Honored Contributor

Vitamix - comparing the three basic models

[ Edited ]

____ 

I posted this information in a different forum but, since there is a Vitamix TSV on August 23rd, I thought I'd post it here as well. 

I'm the very proud owner of the Vitamix Pro 750, which is the top of the line Vitamix and retails for around $690 these days. I've had mine for close to two years and I use it every day. I went with the top model because I make green smoothies with lots of leafy green veggies every day, and green leafies are the single most difficult veggie for a Vitamix (or any other blender) to emulsify. -- The other Vitamixes do a fantastic job of emulsifying green leafies, but it takes them about 33% more time to get it done. (maybe 1 min. 20 sec., versus 45 seconds). -- What I mean by "emulsifying" is that there is no itty bitty green confetti leafy veggie bits in the smoothie that would make it undrinkable.

If you like veggie juices and can swing a Vitamix purchase, then I would really encourage you to just go for it. 

The thing about a Vitamix is that it's pretty much a one and done purchase. It could last you 10-38 years. I've heard several folks call into the QVC Vitamix shows saying that they're finally getting an new one and giving their 33, 35, or 38 year old Vitamix to a family member.

I watched dozens of the QVC Vitamix shows before I finally purchased one. I wanted to really understand all the ins and outs of the various Vitamix before I made my purchase. I wanted to get it right the first time because I expected to have this machine for a very long time.

This past month, I did a bit more info groundwork to help get a friend of mine a new Vitamix. Her 10 year old model just quit on her and it was out of warrantee. That's a short life span for a Vitamix, but she uses it 3-6 times a day and fills it with heavy duty veggies. The poor thing just got tuckered out. 

Even though the there is going to be a Vitamix TSV on saturday, that particular model may not be the best one for you to choose. QVC seemed to have a number of Vitamix TSVs through the the year. So you may just want to watch the upcoming Vitamix shows so that you can get a better handle on what a Vitamix can do (and it's pretty awesome!). 

Below I've put together all the information I gathered to help my friend choose the Vitamix that best filled her needs. -- bebe Smiley Happy

____

This Vitamix link will shows all the Vitamix models currently available to purchase at QVC. I edited my post later to add some great information links from the QVC Kitchen & Food shopping category:  

The Guide to Blenders & Juicers article helps you to understand whether a Blender or a Juicer will better fit your particular needs, while the Vitamix Comparison Guide article provides a great breakdown of different features on the various Vitamixes. There is also a Vitamix Frequently Asked Questions article. Since there are several basic types of Vitamixes, the information in comparing Vitamix product lines, as well as the VItamix product lines, helps to to clarify what these basic differences are. Take a look through https://www.vitamix.com/Engineered-To-Change-Your-Life to better understand what makes a Vitamix unique. Additionally, you can check out these recipes for your Vitamix.

____

Below is my quick VItamix primer. I put together before I found the Vitamix information which is available on the QVC website... 

Check out the Vitamix website and look at their blender listings. You'll notice that there are Classic blenders that are taller and another line that uses wider, shorter blenders which fit under counter tops (there's also the new small Vitamix for One line, but I'm still not sure how strong/effective that line is). -- Basically all of the variations on the Vitamix that you'll find at QVC, Costco, JL Hufford, etc. are just variations on these two simple lines of blenders. 

With a few exceptions, most of them are using the exact same motor that is featured on the Vitamix website for either the Classic or wider style of blender (per a Vitamix CS rep). -- The one exception I can think of is a low end QVC model ($400-450) which I think is usually a TSV in the summer (generally in August, when I believe there is a Vitamix TSV). I think it's called galaxy creations but I'm not positive.

At QVC, below are some of the variations in the various Vitamix options they have available: 

* 2-speed (low/high) model versus variable speed model -- the variable speed model will let you customize your Vitamix settings. 

* pulse option -- Turning the pulse option on and off allows you to chop up ingredients for say cole slaw in about 10-15 seconds. If a Vitamix doesn't have this option, in theory, you can turn the machine on and off to get the same effect but that isn't good for the motors on those machines... they weren't designed with that sort of wear and tear in mind. 

* preset speed options (for soup, smoothies, etc.) -- I think they're mainly just window dressing because you don't really need them. That said, if you're a busy cook, you can use one of the preset options and then go about other chores. The Vitamix will automatically turn itself off when it is finished. 

* Some QVC Vitamix packages include both a Wet Blender and Dry Blender. The dry blender is for grinding grains. The technology for each of these two blenders is qualitatively different. Your standard Vitamix comes with the Wet Blender. It costs around $100-144 to purchase a Dry Blender if you decide you want one at a later time. 

* QVC offers both 48oz blender options and 64oz blender options. A good friend of mine bought her Vitamix at QVC and, only much later, did she realize that she had purchased a 48oz blender (she had wanted the 64oz size). 

* The standard QVC Vitamix warrantee is for 5 years. If you purchase the machine at Vitamix they will give you a 7 year warrantee. -- I'm not positive about this (so be sure to check) but I think that other retailers generally also give a 7 year warrantee. You can purchase a warrantee extension at Vitamix. 

* Don't let the pretty shiny extras (that you may not really want or need) fool you. -- When they add the 16oz stainless steel thermos to the TSV package it pushes up the TSV MSRP (manufacturer suggested retain price). But it's really only a bargain if you wanted the thermos.

After checking out various vendors, my conclusion was that JL Hufford, QVC and Vitamix itself gave you the best prices (depending on what you were looking for): 

* Vitamix company -- For the lowest price on a Vitamix you can trust, check out their prices for their reconditioned units. I think there are some models in the $300-350 range. Shipping is occasionally free but you will pay sales tax. 

* QVC -- They have a lot of different models and a number of different TSV options throughout the year. So you have to take the time to understand the different options that they offer. There are are always features trade offs with the QVC models, but that can be a good thing. This way you are not paying for features you don't want or need. QVC has a number of great Vitamix TSVs.

* JL Hufford -- They are a brick and mortar store that has an online presence. They don't have all the bells and whistles of QVC but they offer some of the best prices. Almost two years ago, I was able to search out one of their discount options online (it takes a little searching) and purchased my Vitamix Pro 750 with both blenders for a total of $629 (no tax, and free shipping). 

Well that's about all I can think of. I hope this information helps. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Vitamix - comparing the three basic models

[ Edited ]

VITAMIX -- three basic design product lines

____

Classic Series  (C-Series) -- This was the original Vitamix series. It's taller, so it frequently doesn't fit under the kitchen counter.

-- 

C-Series Machine side view

____

New Generation Series (G-series) -- This line was created maybe three years ago. It was specifically designed so that it would fit under a standard kitchen cabinet. -- My top of the line Vitamix Pro 750 is in this series. 

-- 

Professional Series 750 side view

____

Personal Series (S-Series) -- I think of this as the Solo series (Vitamix of one person). I think this series was created so that Vitamix could better compete with the Ninja and NutraBullet personal blenders. -- The S-Series is not as powerful as the full size Vitamixes and I don't know how this affects it's ability to emulsify veggies. At the very least, I'm guessing that the blend time is longer. 

-- 

Vitamix S55 Personal Blender

____

____