Honored Contributor

QUESTION ON CATARACT SURGERY

My best friend is having a problem with her "slight" cataracts ....  everything is blurry and starting to affect her ability to read signs when driving.

At her last eye exam, the doc said "not yet".

Can someone please explain to me what determines when it's "time" to have cataracts removed?

I know it's a pretty safe surgery, but how bad do they have to be for the surgery?

Valued Contributor

Re: QUESTION ON CATARACT SURGERY

When to remove cataracts has changed over the years and there is even a discrepency among doctors.  Some perform the surgery when people haven't even noticed the change.  My dr. recommended monitoring as I haven't noticed any change yet.  My husbands dr. discouraged his removal.  Although he has noticed some change in vision (he has always had exceptional vision and this bothers him) the dr said the surgery in his case may even make his vision worse.  He is waiting.

Your friend may want to get a second opinion to put her mind at ease.

Frequent Contributor

Sometimes when they say "not yet" it's based on how well you did reading the chart and what the insurance companies feel is bad enough vision for the surgery to be covered. So if you can't make out whether it's an O or a G just say you can't make out that letter instead of guessing and maybe guessing the correct letter.
Honored Contributor

My DH is having cataracts removed this fall when we get home from vacation. His have been getting worse for a couple years and he now can hardly drive except on bright sunny days. His doctor said when they would be done was up to him and he would know when it was time. It was time last winter but , alas , he had a small stroke and the neuro doctor wanted him to wait because he was on major anticoagulant meds. Now he is just on plavix so he got the go ahead for this fall.

Super Contributor

I've been waiting for 5 or 6 years now for mine. Last 2 doctor visits, he increased my Rx. My next appointment was in August but about 6 -8 weeks ago my vision began to get REALLY blurry and it wasn't getting any better. I called and made an appointment, because I was afraid to wait. Driving was becoming very difficult.

They are ready!!! He told me a stronger Rx will no longer help me. My pre op visit was on Wednesday. I go in on Tuesday morning next week for the right eye. 4 weeks later I will get the left eye done.

So,,,, I guess what I'm saying is sometimes they get "ready" very quickly. Have your friend call her opthamologist ... hers may be ready too.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Regular Contributor

I am a nurse and this malarkey about waiting until you can hardly see is no longer relevant.  Any Dr. who makes his patient wait until their quality of life is severely compromised should retire.  There is no reason the wait unless other medical conditions exist that cause risk to the patient.  If your Dr. is dragging you along I have to wonder if he/she is up to date with their medical facts or making money on your visits.  Get a different Dr.!!

Esteemed Contributor

I know many people who waited a long time before getting the surgery. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

My best friend is having a problem with her "slight" cataracts ....  everything is blurry and starting to affect her ability to read signs when driving.

At her last eye exam, the doc said "not yet".

Can someone please explain to me what determines when it's "time" to have cataracts removed?

I know it's a pretty safe surgery, but how bad do they have to be for the surgery?

I don't know the specifics of the "when", but I do know it varies by doctors, at least in our city. Know a person that went to one eye doc and got the, "not there yet" answer. He felt from reading up on symptons, and talking with people that had the surgeries, he should qualify to have it done.

He went to my doctor, on my recommendation, and set up  a surgery date. He went with Mono-focal iol, and Medicare paid the full bill. He had his other eye done 7 weeks later, same iol put into that eye also.

I am very happy with my choice of a Multi-focal iol for my Left eye, and a Mono-focal for my Right eye. Cost me $1700 for the advanced iol, but never having to wear or buy glasses again, is over halfway covered already by not spending $$$ the last 7 years.

My suggestion, especially if your friends eyesight is effecting her ability to drive?  See another eye doctor and make sure she tells that doctor how badly this effecting her mentally when driving a motor vehicle.

hckynut(john)
Occasional Contributor

I had been wearing glasses since age 6. The last few years i had been told by my optometrist that I had cataracts but they were still correctiable with glasses. My glasses were very expensive as I was very nearsighted and also needed progressive lenses. This year I decided to get a second opinion from an optometrist who said cataract surgery was definitely possible although could wait if I wanted. Had surgery in March on both eyes two weeks apart. Best decision and now only need reading glasses. Definitely your friend should get a second opinion. It is so wonderful notnto have to wear heavy glasses anymore.
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your insights .... I guess the moral of the story is get a second opinion !!   Smiley LOL