Valued Contributor

Re: Ugh! My doctor wants me to get a Covid test

Trust me the gyno or the dentist is much more annoying than this test.  It's quick and then it's over.  I had one a few months ago before I had a procedure.  A "one" on a scale of 1-10.

Trusted Contributor

I had it done and it's nothing. What they put up your nose is very thin  and it takes 2 seconds.  I don't know what all the fuss is about.  Don't fret.  Good luck with your surgery.  I guarantee it's going to be more uncomfortable than the COVID test.  

Respected Contributor

I had the nasal swab tests done before my two most recent hip replacements.

It's a bit uncomfortable, but it's very brief.

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry no way are they giving me that test or are they going to force a vaccine on me.  

Respected Contributor

@wildcat fanLook at it this way. Thousands and Thousnds of people get a covid test every day throughout the country.  You won't be the first.  It is what it is.  a swab up the nasal passage,  swizzled around  to pick up a sample of what's in there and Done. 

The hospital only has a finite number of surgical suites and equipment and personel that can do surgery.  They are being as safe as they can be to protect You, who will be hooked up that equipment  and the people who are doing the proceedure. 

You're going to have an operation to ensure your health. A swab up the nose is no big deal. 

Yes I have had it. It was a bit iritatiing as the swab went up higher in the nasal passage but No Way would I say I was in Pain. Not at all.

Honored Contributor

I'd rather have it done in my doctors office, I'd like to think they are very experienced.

I had a flu test a couple of years ago, the swab is shorter but the medical assistant knew exactly what she was doing, she had good aim and in & out hardly before I could react.

I would never volunteer to take it, unless there was a medical reason.

Since I'm retired, I don't have to be concerned with employer requirements.

I don't know if this would help or not, but there are many videos on YouTube.

Sometimes when I can visualize, the actual doesn't seem so bad.

Are you 100% confident in your diagnosis & treatment?   If so, I agree with your husband, go ahead & get it done now.

@wildcat fan wrote:

I went in for a gynecology check up.  Pap smear, mammogram, blood test, and blood pressure were good.  Today they did an ultrasound and she said I have a polyp that should be removed.  I asked if she could do it before school starts, and she assured me she could, so we discussed a couple of dates.  I was okay with everything, but as I was getting ready to leave, she said I would need to come in 5 days beforehand and get a Covid test.  Then quarantine the next 5 days until I get the procedure done.  This is their policy--no procedures unless a negative Covid test on file.

I am not looking forward to the nasal swab!  Have any of you been tested?  Was it painful?   

Part of me wants to put this off, but my husband says this will probably be the policy for a while, so may as well go through with it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DIL who is and RN had her second colonoscopy last Thurs.  She is only 39 but since her mother had colon cancer she is doing them every five years.  Tues. the week before the procedure they made her do the test. She was fine with doing it since she is a nurse but the man who went before her made a squeal so she became frightened.  She said is definitely something never experienced before and hope never to do again.  But it is good to know the results. They said they would only call her back if she had covid.  No call came and the colonoscopy went as planned, all's well.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

Sorry no way are they giving me that test or are they going to force a vaccine on me.  

@BalletBabe, that is your choice but then you won't be able to have procedures done if need be.  I don't know of any facility that is allowing any medical procedures to be done without a Covid test.  Even women giving birth have to have one done prior.  

@wildcat fan, I'm guessing how uncomfortable or painful this test is depends on your pain tolerance and who does the test.  I know people who have gotten the nasal swab at a drive up facility and they barely swabbed into the nose.  I know others who got it done and said it was painful, some said mildly uncomfortable.  

Respected Contributor

as a part of my preop testing for the knee surgery I had on 6/26 I  had to have a covid 19 test and it was horrible !!! I swear the nurse was trying to touch my brain with the swab ! It hurt, it hurt, it hurt !!  That was just my experience, glad it was negative.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan I had a Covid-19 nasal swab test on June 14 because I was having cataract surgery on June 17. At the time it had to be no more than three days before surgery for the test, they have since changed it to five days because people weren’t getting their test results back in time. I’m not going to lie, it is uncomfortable, but it’s over quickly. I have a deviated septum in my right nostril, the doctor tried to do the test ( I didn’t think I needed to tell him), he then had to try again in the left nostril. You’ get through it, good luck.