Respected Contributor

Radiation for Breast Cancer (no chemo) and Side Effects You Have Experienced

Diagnosed in January.....lumpectomy in February....started radiation (left side) sometime at the end of March and ended May 5.  I started Arimidex in June.  I did not have chemo.

I am still experiencing  fatigue(but getting beter), and a little memory fog.

I'm not sure if my side effects of fatigue and memory fog are still from radiation or Arimidex.

I am also having so much trouble growing my nails on my left hand right hand is fine) and JUST this minute wondered if the radiation could have had  an effect on my nails.

If you are a non chemo patient what side effects did you have with radiation only?

TIA

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Radiation for Breast Cancer (no chemo) and Side Effects You Have Experienced

Lotus - I don't know the answer to your question---- but I do want to wish you the best! I really hope you are doing well! Hang in there. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Radiation for Breast Cancer (no chemo) and Side Effects You Have Experienced

Thanks golden.....I have a great prognosis!!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Respected Contributor

@Lotus wrote:

Diagnosed in January.....lumpectomy in February....started radiation (left side) sometime at the end of March and ended May 5.  I started Arimidex in June.  I did not have chemo.

I am still experiencing  fatigue(but getting beter), and a little memory fog.

I'm not sure if my side effects of fatigue and memory fog are still from radiation or Arimidex.

I am also having so much trouble growing my nails on my left hand right hand is fine) and JUST this minute wondered if the radiation could have had  an effect on my nails.

If you are a non chemo patient what side effects did you have with radiation only?

TIA

Congratulations in your battle with the beast. You have joined an elite and supportive sisterhood! 

I also had had a lumpectomy and radiation only. I completed 5 years of Tamoxifen this past March. The fatigue and brain fog will slowly go away. My nails that were always strong became brittle and weak. It was only after coming off the drug that they started to grow normally again. I don't know about the Arimidex, but if one hand is ok I would think the other would follow shortly. Again sending you all the best and the best thing you can do is be kind to yourself. The impact of what I had been through did not hit me until about a year later and then wiped me out for a while. Yoga, meditation and breathing are always helpful!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

Hi Lotus!  My radiation was complete Feb. 13, 2015. I take anastrozole everyday. I was very tired all during and for months after radiation was complete. My immune system was very depleted and as a result became very ill when I caught a virus. I was hospitalized for 7 days and my recovery took about 5 weeks. My radiated breast becomes  very itchy still after all this time. I do have side effects from the anastrozole. I Had terrible hot flashes,nausea then chills daily. I often have a very dry mouth and perspire more than usual. It is being controlled by another medication. I am also noticing hair loss everyday. I have very thick hair and when shampooing I always have a lot of hair in my hand. I do feel well. My nails have been growing better than ever and I think it's all the spinach and broccoli I eat.  Em

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Em.....I remember you going thru that awful virus....you went thru a very tough time.  Hope you're feeling much better!

I have the hot flashes too, but they are not as bad as the night sweats....my radiated breast is very itchy too.  I get headaches too that come and go quickly.  I not usually a headachey type person.   I have recently been experiencing the dry mouth as well, along with perspiring more.  The heat gets to me more too.  I was wondering what that could be from....guess it's the Arimidex.

I have my medical onc followup in early Sept.....I'm late with that because I keep forgeting to get my blood work done.

Honored Contributor

Having been hubby's caregiver, I know his nails took a beating too from radiation and chemo.  Takes a good while to get back to normal.  Tiredness and brain fog DOES get better and DOES go away but these too take a while.  He was thrilled mostly to rid himself of the brain fog.

BEST to you and to all who end up with the need for either/or, or both radiation/chemo.