Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

Like many people, I can loose the weight, it's keeping the weight off that does me in.

I can't even add up all of the weight I've lost over the years.  However, as soon as I really start loosing the weight, I change my eating habits just a bit and it starts piling back on.

But unlike some people, it goes right back up to what I used to weight.  Some people add on even more weight, not me, it goes right back to where it was.  

I've read that's the most dangerous for a person, yo-yo.  AND it goes on right in the belly/middle, every freaking time.

Anyway, at my age, 73 this year.  I would/will be happy if I could loose just a few pounds.  I've started walking on my treadmill.

I have an amazing treadmill at home.  But here's the catch.  No one has been on it since the day my husband died.  He'd just been running on the thing.  He'd stopped it and gone into our office when he dropped dead.

It's going to be a real, 'head trip' getting on it for the first time but I'll have to pull up my 'big girl panties' and get on the !@#$% thing and start walking.....

I think I can.....I think I can....I know I can....I know I can.Smiley Happy

@Annabellethecat66 

Oh, my.  I am so sorry about your husband!  And I can't even imagine how hard it must be about the tread mill and all the sadness that is associated with it!  I hope if you feel you really want to use it, that you can try and maybe once you do, it will be o.k. after you have started it.  But if you feel you just can't, maybe it would be better to just have it taken away, and get a different kind of equipment to work out on?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

@AngelPuppy1  I lost 50 pounds in 11 months. Roughly a pound a week. I counted calories and had protein at every meal. I didn't give up carbs because due to high cholesterol I have to watch my fat intake. I had no more than 2 fruits a day and cut way back on starches. Breakfast was  around 300 calories, lunch and dinner no more than 400 calories, and afternoon snack usually Greek yougurt or fruit. No ice cream, cookies, or cake. I stayed around 1300 calories a day. Weighed only once a week. I plateau several times but kept going. I agree with everyone else you need to eat 3 meals a day. There's an app called Itrackbites that follows Weight Watchers plans. It's free or you can buy the pro plan for an additional $36.00. Good luck!

@texassunflower 

Wow -- awesome - congrats!  Is WW how you lost your weight?  I don't know exactly what I am going to do right now.  I hate to get on a regimented plan where I have to eat exactly this or that because DH and I go different places and I don't want to have to say --- no, I can't go here, I can't go there, I can't have any of that, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I want to lose the weight, but I want to be able to live and enjoy things with him, too.  Thanks so much! 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

If you are exercising you could be replacing fat with muscle. The tape measure is often a better indicator, than the scale.

@cherry 

Thank you - I appreciate you info!

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

Yes.  WHY is important. But, it's the WHY am I eating when I'm not hungry.

That's the basis of the diet (way of eating) I was alluding to.  Eat when you're (physically) hungry, stop when you're (physically) satisfied.  No foods are off-limits or required. No counting calories.  You'll tend, naturally, to gravitate toward a majority of foods that make you feel good after awhile (generally, several meals in a row of cake and ice cream will make most people feel ill).

When you're tempted to eat when you're not physically hungry, stop and examine what's going on.

This is just the bare bones of the diet. It's, basically, intuitive eating. Nothing new, but, it works for those who, regularly, overeat or binge. Everyone overeats once in awhile or out of boredom, depression, loneliness, celebration, etc.  Not a big deal. Go back to your hungry/satisfied eating starting with the next time you're hungry and don't look back.

Obviously, if you have to restrict certain foods due to a medical condition, you honor/adhere to that restriction.  

JMO

@ILTH 

Yes, I agree.  I have eaten quite often when I am not hungry lately and I know why that happens, too.  It's two-fold - I enjoy the foods I am eating --- candy, cookies, cake, etc.-- and also it's psychological --- anxiety, stress, etc.  I have the realization of all of this, but controlling it is at times difficult. If we could all control these emotions, we'd all be much better off.  You're very kind and helpful.  Thank you!  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 , hi!  I don't love vegetables, either.  I've found that I do enjoy a 40 oz smoothie made from frozen veg and a bit of fruit and milk, and fresh mint if I've got it*.  I have a big salad at night, with a hefty base of romaine and in-season things (with feta and hard boiled egg).

That's how I get my veggies.  I hate them cooked.  Gag.

* the Ninja Storm is the only blender I've found that'll power through any amount of frozen produce.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

AngelPuppy: Get rid of the treadmill. FInd another piece of exercise equipment.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

How sweet of you to take the time to response to every person who has the best intentions to help you with this weight issue.

As I was listening to some You Tube videos yesterday, I thought of you and your receptivity to make this challenge work for you.  A couple of videos came to mind as well as a comment you made.  "I love potatoes"....yea! that's a good thing.  Potatoes can easily be a part of your weight loss plan.  Also, there is a video by Doug Lisle that might surprise you on why we are unable to lose the weight and what to do about it....How to Lose Weight Without Going Crazy. He will discuss the real reason why you continue to eat when you are not hungry.  Some of his facts might surprise you.  

You mentioned your husband and not wanting to go different directions.  Is he willing to support you and maybe get some ideas with you throughout this process.  If so, The Krocks in the Kitchen might be fun to watch together.  They tried everything to lose weight (they even made a video about all the things they tried).  More importantly, they show you what they have been doing that has finally worked and is their lifestyle now as a result.  They show you an example of what they do eat daily and it does not involve restriction.  He started at over 500 pounds and she was over 200 pounds.  Their videos are fun and informative.  What they are doing has worked and they are not hungry, but much healthier. (Their Smokey Humus recipe is a staple in my home - yummy and oil free!)  Another couple who has made healthy weight an integral part of their journey is High Carb Hannah.  She and her husband live in a tiny house and she shows you the recipes and lifestyle changes they made on her path to weight loss.  I really enjoy her recipes and check out her Corn Chowder soup.....so good!  They also show you how they eat if going to a restaurant. This loving supportive couple might give you and your husband some positive direction.  All the best in this weight loss journey, hoping you let us know where you go with it and your success!

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Try something you’ve never done before!

1.  Focus on calorie density, eating 100-600 calories/lb foods.

2.  Track 30-50 grams of fiber/day

3.  Track up to 25 grams of fat/day

Fact: Humans Eat 3-5 pounds of food a day.

The lower the calorie density, the more food you can have,

the more fiber you’re getting and the less fat you need.

Try it!

9860A356-5979-4D08-96AE-2B1E80B17AC5.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Good Morning!

The one thing that stands out to me is, more vegetables, more fiber.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Thank you.  I do have a struggle with vegetables.

I really love potatoes

@AngelPuppy1 

Potatoes are a weight-loss dream!

Satiating, low in calories, tons of fiber, comfort food!

The book, The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall

will show you exactly how to eat potatoes,

the food you love💛, in a healthy way while

losing weight.  It’s so easy!

Honored Contributor

Cut to the chase @sidsmom ....go girl!  

I think Chef AJs calorie density charts really help with this concept which is new to some people struggling with weight loss.  The idea that you must eat in order to be healthy...just need guidance on what to eat.