Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

@software wrote:

Good luck!

I agree with @Tallgal   You are not eating enough

You do need snacks, not so much just for the nutrition but to not allow your metabolism spike up & down.    

The science of dieting is not as simple as calories in, calories out.   They have to be quality calories that you BURN, not store.   And by burning I don't mean do a triathlon.

Do some research on geriatric diet tips.

Your needs are different now.

You need more protein than you think and plenty of water.

Then more water.

@software 

Thanks!  I think I have not been getting enough water or protein now that you are stating this.  I will try to up these things.  Thank you for your tips!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't want to go on any set plan or special diet, but what I want to ask of you all here is what tips and things work for you when trying to lose some weight?

——————-

I have lost a bit of weight but seem to be stuck and some days go up a bit.  Do you have any advice or tips for me before I get discouraged and quit??

I agree with @phoenixbrd .... deprivation is not a happy way to live.

My initial recommendation....recognize & remember your WHY.

And not ‘to lose weight’.  

Keep drilling down.

Why do you want to lose weight? ‘To look good in jeans’

But why do you want to look good in jeans?

Etc, etc, etc.

I remembering someone saying discovering your ‘WHY’, could be

questioning yourself up to 10 questions deep. It’s just between 

you & you...so you can get really honest.  At the end, the WHY could

something like “I saw my father suffer from cancer, and I’ll do anything

to prevent that’...something so far away from ‘look good in jeans’.

Does that make sense?

At the end, your WHY has to be strong enough for you to never waiver...

to never give up your WHY.  If it’s for health reasons, like many have,

the WHY should be as committing as, say, a marriage. One wouldn't

cheat on their marriage, so why would I cheat on my nutrition which

could cause me to possibly die? Look at all the successful weightloss

stories.  Their WHY is almost always at the forefront of everything 

they do. Anyone with a passionate mission in life has their WHY.

——————

After the WHY is known, the logistics set in.

Calorie Density, High Fiber, Whole Foods

Translation = low fat, lots of vegetables, beans, starches, fruit

TONS of food for little calories/fat.

I see all the diets you’ve tried, but Low Fat, Whole Foods,

Plant Based wasn’t one of them. I highly suggest ‘The Starch Solution’!

Everything’s online, free, so you could begin immediately.

Here’s a Success Stories thread...lots of inspiration!

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Plant-Based-Success-Stories/m-p/4813814#M140339

@sidsmom 

Thanks so much for your very informative post.  Yes, I agree it is important to realize "why" you want to lose and "why" you need to lose.  I definitely know my "whys" and this has given my great impetus to accomplish this.  I just am stumbling somewhat as to "how" to accomplish this.  As most of us know, "dieting" as young people and "dieting" as seniors - a whole different world.  This, I guess, is what I am struggling with.  You have given me a lot to digest and I appreciate it!!! 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 You are setting yourself up for failure not eating regularly to keep your energy up and your body with fuel.

If you can, go see your doctor and get him to refer you to a nutritionist, who will be able to help you get started.  That person can also recommend some good, sensible NON FAD eating plans and help you tailor it to your needs and likes during a few visits and recommend something that should work for you.

You can read books and jump from fad eating plan to fad eating plan, and not find anything that will make you healthier--which is the goal after all isn't it?

Please if you are able through your insurance plan or doctor or your local hospital (they usually have free classes), retires associations or library or other groups, find a good source of information and maybe even a good support group.

It will pay off in the long run!  Good luck to you and best wishes!

@Sooner 

Thank you for your advice and I appreciate it.  It is very good advice.  If it is not something that is paid for by insurance, then I am sure it would be very expensive and I doubt I could afford it.  My doctor has always told me that I am at a good weight and do not need to lose weight.  However, this is not where I was 8 months ago and I am not happy where I am now.  Clothes are not fitting, and was eating in a very unhealthy way which I was aware of.  

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Dislike the word allow  and diet. Why do you feel you need to lose weight? 

@Group 5 minus 1 

I don't like the word "diet" either!  LOL.  I feel I need to lose weight because I gained weight once I retired.  It happened because I began eating anything and everything I wanted -- boom --- weight on!  Clothes not fitting. Biggest reason - most people in my family have weight issues which caused severe health issues.  I do not want this to be an issue with me!  Diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.  I have not had any energy and like myself.  Also, self-confidence --- I currently have not much because I know I do not look good or feel good.  I think these are all good reaasons to feel like I want to lose weight.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

What works for me is activity.  I must exercise every day or I just feel sluggish and bad.  I only allow myself to be weighed at my Dr.'s visits.  Sometimes that can be only for my six month check ups or sooner if I become ill.  Went in last Friday after only a couple of months for a sinus infection and weighed exactly the same.  Healthy foods daily with goals for indulgence for holidays or family celebrations of some sort to look forward to helps me.  Activity, healthy eating, and something to shoot for without guilt.

