Respected Contributor

Re: Trampoline investigation on local news

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Accidents happen with any activity.  Had a friend tear up her knee whild walking down the street.

True anything can happen but

this is about children's bones before

growth plates are completely formed,

plus the number of people walking down

the street and their knee falling apart

is probably small.

😉

With all due respect, the point being no activity is 100 percent safe.  Children get hurt all the time doing the simplest things.  Children need to be active.  Strong musles will protect bones and joints.  Growth plates do not completely close till children are in thier teens.  Cannot keep them in bubble wrap till then.

But you're missing the point imho.

The article or the experts didn't say to keep children 

in bubble wrap, I don't know where that

came from lol.  It's not about kids not

being active or saying other things

can't be dangerous potentially.😊

The point is to educate about how

young bones react to this one particular type of

activity.

@ChynnaBlue maybe you can help explain?

✌️✌✌

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Honored Contributor

OK, I'm ready.   My daughter uses the words 'helicopter parents'.

They are all excellent parents.  When I was a kid I got to play outdoors all day into the night.  Kids can't do that anymore.  I got to do a lot of things children can't do anymore.  Children spend way too much time indoors.  They sit in front of the TV and the computers.

I STILL believe if monitored trampolines are fine for children (the enclosed ones and if it isn't every day all day long.

There are so few things children can do anymore outside.  The laws that are on the books aren't enforced, if they were we wouldn't be afraid to be out at night.

Tell me, what do you suggest children do outside?  I don't understand.  This is a case where parents don't monitor their children and let them overdo it, like so many other things.

My grandchildren go on bike rides with their parents, belong to swim clubs, play in their back yard, etc.

When I think of some of the things I did when I was a child!!  A lot of the changes have been good to protect the children.  I see nothing with cautioning parents about letting their children spend inordinate amounts of time on trampolines.  However, it won't matter because there are some parents who don't monitor their children anyway, so they won't care.

I am soooo tired of hearing, "Children are overweight.  Children spend too much time on the computer.  Bla Bla!"  Well, what are they supposed to do outside, run around?  They can't go on their own because it's unsafe.  Playing in their backyard (sometimes) on the trampoline is good exercise.  It's something the parents can do with the children.

Don't go changing my words saying that I disagree about trampolines.  However, I do believe it is like everything in this world.....'if you have a child, you are responsible for the care of that child' (that means monitoring everything).

Have any of you ever been on one of these trampolines?  Most people can't stay on those things for too long (it's exhausting and a workout).  

Honored Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

@granddi wrote:

Thank goodness for guardian angels! My children grew up with an old fashion trampoline and had hours and hours of fun. Our son would ride up to it on his trike and stand on the seat to then climb on the mat. 

But then those were the days of minimal or no car seats, using bumper pads in the baby crib and riding bikes without helmets.

we used to go to a trampoline park where the owner rigged up wire grids covered with canvas.  the grids were 14 x 20 ft and anchored by heavy duty springs.  there was sand about 2ft under the canvas.  i wonder if anyone cracked their head open because there was concrete all around the edges.!  

my mother would drop  us all off and we would play for hours

there were gas-powered go-karts there too!   no helmets. 

i know the homeowners is higher if you have a trampoline or a pool (in my state)

I remember those "parks" in Calif and also remember the liabability became so high that they all closed down by us..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I think there should be parental supervision at all times with them. 3 summers ago the neighbor's kids were jumping off the garage roof and onto their trampoline........

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@newziesuzie wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Accidents happen with any activity.  Had a friend tear up her knee whild walking down the street.

True anything can happen but

this is about children's bones before

growth plates are completely formed,

plus the number of people walking down

the street and their knee falling apart

is probably small.

😉

With all due respect, the point being no activity is 100 percent safe.  Children get hurt all the time doing the simplest things.  Children need to be active.  Strong musles will protect bones and joints.  Growth plates do not completely close till children are in thier teens.  Cannot keep them in bubble wrap till then.

Of course children need to be active and this isn't about suggesting that kids be bubble wrapped or not do anything.  But trampolines specifically have a higher risk. In fact, homeowners insurance policies specifically ask if you have a trampoline on your property because they are SO associated with injuries. 

