Honored Contributor

Re: Welcome to the March Exercise Thread

[ Edited ]

Good Morning fellow workout  friends!

It is going to be a showery blustery Sunday In March today

Today I am going to forgo my usual walk and spend some time with hubby and loyal dog. We are taking her to a great place here called SOGGY DOGGIE. It is a do it yourself place to wash your dog!  They have the tubs, the warm water, the towels and the air blowers, even supply the shampoo and conditioner all for just $20.00. You do it yourself, but, if you need any help they have the nicest people there to help you.   I go home with a clean dog and leave the mess and fur for them to clean up. A very fair trade off.  I use this business two times usually  in the winter months and wash Lola at home in the summer with the warm sun out.  It is kind of fun going there with all the other pet owners washing their dogs around you. Kind of a bonding experience!

@nomless thanks for sharing your experience with having both hips replaced. How are  those hips treating you 10 years later? I am so glad I did it as I had to use a crutch to walk even with my two new knees as the hips with so bad. I will let you know about the gait analysis if I go have it done. 

@Laura14 so sorry you have to suffer with back pain. Smiley Sad   I use to have constant back spasms and pain. Interestingly after replacing my knees and hips my back has gotten better. thank goodness. My upper back and neck give me anguish with compressed discs which I just try to live with the best I can day to day. That is all we can do when we have arthritis.  I am glad you got your Fit Bit! Enjoy! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Have fun at the doggy wash place.  Sounds like an adventure.  I washed my car and almost got eaten by a dog on my hike so I'm not feeling the puppy love this morning.  

Took my Fitbit out on her maiden run.  I woke up to the message "Faster Laura".  I just woke up!  BTW, thumbs up on the back and body powder.  Still woke up but five hour stretches of sleep in between so woo hoo!

So I walked 17,563 steps and climbed 53 floors.  LOL  That's obviously the steep grade of the mountain.  I got two badges for my steps and stairs so I'm a superstar out of the box.  They'll be taken away tomorrow when the work week starts and reality comes back.  I'm sure I'll get the "What Happened Laura?" message tomorrow night.

Hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend.  I saw some green and insects today so I think Spring is finally trying to break through.  Love the green.  Insects, boo.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14  love reading your posts! Sorry the dog almost made you breakfast....  I carry a herbal spay that is for halting dogs from attacking me on my walks with Lola. One day two HUGE dogs ran up to attack us( I assumed they were not coming up to give us kisses.....)  and I spayed them in the face and they ran off. I was so glad I had that spray with me. I bought in on Amazon. Just type in dog deterrent spay and there should be several  offered. Good thing to carry on you not only for dogs but other "bad" things out there as you just never know......

Respected Contributor

SeaMaiden, I'm the one with 2 fake hips, not Bopper.  Yes, thank goodness I did it, as I was starting to get back problems due to my awkward gait.  I wish I hadn't put it off 3 years longer than I should have.  Have fun at the wdog washing park today!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nomless wrote:

SeaMaiden, I'm the one with 2 fake hips, not Bopper.  Yes, thank goodness I did it, as I was starting to get back problems due to my awkward gait.  I wish I hadn't put it off 3 years longer than I should have.  Have fun at the wdog washing park today!

opps! fixed it!  Hey they are not fake... they are BIONIC!

Respected Contributor

Morning everyone,  I forgot to post yesterday, not very eventful but I did do a couple dog walks.  My  pet sitting is done now, they got home last night.  I'll miss the old boy!

Seamaiden We have a doggie bath place here too.  Although I have never been.  Logan hates a bath and we always have a groomer do him.  He's a handful!  He has a shot coming this week at the vets and they will trim his nails too, another thing he won't let me do.

The sun is out and this week they said 40's so I hope they are right!

Nice to see all the posts!

Laura you got lots of stepping on.  My fitbit doesn't speak to me...hmmm 

Oh huge news here, we saw a Robin yesterday!  Usually don't see them this early, I hope he will be alright amongst all this snow!

Have a great day everyone!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Thank you!  I will add that to my cart today.  I have always wondered what I could carry just in case.  Although the guy pulled aside to let me walk past since we were on a back hiking trail, the dog didn't say a thing or give any indication until I walked by and heard the growl and turned away from his lunge.  Thank goodness the owner was able to pull him back without him touching me.  He had his little girl there too.  Nice.

