Respected Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

@hckynut wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Dislike the word allow  and diet. WHY do you feel you need to lose weight? 

@Group 5 minus 1 ,

I agree. As @sidsmom  said : The WHY is a good place to start and keep as the very top word during the loss part of your journey. A person when running into a rough patch, keep the word WHY as the first thought.

View this as a "constant" not something with a beginning and an end. When one reaches whatever weight goal they have set for themselves, do not totally change the method that brought you success, just alter it a bit to maintain your "WHY".  

Most that are successful, permanently, make their "WHY" a part of every day. Don't obsess, just make it a part of your everyday way of life.

Most everyone does better at any challenge if they set "goals", short term ones that move often. Looking at long term to most seems overwhelming, short term goals changing feel within most individual's grasp.

My best to all,

hckynut

You are totally right about setting short term goals. I forgot that I did that. I first said, I will try to lose 5lbs, then it was 10.  Then I made it to 20lbs weight loss and didn't even think I could accomplish that.  Overwhelming yourself with a giant goal can be very stressful.  I have done the same with exercise, starting up after several years of a very sedentary lifestyle. I just started with easy cardio. Then I made that harder using the incline.  Now I'm also strength training and I've achieved so much that I didn't really even plan on!  

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

You need to throw all the rules out and read Geneen Roth or someone like her.

There are no rules. Also, 15 lbs is not that big a deal to stress so over. Relax.

Esteemed Contributor

I had been "trying" to lose weight for several years, but lost very little.  Recently my niece lost a lot of weight on the Keto diet.  Then I found out a friend (who was quite heavy) had lost 46 lbs. doing the low carb diet, and she is still losing.  Then lo and behold an ad came on facebook for a book called "Keto after 50" and I bought it.  I read it all the way through and it all made sense to me.   I have been eating that way for 2 months now and have lost 10 lbs.  Another 10 would be great.  I have not had pasta, bread, or sweets (chocolate !!!!) for 8 weeks now.  And I have only had potatoes (fries) once.  Potatoes are a real favorite of mine.  I am getting a bit bored with what I am eating, so I do need to get some recipes and make different things (I am not much of a cook).  I eat meat, cheese, yogurt, salads, nuts, and occasionally some frozen fruit pieces.  But I do feel a bit slimmer and my clothes feel a bit better.  This diet is not for everyone.  But carbs do seem to be the bad guy.  Good luck to you!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Super Contributor

OP, your breakfast is high in carbs.  I did not know how one banana has a ton of carbs, as does cereal of any kind.  Eat protein at each of your 3 meals and cut out the ice cream except a small portion once a week.  I also think snax are important, but this is where it gets difficult for me so I'm going to stop typing now

Honored Contributor

Like many people, I can loose the weight, it's keeping the weight off that does me in.

I can't even add up all of the weight I've lost over the years.  However, as soon as I really start loosing the weight, I change my eating habits just a bit and it starts piling back on.

But unlike some people, it goes right back up to what I used to weight.  Some people add on even more weight, not me, it goes right back to where it was.  

I've read that's the most dangerous for a person, yo-yo.  AND it goes on right in the belly/middle, every freaking time.

Anyway, at my age, 73 this year.  I would/will be happy if I could loose just a few pounds.  I've started walking on my treadmill.

I have an amazing treadmill at home.  But here's the catch.  No one has been on it since the day my husband died.  He'd just been running on the thing.  He'd stopped it and gone into our office when he dropped dead.

It's going to be a real, 'head trip' getting on it for the first time but I'll have to pull up my 'big girl panties' and get on the !@#$% thing and start walking.....

I think I can.....I think I can....I know I can....I know I can.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 

Everything in MODERATION.

Weigh no more than once a week.

Best wishes to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1  I lost 50 pounds in 11 months. Roughly a pound a week. I counted calories and had protein at every meal. I didn't give up carbs because due to high cholesterol I have to watch my fat intake. I had no more than 2 fruits a day and cut way back on starches. Breakfast was  around 300 calories, lunch and dinner no more than 400 calories, and afternoon snack usually Greek yougurt or fruit. No ice cream, cookies, or cake. I stayed around 1300 calories a day. Weighed only once a week. I plateau several times but kept going. I agree with everyone else you need to eat 3 meals a day. There's an app called Itrackbites that follows Weight Watchers plans. It's free or you can buy the pro plan for an additional $36.00. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

If you are exercising you could be replacing fat with muscle. The tape measure is often a better indicator, than the scale.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  WHY is important. But, it's the WHY am I eating when I'm not hungry.

That's the basis of the diet (way of eating) I was alluding to.  Eat when you're (physically) hungry, stop when you're (physically) satisfied.  No foods are off-limits or required. No counting calories.  You'll tend, naturally, to gravitate toward a majority of foods that make you feel good after awhile (generally, several meals in a row of cake and ice cream will make most people feel ill).

When you're tempted to eat when you're not physically hungry, stop and examine what's going on.

This is just the bare bones of the diet. It's, basically, intuitive eating. Nothing new, but, it works for those who, regularly, overeat or binge. Everyone overeats once in awhile or out of boredom, depression, loneliness, celebration, etc.  Not a big deal. Go back to your hungry/satisfied eating starting with the next time you're hungry and don't look back.

Obviously, if you have to restrict certain foods due to a medical condition, you honor/adhere to that restriction.  

JMO

Trusted Contributor

Honestly I think you have to play around to and find what works. Most people will say don't skip lunch or make sure to snack. I don't eat lunch and snacking is tough for me. Snacking can often set me off.

Definitely try protein and some good carbs in each meal which it sounds like you do. Carbs are fine but portion is key. My idea of the amount of pasta that's good is really out of whack with what's correct. Also certain stuff might not work for you that you'll notice along the way. Like no fat greek yogurt is good for some people but anything like that slows my weight loss down. Anything creamy for some reason even salad dressings made with yogurt.

I also recommend Weight Watchers. I wasn't going to and one day I went all the way through the sign up process and then bailed before paying. Well they started sending emails and gave me 3 months for half price so 30 bucks. It was a good way to get my head in check and really learn what works for me and to also find out what wasn't. Like finding out how one Lean Cuisine can take up a lot of your points! I dropped 15 pounds which was basically what I needed and I'm a creature of habit and eat a lot of the same stuff all the time so it's easy for me to maintain. But it did make me realize a correct portion of past or rice. Measuring is key when you're starting out.