue - Dr Lee is the best site to read up on.

Adrenal Fatigue could bring on Anxiety, most Dr's do not recognize "Fatigue" in the adrenals until they are in failure. I am doing much better now that I am taking a full dose of Adrenals per day.

Good Luck!! So sorry about your anxiety issue, I know how hard it is to live with and you cannot control it Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Not trying to bait a fight here, but from personal experience, I found that by googling my symptoms that were undiagnosed and untreated by my very attentive internist, I was able to discover -- and present to my doctor -- the correct diagnosis for what was going on with me. My doctor is also involved in research, and perhaps because of this, he is willing to listen to all sorts of input. This is not to say he doesn't caution against over-using the Internet and frightening myself needlessly. He does. However, he and one of the foremost gynecological surgeons in my area did pay attention to something I unearthed on the Internet that proved to be descriptive of my problem. Both welcomed my information, which they regarded as pertinent, and acted accordingly. These are two very astute doctors, I would like to add. Highly regarded and acknowledged as exceptional in a Metro DC publication. (And, as I already indicated, they shot down some previous thoughts from me, so it isn't as though they submit to my every notion.)

My point: Googling just might lead to an answer that was overlooked up to this time. One never knows.

Frequent Contributor
On 6/2/2014 adelle38 said:
On 6/1/2014 gilmoregirl said:

The OP is being treated by a family doctor, psychiatrist and a counselor. Presumably, they know more about her health situation than Google does.

I'm sure that's the presumption in ALL of the misdiagnosed cases... and they (all 3 doctors) are doing such an outstanding job of treating the OP'S symptoms that they've resorted to posting on a forum looking for relief. I'm sorry... whose point were you trying to make again??
Honored Contributor
On 6/1/2014 hannahbanana2 said:

I highly recommend a book called Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weeks. My brother told me about it years ago - it helped him and me. She teaches you how to float through the attacks. Good luck to you.

Hannah

Her books (I had two) saved my life during a very difficult menopause in which I suffered as many as ten panic attacks a day. I read those books (and one other) over and over again until I could quote full paragraphs. The pages turned yellow by the time I got through the menopausal storm.

I was also put on very low dose Xanax (.25 mg three times a day) by my GP. Xanax (generic alprazolam) is extremely effective in stopping physical panic attacks, and the Weekes books helped my mental OC issues. They are very old (even when I read them in the early 90s), but written in easy to understand prose. I would come home from work, cook for the family, then go to bed with my books. That regimen allowed me to get through my days for five years.

I suggest you take Hannah's advice and pick them up. There might be more than two, but as I said, I only had the two, the second title was simply "More Hope and Help for Your Nerves."

Best of luck in overcoming your anxiety issues. Life can be good again.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Ever hear of Lucinda Bassett? She has t.v. commercials for stress management. I did get her book and look through it, read some of it. You may want to check it out on line. JMHO

Respected Contributor

We have a lot of physicians in our family, and sometimes they might say something around family that they would not say to a patient.

I've had panic attacks - they started when my former husband began having mini strokes. You never knew what to expect day after day. And I do have a generic for Xanax which I can take when needed. However, one of the MD's suggested that before I take anything, I put an icy cold cloth over the front of my neck (throat), hold it there, and go outside if the weather is cold. If not, open the freezer and stand there a few. Sometimes it works. Not every time, but enough that I always try it. No idea why it works.

I also have great difficulty with heights, which I understand goes along with the panic attacks. I have to drive over bridges often - a real issue around New Orleans. It may sound silly, but I was told to start singing before I get to the bridge - loud and long - and a silly song if I can think of one. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious works just fine. Apparently when your brain is distracted by something other than the height you're approaching, it helps. Honestly, it works for me. Maybe it's psychological, but if it works, who cares? I still white knuckle the steering wheel, but we make it across.

Just stay with your doctors and take those meds when you need them. I've been told by a few docs that many women develop problems with fear of heights, fear of close spaces, and panic attacks when they hit menopause. Also that anxiety and depression are good friends and often work together.

I don't know if any of this is true, but maybe . . . ..

Honored Contributor
Inositol, in capsule form. Google it. It doesn't work for everyone, but it does for me.