@beckyb1012 

Very good plan!  I thank you for your post! 

Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I don't think diet is a dirty word.  It's a time in life when you're being more regimented with what you eat so as to drop weight. Then you go into maintenance mode.  Personally I found cutting back on snacking was very helpful.  I used to be a snack maniac.  Now I just have one snack a day around 5:30pm.  I also think eating breakfast even if you don't really feel like it is a good policy. Gets your metabolism going for the day. Anway good luck to you and I hope you achieve your goals!  Just commiting to it is an accomplishment.

@Grouchomarx 

Thank you!  I don't know --- When you say "diet", a lot of people automatically get their haunches up.  This word can mean different things to different people, I guess.  When I say it, I basically mean that I am being "mindful" of what I am putting into my body.  I am keeping track of the food I am consuming -- instead of just mindlessly eating whatever I feel like and however much I feel like.  As for snacks, same here.  I got to be a big snacker, whereas before I retired, I never was.  Also, candy, I got into this bag candy thing.  Candy, candy, candy.  I knew this was no good but kept at it nevertheless.  I truly appreciate your kind wishes and I appreciate your post!!!!

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@AngelPuppy1    has to be something you can stick with.  Remember losing weight is more about what you eat( or don't eat) and not about how much exercise you do.  Much easier to not eat 1000 calories than to try to burn them. 

@SeaMaiden 

So true!  When I was young I would just exercise like a demon and then if I wanted to eat this or that --- no problem.  Being older- no.  I have health issues and can't do a lot of exercising.  Burning off calories is much more challenging.  This, I am finding out!  Thank you!  

Honored Contributor

@ILTH wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 

You need to throw all the rules out and read Geneen Roth or someone like her.

There are no rules. Also, 15 lbs is not that big a deal to stress so over. Relax.

@ILTH 

I never heard of her but I will look her up.  15 pounds is a big deal to me!  I was once quite over weight and I never want to go there again, so I guess this is causing me to be fearful -- I have this in my mind.  Most people in my family have a weight issue which has caused serious health issues.  I am one, who when I have something to deal with, I want to go at it -- full on!  Thank you very much for your post.  

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I had been "trying" to lose weight for several years, but lost very little.  Recently my niece lost a lot of weight on the Keto diet.  Then I found out a friend (who was quite heavy) had lost 46 lbs. doing the low carb diet, and she is still losing.  Then lo and behold an ad came on facebook for a book called "Keto after 50" and I bought it.  I read it all the way through and it all made sense to me.   I have been eating that way for 2 months now and have lost 10 lbs.  Another 10 would be great.  I have not had pasta, bread, or sweets (chocolate !!!!) for 8 weeks now.  And I have only had potatoes (fries) once.  Potatoes are a real favorite of mine.  I am getting a bit bored with what I am eating, so I do need to get some recipes and make different things (I am not much of a cook).  I eat meat, cheese, yogurt, salads, nuts, and occasionally some frozen fruit pieces.  But I do feel a bit slimmer and my clothes feel a bit better.  This diet is not for everyone.  But carbs do seem to be the bad guy.  Good luck to you!

@Puppy Lips 

First off, congrats to you for your weight loss!  Yes, it's hard.  I have hard time with the things you posted, too.  I love carbs, myself.  They are my favorite.  Vegetables --- no so much.  It's tiresome to try to eat things which you really couldn't care less about.  Best luck to you also.  I appreciate your kind post. 

Honored Contributor

@Helen Bach wrote:

OP, your breakfast is high in carbs.  I did not know how one banana has a ton of carbs, as does cereal of any kind.  Eat protein at each of your 3 meals and cut out the ice cream except a small portion once a week.  I also think snax are important, but this is where it gets difficult for me so I'm going to stop typing now

@Helen Bach 

It is??  I didn't think my breakfast was bad.  So, I should cut out the banana?  What else is there to eat for breakfast besides cereal, bread of some kind, or eggs?  I don't want to eat eggs because I have high cholesterol.  I am confused I guess.  I thought I was eating a good healthy breakfast.  Thanks!