Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to diet --- key word "trying"

That span between breakfast and dinner is long. I'd consider adding a protein bar for lunch and a piece of fruit as an afternoon snack.

Honored Contributor

Good luck!

I agree with @Tallgal   You are not eating enough

You do need snacks, not so much just for the nutrition but to not allow your metabolism spike up & down.    

The science of dieting is not as simple as calories in, calories out.   They have to be quality calories that you BURN, not store.   And by burning I don't mean do a triathlon.

Do some research on geriatric diet tips.

Your needs are different now.

You need more protein than you think and plenty of water.

Then more water.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I don't want to go on any set plan or special diet, but what I want to ask of you all here is what tips and things work for you when trying to lose some weight?

——————-

I have lost a bit of weight but seem to be stuck and some days go up a bit.  Do you have any advice or tips for me before I get discouraged and quit??

I agree with @phoenixbrd .... deprivation is not a happy way to live.

My initial recommendation....recognize & remember your WHY.

And not ‘to lose weight’.  

Keep drilling down.

Why do you want to lose weight? ‘To look good in jeans’

But why do you want to look good in jeans?

Etc, etc, etc.

I remembering someone saying discovering your ‘WHY’, could be

questioning yourself up to 10 questions deep. It’s just between 

you & you...so you can get really honest.  At the end, the WHY could

something like “I saw my father suffer from cancer, and I’ll do anything

to prevent that’...something so far away from ‘look good in jeans’.

Does that make sense?

At the end, your WHY has to be strong enough for you to never waiver...

to never give up your WHY.  If it’s for health reasons, like many have,

the WHY should be as committing as, say, a marriage. One wouldn't

cheat on their marriage, so why would I cheat on my nutrition which

could cause me to possibly die? Look at all the successful weightloss

stories.  Their WHY is almost always at the forefront of everything 

they do. Anyone with a passionate mission in life has their WHY.

——————

After the WHY is known, the logistics set in.

Calorie Density, High Fiber, Whole Foods

Translation = low fat, lots of vegetables, beans, starches, fruit

TONS of food for little calories/fat.

I see all the diets you’ve tried, but Low Fat, Whole Foods,

Plant Based wasn’t one of them. I highly suggest ‘The Starch Solution’!

Everything’s online, free, so you could begin immediately.

Here’s a Success Stories thread...lots of inspiration!

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Plant-Based-Success-Stories/m-p/4813814#M140339

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1 You are setting yourself up for failure not eating regularly to keep your energy up and your body with fuel.

If you can, go see your doctor and get him to refer you to a nutritionist, who will be able to help you get started.  That person can also recommend some good, sensible NON FAD eating plans and help you tailor it to your needs and likes during a few visits and recommend something that should work for you.

You can read books and jump from fad eating plan to fad eating plan, and not find anything that will make you healthier--which is the goal after all isn't it?

Please if you are able through your insurance plan or doctor or your local hospital (they usually have free classes), retires associations or library or other groups, find a good source of information and maybe even a good support group.

It will pay off in the long run!  Good luck to you and best wishes!

Honored Contributor

Dislike the word allow  and diet. Why do you feel you need to lose weight? 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

What works for me is activity.  I must exercise every day or I just feel sluggish and bad.  I only allow myself to be weighed at my Dr.'s visits.  Sometimes that can be only for my six month check ups or sooner if I become ill.  Went in last Friday after only a couple of months for a sinus infection and weighed exactly the same.  Healthy foods daily with goals for indulgence for holidays or family celebrations of some sort to look forward to helps me.  Activity, healthy eating, and something to shoot for without guilt.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Dislike the word allow  and diet. WHY do you feel you need to lose weight? 

@Group 5 minus 1 ,

I agree. As @sidsmom  said : The WHY is a good place to start and keep as the very top word during the loss part of your journey. A person when running into a rough patch, keep the word WHY as the first thought.

View this as a "constant" not something with a beginning and an end. When one reaches whatever weight goal they have set for themselves, do not totally change the method that brought you success, just alter it a bit to maintain your "WHY".  

Most that are successful, permanently, make their "WHY" a part of every day. Don't obsess, just make it a part of your everyday way of life.

Most everyone does better at any challenge if they set "goals", short term ones that move often. Looking at long term to most seems overwhelming, short term goals changing feel within most individual's grasp.

My best to all,

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I don't think diet is a dirty word.  It's a time in life when you're being more regimented with what you eat so as to drop weight. Then you go into maintenance mode.  Personally I found cutting back on snacking was very helpful.  I used to be a snack maniac.  Now I just have one snack a day around 5:30pm.  I also think eating breakfast even if you don't really feel like it is a good policy. Gets your metabolism going for the day. Anway good luck to you and I hope you achieve your goals!  Just commiting to it is an accomplishment.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1    has to be something you can stick with.  Remember losing weight is more about what you eat( or don't eat) and not about how much exercise you do.  Much easier to not eat 1000 calories than to try to burn them. 

Honored Contributor

I suggest Weight Watchers; you can do it online now.  The online program is easy to follow and very user friendly.