Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trampoline investigation on local news

My daughter was a gymnast... a very good one who practiced 5 or more days a week in a local gym. Every trick, every apparatus she practiced on, there was a trainer by her side.  She never got on a trampoline but had the gym owned one it would have been carefully watched.  My point is: You cannot let kids or even adults get on equipment without a watchful eye and expect them the come out withoug injury.  

Honored Contributor

About fifteen years ago, my young nephew broke his arm on a trampoline.

Respected Contributor

I knew friends growing up who would have the huge trampolines in their backyard and even our school gym had them. I never got hurt using them growing up. There were parents around and gym teachers. I was taught the proper safety and how to jump on them and manipulate my body with tricks and flips. I do think parents must supervise their children and friends if they own one of these things. 

Last summer though a friends daughter broke her finger while jumping on one because a boy jumped on with her while she was high in the air and she is very small and she went flying off of it and fell onto the ground and landed on her hands and broke a finger. 

Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

My guess is there might be underlying, undiagnosed structural issues with some children that break leg bones when using a GOOD trampoline PROPERLY, unless it was some type of trauma accident.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn-I suspect you are right - plus I don't think children have good nutrition for their bones anymore. 

Esteemed Contributor

Accidents happen with any activity.  Had a friend tear up her knee whild walking down the street.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@scotnovel @hckynutjohn @Annabellethecat66

Actually it's a problem for ALL children,
and their broken bones are worse
because they can affect growth plates.
This articles long so I'll post a portion
but you can go to the link.

http://www.wthr.com/story/31170636/trampoline-trauma-toddlers-at-higher-risk-for-bounce-injuries

::

"Pediatric bone is different than adult bone," explained Dr. Randall Loder, an orthopedic surgeon at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis and chairman of the Indiana University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.

"The younger child's bone, it's softer. It's more compressible. It's spongy.

Pediatric bone can fail relatively easily. If the forces are just right, it can snap."

It happens more frequently than many parents realize.

13 Investigates analyzed nationwide injury data from the Consumer Product Safety Commission's National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.

For 2014 (the most recent year for which data is available), hospital records show an estimated 104,691 people suffered trampoline injuries serious enough to visit an emergency room.

The vast majority (85%) involve children – many of them very young.

CPSC data reveals children ages 2 to 5 accounted for 24,318 trampoline-related ER visits in 2014.

A whopping 42% of those injuries among toddlers and pre-schoolers were for bone fractures.

And to put the trampoline fracture rate in perspective,

government data shows emergency rooms across the United States treated

seven times the number of broken bones for 4 to 6 years olds injured on trampolines

compared to 4 to 6 years olds injured by playing soccer."

"One of those breaks (2-year-old son Cooper) went through the growth plate," Susan said.

"That's a problem," said Loder, who diagnosed the injury.

"That's not a small injury."

A growth plate is an area of soft cartilage tissue near the end of children's bones. As kids get older, that thin band of cartilage produces new cells that harden and make the bone longer.

It's a natural process that explains how children get taller. But if a growth plate gets cracked or badly injured, it means the bone's ability to grow in that area stops – and the real trouble begins."

"..............the American Academy of Pediatrics. The organization's official position recommends pediatricians should advise parents to keep their kids off recreational trampolines – like those found at trampoline parks and those sold for backyard use.

Among the findings of AAP's own study:

• Many injuries occur even with reported adult supervision.
• Multiple jumpers increase injury risk, particularly to the smallest participants.
• Individuals 5 years and younger appear to be at increased risk of fractures and dislocations from trampoline-related injuries.

"Pediatricians need to

actively discourage recreational trampoline use,"

wrote an author of the AAP's most

recent policy statement."

@newziesuzie -Thank you for your posting.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

My guess is there might be underlying, undiagnosed structural issues with some children that break leg bones when using a GOOD trampoline PROPERLY, unless it was some type of trauma accident.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn-I suspect you are right - plus I don't think children have good nutrition for their bones anymore. 

No @hoosieroriginal with all due respect

he's not right

according to the investigative reports

and the experts, that's why I posted the article

and there's more explanation at the link.

Its dangerous for ALL children.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Accidents happen with any activity.  Had a friend tear up her knee whild walking down the street.

True anything can happen but

this is about children's bones before

growth plates are completely formed,

plus the number of people walking down

the street and their knee falling apart

is probably small.

😉

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@hckynutjohn wrote:

hckynut(john)

You should both read the article she attached in a later post. It explains why this happens to children.

" 'Pediatric bone is different than adult bone,' explained Dr. Randall Loder, an orthopedic surgeon at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis and chairman of the Indiana University Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. 'The younger child's bone, it's softer. It's more compressible. It's spongy. Pediatric bone can fail relatively easily. If the forces are just right, it can snap.'

It happens more frequently than many parents realize."

They also point out that gymnasts are an exception because, as John mentioned, part of the issue is not doing things properly. If you have a trampoline in the backyard, you usually don't have an expert coach there to show you how to do things safely.

The article is here:
http://www.wthr.com/story/31170636/trampoline-trauma-toddlers-at-higher-risk-for-bounce-injuries

Esteemed Contributor

@newziesuzie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

True anything can happen but

this is about children's bones before

growth plates are completely formed,

plus the number of people walking down

the street and their knee falling apart

is probably small.

😉

With all due respect, the point being no activity is 100 percent safe.  Children get hurt all the time doing the simplest things.  Children need to be active.  Strong musles will protect bones and joints.  Growth plates do not completely close till children are in thier teens.  Cannot keep them in bubble wrap till then.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.