I lost my dog five years ago but while I had her, she bothered no one.  Not even a sniff.  It just irritates the life out of me when these people let their dogs violate your personal space.  You know your dog.  I don't.  And if you know your dog is a lunger and not great with strangers, then don't bring them to the park with lots of people including other dogs and kids.  Walk them in your neighborhood away from those us who don't need the scare until you can train them properly.  

It's so selfish.  As I was walking out, someone else let their dog come all the way across to sniff at my feet.  I had to walk off the pavement to get away from him.  Really people?  I can tell it's time to go the other end of the park and get away from the lake nonsense.  Too much rudeness on my end of the street.

Climbing down off of my soap box, I did my Ride class this morning.  I also managed to remember my Fitbit one so we'll see how I do at work now.  Loving the little thing so far.  

Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!   

Honored Contributor

Good  Monday  Morning!

It is a very rainy blustery morning today here. I am hoping it will let up here in the next hour or two so I can go for my walk. I do walk in the rain, just prefer not to. Lola has a rain jacket... not that she cares about the rain anyway!.

I did not exercise at all yesterday. We took Lola to the Soggy Doggy and bathed her. Came home  and just read the Sunday paper and did a few chores. Very lazy day. So I need to step it up today.

@Laura14  I know what you mean about people invading your space  when out  on a walk.  Lola is pretty mellow but  some people  let their dogs go  loose on their walks and their dog runs up to me and Lola. Lola gets all jumpy and I have a hard time holding on to her... it really ***** me off!  One day I got out the spray as the dog was running over to us.. thankgoodness the lady grabbed her dog.  It is herbal and would not hurt her dog, but, I am sure the lady would not like me spraying her dog in the eyes if it ran up to us.  Glad you love your fitbit!  It does become a part of you.

Hope everyone's week starts off well! 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden  We are a leash at all times park but people along the trail don't always follow.  Those dogs have walked right past me.  Funny the two dogs I've had an issue with had their owners attached.  To me, dogs are like kids.  If you aren't going to take the time to raise them right, don't have them or at least don't take them out and bother other people with your lack of parenting/training skills.  

I can tell from your posts and the others that you guys are all great and responsible owners.  It's a shame we have to weather the few that give all of us a bad name and get our pets uninvited from open spaces.

So I got a new yoga mat and I'm thinking of maybe trying out Centergy (combo pilates/yoga workout) again.  It may rain here on the weekend which means I might not be able to hike this weekend but we'll see.  My weather people didn't even graduate little league forecasting based on what I can tell lately so I'll believe the weather when I wake up this weekend.  

My back has pretty much taken me out of all my gym classes except ride so I'm thinking maybe a low impact stretch class may work some magic and keep me less bored.  We'll see.    

Honored Contributor

Happy Tuesday!  

I slept with no medicine (in my bed) and made it through the night with just one brief awake moment.  No major pain and no tossing and turning for an hour after spasms woke me up.  Woohoo!  Dare I think I may be on the mend?  

For those of you looking to try to Lo Bak, I would have to say, even though it doesn't feel like much after a night or two when you do it, I'd have to point to that to doing the most to help me.  To have such a  drastic turnaround in a problem that was ongoing for a couple weeks in such a short period of time, I'd recommend it.  I think I've had it about a week now and within a week to be pain free at night, thumbs up.  I got it from QVC with an as is price.  Nothing wrong with it as it's just basically steel handle bars.  If they still have it and you have back issues that it helps deal with, go for it.  It's worth a try.

I think the Backjoy complements what I've done but I think it's stretching out the spine and letting it heal that is, in my opinion, the major thing here.  Hope I'm not jinxing myself for tonight but after almost 3-4 weeks of this nonsense, I could cry.  I only wish it wasn't a work day so I could catch up on all the sleep I missed.   Still have the sciatic pain from time to time and my back is still sore.  Definitely still in coddle mode but to sleep is divine.  

Hope everyone is getting what they need accomplished and working out.  I hope the home is coming along and the car is back and better than ever.  Dogs are happy and your weather has warmed up.  Ours sure has.  I actually had to put the ac on at work.

Did my short ride class this morning and BodyGym.  Ow.  Fitbit got disappointed with only 8400 steps yesterday.  Smiley Sad  We'll see what today brings.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!  Smiley Very Happy