Super Contributor

Re: Ugh! My doctor wants me to get a Covid test

@wildcat fan I have had two with symptoms and both came back undetected- they were both nasal swabs done differently- the ER doctor told me when I was there with the COVID symptoms that the nasal test is only 65-70% accurate and he has seen a lot of people with symptoms test negative- the saliva test is supposed to be more accurate- you will do fine its not the worst test out there- good luck

Valued Contributor

@sann wrote:

Why couldn't you do the saliva test?

I have also heard the saliva test is more accurate than nasal swab test

Frequent Contributor

I haven't taken it, but my husband has. He said it was uncomfortable, they swabbed both nostrils, and the sensation of a swab up his nose lasted a little while.

He's an offshore oilfield worker, and the oil companies are following that same get tested then 5 days quarantine protocol. They have reserved whole hotels for the guys that will be going out to work on the various rigs. My husband had to check in on Sunday, got tested Monday, and will probably go offshore on Saturday. He'll probably be several shades of crazy by the time he gets to leave the hotel.

Respected Contributor

Nasal / throat testing is the gold standard for COVID19 testing. Saliva not as accurate.

Trusted Contributor

My 7 yr. old granddaughter had surgery last week.  She had to get the Covid test and quarrantine beforehand as well.  If she could handle the swab test, you can, too!

Hope you have a speedy recovery from surgery!

~LdyBugz

Esteemed Contributor

@LdyBugz wrote:

My 7 yr. old granddaughter had surgery last week.  She had to get the Covid test and quarrantine beforehand as well.  If she could handle the swab test, you can, too!

Hope you have a speedy recovery from surgery!

~LdyBugz

Thanks @LdyBugz. I wish your granddaughter a speedy recovery as well.  😊

Esteemed Contributor

@BlackMagic wrote:

I haven't taken it, but my husband has. He said it was uncomfortable, they swabbed both nostrils, and the sensation of a swab up his nose lasted a little while.

He's an offshore oilfield worker, and the oil companies are following that same get tested then 5 days quarantine protocol. They have reserved whole hotels for the guys that will be going out to work on the various rigs. My husband had to check in on Sunday, got tested Monday, and will probably go offshore on Saturday. He'll probably be several shades of crazy by the time he gets to leave the hotel.

Thanks for sharing that @BlackMagic. I didn't realize they might do both nostrils.  Yikes.  I think working on an offshore oil field would be an exciting career.  I am so glad to hear they are taking such precautions to keep him and the others safe.

Esteemed Contributor

@debfau wrote:

@sann wrote:

Why couldn't you do the saliva test?

I have also heard the saliva test is more accurate than nasal swab test

I'm supposed to get a call later this week to finalize the date of my procedure, so I'll ask for their thoughts about saliva vs. nasal swab.  When I spoke to the doctor today, she never even mentioned saliva test, so I don't know if it's an option.

Esteemed Contributor

@petitelady7 wrote:

You said you had a Pap smear, mammogram and blood work....a Qtip up your nose will be a piece of cake!!  Relax.  xo

Thanks @petitelady7. I needed to hear that.  I know I sound like a big baby. 🤣

Esteemed Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

My husband works in health care facility, and gets tested weekly.  He reports that it uncomfortable, but not painful.  You can feel the swab way up into your head, and it feels weird, but that is all.  Don't give it another thought; I've not heard anyone say it is painful.

Thanks for sharing that @Peaches McPhee, and I appreciate your husband's work at a health care facility. ❤️