Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@AngelPuppy1   This was how we approached losing fat many years ago. It doesn't work unless you want to live your life in deprivation.  You don't have to starve to lose.  You might want to do some research.  Take a look at Chef AJs history on You Tube ...you might be pleasantly surprised.  Wishing you all the best!

@phoenixbrd 

Thank you for your suggestions and your support --- I really appreciate it!!!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Congratulations for your commitment to losing weight.  I am certainly not an expert, but it sounds like you are not eating enough.  You might consider having a low calorie lunch for atarters.

Take one day at a time.

Sounds like you may be weighing yourself too frequently.  When you do this, you are setting yourself up for failure.  It’s harder to lose weight as we get older.

Good luck to you.  I am trying to lose some weight I gained after retirement, put on when I was going through some health issues.  It is taking quite a while, but I am doing it.  I weigh myself very infrequently.  

@PamfromCT 

I appreciate all your tips.  I am out of practice with this diet thing!  I believe you about the calories and the weighing thing.  Thank you! 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Tallgal wrote:

I read your post.  I don't think you are eating enough calories and you need to be eating more protein.  You need to be eating 3 healthy meals a day.   Skipping lunch is not good because then you are putting your body into starvation mode.   You need to drink enough water each day because it makes you feel full.  Also, healthy snacks such as a cheese stick, yogurt or a piece of fruit are good to eat.  You need to concentrate on changing your eating habits and focusing on your health.   Do not weigh yourself every day because your body weight fluctuates for various reasons and you can get discouraged.   Only weigh yourself once a week.  You can do this.   My best to you!

@Tallgal 

Thank you very much for your ideas!  I think you are right.  I am trying to be too strict I think.  I will be more mindful of what you are saying. 

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

You need to eat lunch and you need to snack, divide your intake through out the day

@I am still oxox 

Yes, I think I am trying to go too long without eating.  I appreciate your advice.!!  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 you will probably receive a great deal of advice and much of it may differ. I, for exsmp!e, lost 90 lbs 6 six years ago and have easily kept it off by eating a very enjoyable low carb diet. The lower your carbs, the better will be your weight loss. So remember, fruit, for exampke, is our carb. Same with all starches and many other so called healthy foods. Exercise is great for your health, but you will never lose real weight from exercise. Your diet is key. Good luck to you! The effort is well worth it.

@Goldengate8361 

Thanks so much.  And that was great about your weight loss!!!  I appreciate your reply!

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

Congratulations on your new way of living. I lost 123 pounds by throwing out all the snacks and ice cream. Then I got up and started to move more. Got a treadmill and it took me awhile to get up to 1/2 hour on it. I didn’t give up. Then when I felt confident I joined a gym. I keep a food dairy. I don’t eat anything without writing it down. I always say to myself is this food worth the calories? I also do the eat like a king for breakfast a queen for lunch and a pauper for dinner. I only have one snack a day. Don’t go drastic cut your calories slowly. Good luck to you! You can do it!! 👍👍👍👍👍👍❤️

@godi 

Thank you!  Congrats to you on your weight loss!  I have started a journal and am writing things down.  I believe you are right that it helps to keep track this wayl  I thank you so much.  

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Good Morning!

The one thing that stands out to me is, more vegetables, more fiber.

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Thank you.  I do have a struggle with vegetables.  I really love potatoes, and that is not so good.  The rest of vegetables I am not so crazy about unless they are prepared in a fattening way.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Calories in, calories out.  To lose weight, you must use all the calories you take in daily and more that was stored as fat.  With a little research, you'll see a human body uses about 1,000 calories just to live.  It takes energy for all your organs to work, to sit, to walk around.  

I never found a secret around calories in, calories out.  .  

Many years ago, I learned to count calories.  First, I found out how many calories I needed to maintain a certain weight.  You can find how on the internet.  

Then, you need to know how many calories foods contain by using a chart, also on the internet.  Then, measure and weigh the foods you eat to stay within that calorie daily alotment.

You can eat the number of calories to maintain your desired weight or go a little lower to lose faster.  But, it's not healthy to go below 1,000 or even 1,200.  So, it would be a good idea to ask your doctor what's best for you.  Depending on your age, while you're there, ask to have your thyroid tested.  Hypothyroidism causes weight gain. 

Eat healthy, keep the breads and other carbs on the low side.  Yes, you can have desserts...just keep portions small and not every day.

Aerobic exercise is excellent because it burns calories.  So, walking is great.  It's also good for your heart and muscles.  Muscles burn more calories.  So, if you can, do muscle exercises to build them up.  They are passively burning calories. Those with strong muscles usually can eat a little more than others.  

Dieters often reach plateaus where they don't seem to be losing more weight.  The last 10 seem to be the most difficult.  Keep at it, it will pass or you might need to lower the number of calories you're eating a bit and/or increase your aerobic exercise.

Keep in mind weight will fluctuate a pound or so on a daily basis.  Most of the time it is water weight.  I weighed myself everyday, first thing in the morning before eating and drinking anything with no clothes on after a potty stop.  Clothes, shoes, food and liquid in the tummy and bladder can weigh up to 10 pounds.  That's why we weigh so much more at the doctor's.  Once weekly is probably best.  

Keep your eyes on the goal and good luck. 

@Foxxee 

Thank you!  Sounds like you have a good control of your eating habitsl etc.  I used to think I was really good.  But since retiring, I seem to have lost this.  It is I find quite a struggle now.  I appreciate your reply,  

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@AngelPuppy1    I recently lost 11 lbs. It took me several months. If you want to do it the right way & keep it off I think slowly is best. 

This is what worked for me:

- I walk 20-30 minutes every day

- I eat lean meats & fish, salads with oil & vinegar & vegetables. 

- I rarely snack between meals.When I do it’s usually fresh fruit & a few nuts.

- I use the free Lose It App. It helps me keep an eye on calorie intake.You plug in your weight & answer a few questions & the app tells you what your calorie limit should be.

- Once in a while I treat myself.I have a little ice cream, a small piece of cake or a slice of pizza.That goes toward my calories for the day. I then move on & get back on track without beating myself up.

Good for you for taking the first step.Good luck!!

Oh, I don’t weigh myself everyday.When I first started I didn’t weigh myself for 3 weeks.After than maybe once every 7-10 days.I weigh myself in the morning before breakfast in my underwear.

@NicksmomESQ 

Congrats to you on your weight loss!  Good plan you have!  I am going to switch to weighing myself once a week.  Weighing every day makes me get depressed! Thank you for your posting!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

That span between breakfast and dinner is long. I'd consider adding a protein bar for lunch and a piece of fruit as an afternoon snack.

@AuntG 

Thank you.  I think you are right.  I need something for lunch -- small.  I think also I need to maybe make my evening meal smaller.  Too many calories at one time.  Thank you!