Valued Contributor

Re: Welcome to the March Exercise Thread

[ Edited ]

I'm having laptop issues again!  Took me forever to get on, kept saying something about my firefox....then the blue dot rolls and rolls and rolls.  Turned off and on again...same thing.  DH said he'll look at it tonight.

Congratulations bopper...and family!!  So exciting!  I've seen the golf balls before...and the hanging box with confetti almost like a pinata.  Fun times!  Nice to have a boy...not that it would matter. 

Rain all day, supposed to have 2 inches.  It was cold yesterday, we wore coats and gloves...colder than days we've had with lower temps...to the bone chill.  They said sun is coming on Sunday.

Yes, nomless, it is regular PIYO from BeachBody.  I really like it, but I'm not sure it would be for everyone because it moves very fast(one track she said squats are our break and they really were).  Some of the ladies modified at their own pace.  I don't find it that difficult but everyone is different...it isn't some killer work-out like a HIIT or ATTACK class, but you still get a good total-body work-out and can get your heart-rate up(not high but up) during a couple of tracks that really move if you do them properly...although, our gym is so hot, I'm sure that was some of it...lol!  I loved a Fusion track we did and the pistol squat ab-crunches.  My gf said she is going to send me her dvd's if she can't get into it...she said it moves too fast for her but she recently had back surgery.  It really is a good mix of pilates and yoga but the speed can give you some cardio.  It's a good cross-training tool for me and class goes by quickly.

MickD...dh thinks he may be getting that cold, they keep passing it around at work and he's been fortunate so far. I can't even tell you how much Ripka I have...ugh. Smiley Tongue

Mssfoxxie...what's on your agenda today, heading to the gym?  This is the slowed-down version for dh and I!  We used to work-out much harder, faster, longer, and more intense but between my injuries and this illness I've had to tone it down.  I'm not even supposed to get my heart-rate real high because of what this does to my blood-pressure(it's very low) and it can also bring on a flare.  Same with him, he broke his back parachuting plus his job has torn-up his body...they said special ops guys are like the NFL players and he's seeing it.  They asked if his heart rate was normal Tuesday at the hospital because it was so low(44)...yep.  

Dr.Kelli..now I think of you when I see the Zumba class or hear the music...lol. I know what you mean about the race-walking and getting burnt out, I did the same with running.  I ran for quite a few years and was obsessed with it, I had many weeks over 90 miles...then after my mom was killed and my fall where I broke my pelvis and tore my hamstring off my butt bone, I burned out and can't get it back even though I can't completely give it up. It's fast and effective.

I'm debating whether or not to go to Barre, I can't be driving there 5 days a week and don't need to with everything we have in the basement.  I may just do my pilates reformer and some weights on the Bosu then run on my treadmill. I'm sore all over anyway...do some of the same things like push-ups and lunges in every single class.

Honored Contributor

@bopper, I don't know how I missed your post Yesterday but, WOW!  A boy.....congratulations!  

We're having a much needed girl.  Four grandsons and one great grandson is enough for me.  On to the th frills and lace.  My daughter in law is only for months no she ready ordered a christening outfit that cost over $100!  Back in my day, we wouldn't dare buy anything so early and definitely not so expensive.  I keep reminding her that babies grow very fast and since she's 35 and having a difficult high risk pregnancy, she should stop buying so many things.  My son I not much better.

Enjoy this beautiful Friday everyone!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Again, congratulations to the new nana's @bopper and @Mmsfoxxie!  I was not able to have children, so no grands for me!

I practiced my new Zumba song yesterday before class and it did NOT go well.  It is more complicated than the others and has 9 different sections--I completely forgot one of them and then was off the rest of the song.  To be fair--I just started learning it on Saturday.  The instructor wanted me to do it and I told her no that I would do one of the others that I knew, but that I would have it ready next week.  So I have to practice all weekend.

I had a super good workout yesterday and according to my heart rate monitor, I burned almost 500 calories.  Today, I just have a half hour strength training session.  This weekend, I'll be shoveling snow for a workout. boo.

