Respected Contributor

I had two upper molars extracted prior to getting braces several years ago.  I was freaked out...but there really was no need.  They started an IV and i was out and didn't feel a thing.

You will be very woozy when you wake up, and will need a driver who will also need to help you out to the car!

The oral surgeon will send you home with wads of gauze, as you will need to change it out, as it wil bleed for awhile.

But I really did worry a lot unnecessarily.  Good luck...you will do fine.

Honored Contributor

Seriously, don't stress over it.  You won't have a clue as to what's going on 😊 

Respected Contributor

Goodness. I've had more than a few teeth pulled and have never been "put under," nor would I allow it.  DH had his wisdom teeth removed as well while awake.

The thought of having anesthesia for a pretty simple dental action scares me more than any procedure.

Depending on which tooth it is, or if it is not complex, the process could be very, very fast.  

They will certainly numb the gum and nerve area before they extract the tooth anyway.  If you take advil or a pain killer in advance that might help reduce follow-up pain, but I am not sure if you are allowed to mix that with anesthesia.

I think some dentists put people under who have a lot of fear or anxiety. It is just kind of a convenience experience, not truly needed for medical reasons.  I have been to the dentist's office since I was a young girl for different procedures, so I do not let it phase me.  My dentist has calming music and even television shows to watch!

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper You are right about the anesthesia.  I've not been put under for dental work (including wisdom teeth) but most others I know have.  And think it is an anxiety issue for many. My MIL has said she wants to be put to sleep as she doesn't want to know or feel anything dentist is doing!   My son recently had his wisdom teeth pulled and wasn't given a choice. They decided he'd be put clear out for it. His biggest fear was saying something embarrassing upon waking up from the anesthesia as he'd heard that can happen.