Honored Contributor

Clarks is recalling EIGHT different shoe models in navy blue.

[ Edited ]

Clarks is recalling EIGHT different shoe models in navy blue. They were sold at many retailers. Articles online mention Amazon, Macy's and other retailers. The photo that is shown on the CPSC website is only of the sneaker, but there are other styles. The sneaker in the photo is not sold in the Americas according to the CBS article. Five styles are sold in the Americas. There are styles still available in the Breeze line that are for sale on Amazon now. You will have to get the exact model numbers from Clarks to be sure of the shoes included. Quoting from CBS News dot com "The recalled shoes include the Breeze style in the Americas and the Brinkley style elsewhere, in all navy or dark navy-blue colored and introduced for the spring/summer 2022 season, Clarks stated." 

CLARKS SITE RECALL GO HERE FOR INFORMATION https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2023/Clarks-Americas-Recalls-Womens-Navy-Blue-Canvas-Shoes-Due-to-Chemi...

Quoted article title and credits: "Clarks recalls shoes also sold by Amazon, QVC and other retailers over toxic chemical" 

Honored Contributor

Re: Clarks is recalling EIGHT different shoe models in navy blue.

It seems they would have known they were using toxic chemicals that haven't been used in dyes in the US since the 1970s. I don't get this.

I wonder how it was first discovered or reported and by who. Very disturbing. It shouldn't be happening.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Mindy D , thanks for posting.  I don't own any of these but I have several pairs of Clark's shoes.  One is my go to daily.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

It seems they would have known they were using toxic chemicals that haven't been used in dyes in the US since the 1970s. I don't get this.

I wonder how it was first discovered or reported and by who. Very disturbing. It shouldn't be happening.

@on the bay @Lilysmom1 @QVC is CURRENTLY selling the Breeze style in a navy floral and some solids. It's probably not the one affected by this recall, but so far, I can't be certain. It's 547125 Daisy. It looks the same, but hopefully it is not made from the same fabric and dye. It is being sold As Is. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay @Clark's website has a press release on it that explains how the company first discovered the problem. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D,

I did not see anything on their website nor press releases, just from other websites announcing recall.

I see where they decided to test to see if toxic but I couldn't find where they decided why they needed to do that.

My feeling is still thinking that those who made the shoes must have known the chemicals they were using and did know or should have known that they were toxic and not even used for years.

As always, thanks for keeping us all up on these recalls.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay @I've usually agreed with you on almost everything you have written here, and I mean no disrespect, but I don't agree that they knew in advance. Clarks is refunding the purchase price for all the shoes to the customers. As to why they decided to test the shoes, I'm making an assumption that they routinely test some products. Maybe not. There could be more to the story.  I have found the Press Release. Clarks recently had a Chinese company acquire 51% ownership. I saw a different press release about this while looking for the shoe press release. In the press release it says:

"This safety recall is taking place because testing of some samples of these shoes identified excess levels of the chemicals benzidine or dimethoxybenzidine, that are found in Azo Dyes and are restricted in some jurisdictions. Prolonged and direct contact with the shoes’ upper material can expose the wearer to these chemicals, which are toxic and can cause adverse health effects."

"Clarks has notified all relevant regulatory authorities as appropriate and is launching a full global recall of the impacted styles. No other colours of the listed styles or any other Clarks products are affected by this issue or included in the recall."

Here is the press release. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiF_46_upr7AhWhmGoFHfD4B_oQ...

Esteemed Contributor

Good thing Clarks isn't on my list of shoes that I purchase.  I wonder if later other companies that use blue/navy colorways for canvass-like shoes will have the same problem.  Just wondering how different the processing could possibly be....

It's always something, and now it's clothing too.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset @The problem is with one particular ASO dye containing a chemical banned here in the 70's and in many other countries around the world. Other companies could run into problems too. Many smaller companies don't even test their fabrics and dyes. 

Trusted Contributor

I purchased a pair and they're included in the recall.  I have not worn mine yet - still brand new in the box.

I started the process to receive a refund and I did not like what I saw so far.  It said they will send me a bag to return the shoes to them.  Upon receipt of the shoes, they will then contact me for my banking information to credit the item to my bank account.  If that is the only method they offer to receive a refund, I guess I just consider the purchase price of the shoes (about $50) a loss as I never give my banking information to anyone except to my employer for direct deposit of my pay.