Honored Contributor

A prescription for what?  And what did he say?  

Respected Contributor

@LuvsmyfamSorry you're in the midst of this misery.  If your doctor isn't a neurologist, make sure you see one and ask about the Epley Maneuver to resettle the crystals in your inner ear.  A neurologist can also check to see if the problem is something else that requires a different type of care. Wishing you the best!

Esteemed Contributor

@Liamsworld wrote:

Just seeing the word Vertigo makes me anxious. In 2015 out of nowhere I was taken over by vertigo/balance issues. I had to hold onto something like a cane or walk as close to the wall as I could for stability. My vision was affected as well. After numerous Neurological tests & Dr's it took me saying "When I park my car, I still feel like the ground is moving beneath me" for him to say oh, ok here's who you need to see.

He sent me to a Neuro Optometrist who diagnosed me w/ motion induced disequilibrium, convergence insufficiency & focal seizures. He also said my eyes are picking up the flickering of fluorescent lighting where normally they aren't. I was told I could no longer work on computers bc this would create these "seizures" over & over. When I say I was devastated, I mean devastated! I'd been at my job (HR Mgr for DirecTv) for over 25+ yrs and within 4 weeks of appts I was out.l

My glasses were given a blue tint for blocking issues and my peripheral vision was trying to take over. I was advised to apply for Disability which I did in Jan of 2015. I was approved in Aug 2015 & I'm still on it at 58yrs old. If you have access to Neuro Optometrists maybe look one up? They do way more testing for Vertigo & things of that nature and you may find out more. I'm on a anti-seizure medication & I've not had a flare up in 4 or 5yrs but the fear is still in me. Sorry I've rambled on as I said, I saw the word Vertigo and my anxiety paid me a visit.

🥅🏒

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

About 6-7 years ago out of nowhere I woke up with a terrible case of vertigo.  Getting up from bed the dizziness literally threw me onto my back onto the bed.  I was prescribed Meclizine which helped somewhat but it took a couple of weeks to get better.  Fast forward to this July when I felt the vertigo again, this time as I changed positions in bed or when I sat up from bed.  Also found that my balance issues had worsened.  Meclizine again.  Saw my primary care doctor who referred me to physical therapy.  I found one who specializes in vertigo. Diagnosed the problem in my left ear. Had three sessions and in each one we did three Epley maneuvers.  The first three were bad but it got progressively better.  Took a few weeks to stop.  However, my balance issues remain.  Just went to an ENT who sort of dismissed my symptoms as coming from my ears.  Said it could be dehydration, blood pressure, etc.  Have an appointment with a neurologist but not until January (so difficult to get appointments).  I totally symphathize with anyone suffering from vertigo or balance issues.

Super Contributor

sherrikay--- I can totally sympathize with you.  I have had vertigo

off and on for years.  The worst time is when I am lying down--even

with my eyes closed I  feel dizzy and when I open them the room feels like it is just spinning around and around,  Can't read or watch tv either.   

Usually when it starts it may last up to 2 to 3 weeks and then justs stops.

I have to do everything in slow motion.  

A couple of times it was caused from ear wax.  I always carry Bonine with me just in case.

I hope you get relief soon!! 

Respected Contributor

@Luvsmyfam @Carmie@hatetoiron

I have also been experiencing vertigo off and on for several years. It seems to be sinus related and maybe seasonal, like spring and fall.

This past bout started in the fall, when I got up in the early morning,  I crashed into the wall, on my way to the bathroom.

The first time it happened to me years ago, I was sitting at my desk at work and the room started spinning around.

The doctor told me to take Bonine and sometimes it helps. I have also tried the Epley Maneuvers recently. The maneuvers help my daughter and a friend who get this, and they told me about it.

The last time it lasted for two weeks.

It is unpleasant and I hope that you find relief and it does not return.

Valued Contributor

About a month ago, I had a severe sinus infection and took about 2 weeks to recover.  Once I finally felt better from the sinus trouble I noticed that I was so dizzy after sitting or lying down or just resting.  I was getting concerned about myself and it turns out I was dehydrated.  I thought I was drinking plenty of water but I guess from sleeping so much from the sinus infection  I was not hydrated.  I started drinking gatorade, water and my husband got me some Pedialyte and in about two days I was so much better. I thought I had vertigo as well but after hydrating I was fine.  Hopefully this will help others to try hydrating and try the Pedialyte which I thought was for children but my Dr. said to get some and with that and lots of water, I recovered.

Honored Contributor

Vertigo is nasty.

The Epley maneuver did not work for me.  But drinking more fluids, including Pediolyte, Gatorade Zero, water, etc. seemed to help me.  But I still had occasional small bouts of it.  Doctor said I was low on D3, so added 2,000 IU at my doctor's suggestion.  Was also checked for low thyroid and yes I was, so added another pill.... and have not had a problem for three years.  If I do, it's very slight and I'm sure I'm not as hydrated as I think I am, so I up the fluids and I'm doing good again.  There's so much that can make us feel this way.  The trick is to have a doctor willing to go the extra mile to find out what's happening and to help us fix it.

Sincere good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I had a bout a while back and it turned out that an OTC sinus decongestant got rid of it. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I was helped by family members, with a You Tube of Dr. Carol Foster.  Her way helped me. The inner ear crystals are my problem, and cause dizzyness for me and can be sicker than a dog for 48 hours and I mean sick!!! Worse than the flu for me.  The dizzyness was horrid.  Epley did nothing for me.  Check with your doctor, I'm just relaying my experiences with my dizzyness.  Dr. Foster's remedy has helped me.