I hope you all have a great day and great weekend.

Respected Contributor

Happy Friday everyone,  thank you regarding my new grandson arriving, I have my 2 GD's so I loved doing the frilly lacy too and since I gave birth to 2 sons, my GD's were my time to shine!  Hahah  Love my boys though!!

Dr.Kelli they are talking about a big winter storm for late next week for us so this Rodeo isn't over yet either  Hahaha....but at least the sun is higher now and it will melt fast even if it isn't all that warm I know it will go.  I just don't want it to go from 40 to 80, I get way too hot!  You'll get that Zumba down this weekend and be ready to roll next week!  I'm proud of you for doing this!  It isn't easy!   I taught classes for 17 years back in the day and I'd have never thought I'd ever get up in front of people but I did and I was comfortable and everyone had a blast so that is a great memory for me!

Lucy glad your liking your PiYo, I have heard great things about it.  So nice to mix it all up and I know you do that all the time which is why you are in such great shape!  ( and YES you are)  Hahah

foxxie thank you, you will have so much fun dressing those girls!  I hope your DIL does alright with her pregnancy.  My DIL was 39 when she had her little girl and she did okay but she didn't have any issues to be concerned with other than her age of course.  My GD is 1 now and my other GD is 11 so how's that spread!  Yikes hey?  Hahaha

MickD are you hitting the trails, any snow there?   Our trail is still icy and where there isn't ice there is muck, big boots still needed.  

No plans for us this weekend, DH works tomorrow.  Supposed to be a little warmer than today.  We're sunny but that NE wind is coming right off the big lake so it's cold but I"ll take sun.  

Enjoy your day everyone!

Respected Contributor

Congratulations to Bopper and Foxxie.  Exciting! Happy for good news.

Thanks for the info about PIYO, Lucy. Reviewers have noted the dvd workouts go fast, too. Further, some are unhappy with insufficient verbal cues because in some of the poses it's impossible to watch the screen at the same time, and sheven moves onto a new pose or motion without telling you a change is coming.

Off to work....gotta get going or I'll be late.

Respected Contributor

I will say that I have NO problem being in front of people.  I was in drama in jr high and high school and competed on the speech team.  I've been a safety  trainer for 20 plus years.  Many years ago, I sang the Mickey Mouse Club theme in front of 3000 conference attendees.  We were in Anaheim and I was on the BOD for the organization and I thought it would be a fun way to end the conference.  But you're right--I'm gonna kill it next week.

Honored Contributor

Happy Saturday, everybody!  We're supposed to see some sun today!  Mid 50's they say.  Hard to feel too good about, though, because of the bad weather over east.  That's March for you.

@DrKelli, I meant to give condolences about your mom.  Sounds tragic.  My brother was killed in 2011 and we haven't gotten over it yet.  A death is bad enough but to be killed is even more tragic.

Zumba for me this morning and maybe a mile or two on the track.  Yesterday, I walked two miles and went to what I thought was going to be my regular cardio class....I was ready to sweat, lol.  Turned out that we had a sub.  Instead of doing a class to replicate what we were there for, she did what she teaches in her regular class which is what she calls smooth dancing.  I call it an extended warm up or cool down...boring.  Not knocking her because she's good at what she does.  It just wasn't what I wanted right then, lol.  My mind kept wondering to what I had to do later so I cut the class short.  I kind of felt I was rude leaving early....only because there were only about eight people there.  Maybe others got the memo, lol.

Anybody here know someone that's a Red Hatter?  Do they like it?

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Respected Contributor

Hi, all. Happy Sunday.

Yesterday I didn't do much except read, but I've been a busy bee today. I paid bills, did some stuff on the computer, laundry and changed my bed sheets from cozy fuzzy ones to pecale. Yay...I love the change in seasons. Every autumn I look forward to going back to the cozy fuzzy sheets, every spring I'm excited about going back to drops fresh pecale.

This afternoon I'll watch a curling match (part of men's World competitoon) and tonight the Cubs! What a great day.

I hope everyone is having a great day, too.