Respected Contributor

Had my 1st vertigo attack at age 20....that's been 35yrs now.  And have suffered with it many attacks over the yrs.  Truly if it's the violent kind I get I have no solution for you.  I have severe vomiting and it goes on for days...and then takes me several weeks to finally begin to feel more balanced.  

I have done everything mentioned in this thread....my drug of choice is promenthazine (ENT started me on it) for some reason it works the best for me.  I can and do sometimes use OTC drug for motion sickness and that does help just not as good as the prescription.

As for the Epley maneuver....that never worked for me.  I have had every awful test that the ENT does and finally thought WHY do I keep doing these tests? they just make me want to barf!  Last set of tests my left ear didn't cause the ceiling to whirl at hyper speed like my right ear does.  I was told that I had 30% destruction now in that ear effecting my balance function.  Other then that test the others were normal.  No Meniere's disease as was suspected or MS (had MRI yrs ago) so he really couldn't say it was one thing.  Just idiopathic vertigo attacks....in other words could be a virus could be ?????who knows for sure.  Sometimes the upside down chair test could be positive other times negative...so is it crystals in the ear?? maybe or maybe not.

Vertigo attacks are truly horrible...others won't understand just how awful...unless they have one. 

See a ENT for evaluation....medications and other diseases can cause it.  

Honored Contributor
I have had similar issue and it can be from BP meds. Before I get out of bed, I just sit for a minute before getting up. Then I’m fine. I also can’t move my head too quickly from side to side or bend over then stand up too quickly. All BP related so have just had to learn to manage it.
Esteemed Contributor

This first happened to me about 12 years ago and I spent 7 days in the hospital. I was given Valium and it helped.

Get it every  now and then but nothing like before.

I have had two Cervical Spine Fusions and was told that for some reason they found that  surgery on the neck could sometimes cause Vertigo. Don´t know, but I don´t like it.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your comments. My doctor sent me an antibiotic incase it is an ear infection. In the meantime I got an appointment June 27!!! I wish I could get in sooner, I am afraid to drive too far. It has been bad the past few days. Praying it goes away as fast as it started 2 weeks ago. 

Respected Contributor

one of my friends gets this and sometimes it is from her nasal congestion from allergies. another friend found out it was the diabetic meds she takes that was the cause!

Trusted Contributor

Just a quick update. My nurse practitioner told me to take Zyrtec. I bought some but I just thought it was a waste of money. Honestly it helped me immediately! I am still going to my ENT appointment in June but this did help tremendously.