Esteemed Contributor

Ugh! My doctor wants me to get a Covid test

I went in for a gynecology check up.  Pap smear, mammogram, blood test, and blood pressure were good.  Today they did an ultrasound and she said I have a polyp that should be removed.  I asked if she could do it before school starts, and she assured me she could, so we discussed a couple of dates.  I was okay with everything, but as I was getting ready to leave, she said I would need to come in 5 days beforehand and get a Covid test.  Then quarantine the next 5 days until I get the procedure done.  This is their policy--no procedures unless a negative Covid test on file.

I am not looking forward to the nasal swab!  Have any of you been tested?  Was it painful?   

Part of me wants to put this off, but my husband says this will probably be the policy for a while, so may as well go through with it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh! My doctor wants me to get a Covid test

I agree with your husband. Good luck with the test. 

Honored Contributor

It's uncomfortable but not the end of the world.

I was hospitalized for a few days last December and they were asking everyone if they had had a flu shot. I had but they were doing the nasal swab anyway to be sure. It only lasted a few seconds.

This is the future of medicine and I for one am glad.

Contributor

You said you had a Pap smear, mammogram and blood work....a Qtip up your nose will be a piece of cake!!  Relax.  xo

Valued Contributor

Yes it's the policy before having any invasive medical procedure. The swab test was easy for me. Guess it depends who does it. The swab is quite long but it's so fast I barely felt anything. (Tip - clean out your nose first so they can get an accurate test). 

Respected Contributor

My husband works in health care facility, and gets tested weekly.  He reports that it uncomfortable, but not painful.  You can feel the swab way up into your head, and it feels weird, but that is all.  Don't give it another thought; I've not heard anyone say it is painful.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

I recently had to get a medical test at the hospital.  Before I could, Covid test was required too.  I went to the drive thru....very nice gal was there....she explained what to do...tilt head back and said there will be a little discomfort as she has to turn the swab around in nose and keep it there for ten seconds.  It went quick.  I felt just a little discomfort....not bad at all....in and out! 

Respected Contributor

My brother in law recently had his gallbladder removed and he also had to do a Covid test 5 days before surgery and then quarantine until surgery.  My sister decided to get the Covid test too and she told me the test was a little uncomfortable but did not last long and it did not hurt. 

Honored Contributor

I've never had the test & have no intentions of taking the nasal swab test as long as I am asymtomatic.

Everybody that I know who has taken it says........

Very uncomfortable>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Painful

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

Why couldn't you do the saliva test?