I broke my leg falling off my bike when I was 12, I certainly am not saying no one should ride bikes. Trampolines are more dangerous than other activities.  Perhaps to some people, the enjoyment of it is worth the risk.  Like base jumping or sky diving or rock climbing or whatnot.  

Different activities have different levels of risk.  Sure, you can get hit by a bus an break your leg walking across the street.  But you are sure as heck more likely to break your leg on a trampoline--THAT is the point!!!    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie,

After reading your post I think it is necessary for the parents all young children to search online any or all sources of bone development in children. I read where for girls full bone development is age 18, for boys that age is 20. 

My original post I purposely started with the words "my guess", because it was just a guess. No children raised by wife and myself, so was not high on my list of priorities during my years of educating myself on human physiology.

I am glad you followed through with some specific information about humans bone growth and maturation. There is certainly plenty of info out there for parents of young children if they are concerned about their children's skeletal structure by age and bone density nutrition.

Thank you for pointing out that my first post was not medically factual, and there is much more to young bone health, as related to injuries, than just my guess of undetected underlying or traumatic bone accidents.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@newziesuzie,

After reading your post I think it is necessary for all young children to search online any or all sources of bone development in children. I read where for girls full bone development is age 18, for boys that age is 20. 

My original post I purposely started with the words "my guess", because it was just a guess. No children raised by wife and myself, so was not high on my list of priorities during my years of educating myself on human physiology.

I am glad you followed through with some specific information about humans bone growth and maturation. There is certainly plenty of info out there for parents of young children if they are concerned about their children's skeletal structure by age and bone density nutrition.

Thank you for pointing out that my first post was not medically factual, and there is much more to young bone health, as related to injuries, than just my guess of undetected underlying or traumatic bone accidents.

hckynut(john)

@hckynutjohn

Hi!  And thank you for such a nice post! 😊

I know you have good awareness of health

issues from your personal experiences and

much about

our bodies and injuries etc. from your hockey 

in depth knowledge too,

Ive learned a lot from your posts since

I've been here.

I'm glad @hoosieroriginal

posted this thread for all of us to learn or share.

thanks again both of you!

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Super Contributor

Trampolines are an orthopedic surgeon's favorite device-----they help put their kids through college for free with all of the work they provide them.

In all seriousness, they are a pediatrician's nightmare.  I have had two kids in the past month require emergent surgery for serious fractures.   Just say no. 

BUT . . . . if you DO decide to have a trampline make sure it is properly insured under your homeowner's insurance (in our state you can't find a policy under 5k a year).  I have a patient now who broke his leg and sustained a concussion on a neighbor's trampoline last year. His medical bills are in the 6 digit range at this time.  BUT HIS HEALTH INSURANCE IS REFUSING TO COVER THE COST OF TREATMENT----STATING THE OWNER OF THE TRAMPOLINE'S HOMEOWNER'S POLICY SHOULD COVER IT.  Well guess what?  The owners do NOT have the trampoline insured and they are being sued by the insurance company for payment.  It's a huge disaster.  If you chose to have one of these nightmares in your backyard, get it insured at minimum.

Honored Contributor

I cannot help wondering if part of the problem could be nutritional deficiencies caused by the junk that SOME people feed their kids.

Last week I was watching a show with this morbidly obese woman and her weight loss journey.  She had a baby - A BABY!!! - and the only food she ever gave that baby was 100% junk food.      I would have never thought so maybe I'm just naive in this (I don't think so, but maybe).    Who feeds a little baby nothing but junk food and what kind of impact does that have on the development of their bodies?   

That could (I sure hope!) be an extreme example.  But I imagine somebody coming up from the time they are less than a year old being fed nothing but krap having some serious problems with physical development.

Esteemed Contributor

@ChillyTulip wrote:

Trampolines are an orthopedic surgeon's favorite device-----they help put their kids through college for free with all of the work they provide them.

Both of my Orthopod friends like our good ole Nebraska winters. Snow and ice and all those vehicle wrecks? Neither of them ever mentioned a trampoline ramping up their patient numbers.

I will say however that neither of these Ortho Surgeons are in the a Pediatric field. Next time my wife "dog sits" for 1 of them, I have her ask him about his patient load % that are trampoline related.

I know you you are saying this "in jest", but now am curious and will have my wife ask him about his thoughts about " kids versus the trampoline". Will post what he tells her about his experiences and thoughts about these things.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)