Honored Contributor
On 1/17/2015 KYToby said:
On 1/16/2015 Nightowlz said:

Wow cannot believe out of 54 views nobody has any answers???

Seriously? After only 31 minutes you are posting this? While I sympathize, you have had this for a while, and you expect others to drop things they are doing and respond immediately?

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor
On 1/17/2015 NYC Susan said:

Seriously? After only 31 minutes you are posting this? While I sympathize, you have had this for a while, and you expect others to drop things they are doing and respond immediately?

Not only that, but nobody here has the "answers". Even a health care professional cannot possibly provide answers without examining the OP.

Someone with those symptoms (especially shortness of breath & wheezing!) for so long needs more help than she can get from a forum for a home-shopping channel. The answers should come from someone qualified to give them.

I mean no offense to anyone (other than, perhaps, to QVC for allowing all the diagnosing and prescribing that goes on here every day). However, I've said before that I'm no fan of these threads soliciting medical counsel, nor of posts providing medical counsel.

I think people mean well but I've seen some dreadfully inaccurate, even dangerous advice about treatment and medications. I continue to be astonished QVC even allows it. Healthcare-by-internet can be perilous. Our body, our well-being, our health deserves far better.

Regarding responses in general, I can understand how it feels to start a thread and to notice it has been viewed many times but with no responses. However, it helps to remember not everyone reading a thread has an answer to offer. I wish you good health, Nightowlz.Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor
On 1/18/2015 dooBdoo said:

Not only that, but nobody here has the "answers". Even a health care professional cannot possibly provide answers without examining the OP.

Someone with those symptoms (especially shortness of breath & wheezing!) for so long needs more help than she can get from a forum for a home-shopping channel. The answers should come from someone qualified to give them.

I mean no offense to anyone (other than, perhaps, to QVC for allowing all the diagnosing and prescribing that goes on here every day). However, I've said before that I'm no fan of these threads soliciting medical counsel, nor of posts providing medical counsel.

I think people mean well but I've seen some dreadfully inaccurate, even dangerous advice about treatment and medications. I continue to be astonished QVC even allows it. Healthcare-by-internet can be perilous. Our body, our well-being, our health deserves far better.

Regarding responses in general, I can understand how it feels to start a thread and to notice it has been viewed many times but with no responses. However, it helps to remember not everyone reading a thread has an answer to offer. I wish you good health, Nightowlz.Smile

I could not agree with you more!

I have also seen medical advice given here that is not only incorrect, but also dangerous. What works for some can be lethal for others. OTC medications are not safe just because a prescription is not required. Neither are herbs. And some medications can't just be stopped - They need to be tapered. I also can't imagine telling someone they don't need to see a doctor. Not one person here is qualified to say that.

We are not all the same. Medical history, current medications, past illness, chronic conditions, family history, and a whole lot of other things have to be taken into consideration. I see things recommended here all the time that are off-limits for people with common conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and others. And what causes terrible side effects for one person may be a godsend for another.

I wish QVC didn't allow these threads either. They pop up all the time, and people always attempt to be helpful, but much of the info is incorrect and way too broad. Anyone who has a medical situation or question should be speaking to a doctor they know and trust. And if they don't have one, they should get one.

Regular Contributor
On 1/16/2015 Lillyrose said:

You also need to have a doctor listen to your lungs and check for other diseases, like whooping cough and or mono. You might need a chest xray.

Stay hydrated and rest when you can. But be sure to see a doctor, you've had these symptoms too long.

I agree!

I know at least 5 people right now who are sick - sick enough that they're restricted to home. Bronchitis, respiratory infections, and pneumonia. None of them has the flu. There are a lot of illnesses out there, and it's best for each person to find out which one they have. Guessing and asking people on a home-shopping message board makes no sense to me. Small illnesses can become big ones if left untreated. And why would anyone suffer so long, not to mention run the very high risk of infecting other people?

Shortness of breath & wheezing should not be ignored! Neither should a persistent cough. The time for self-diagnosing is long past.

If I was sick with those kinds of symptoms for 2 months and my doctor wouldn't see me for 2-3 more weeks, I would find another doctor.

I for sure would be upset. And I agree as to getting another Dr. In fact I ditto all you said. In fact, short of breath is enough to send you to the er. That's life threatening.
Regular Contributor
Right before Christmas I felt lousy..it took me weeks to feel human! I got a flu shot in Nov. My 5 week old grandson ran a temp (an emergency with a newborn) and went to the ER...He had a positive test. His big bro ( only 16 mos old) had a flu shot earlier but was SO sick.. tested positive for the flu...meanhile.. both their parents felt sick on and off (both had f lu shots too) I spend so much time with all of them, felt crummy, but not full-on bedridden... Christmas Day, my Hubby got sicker than ever--fever, aches & slep the day away! He also bad a flu shot and took Tamiflu...My point & opinion: it's been an AWFUL flu year! I think I most definitely had tbe flu...So did my daughter and husband...But.. just not as bad and hard as the rest of the family...I fought it for weeks, others in my family felt sick just for a few days...you are past tbe belp thT Tamiflu can give you... take it EZ...this thing can take FOREVER to resolve itzelf!!!
Trusted Contributor

Nightowlz, I am sorry that you aren't feeling well.

Sometimes I have had to make "judgment calls" with my health, and I have ended up going to a walk-in clinic over the weekend when not feeling well, because I didn't want to wait for the doctor's office to open on Monday.

I tend to get bronchitis and pneumonia rather easily, as I have asthma. When I get sick, I tend to get quite sick. A cough tends to linger on with me, too, but will eventually go away.

I hope that you were able to get in to see your doctor, or were able to talk to his nurse, and I hope that you feel better soon. I have had viruses linger on, too. No fun.

Take care of yourself.

Honored Contributor

LOL I haven't had the flu and don't know anyone who has so I'm no help.

Frequent Contributor

I think there are a couple of strains. I got hit last Sunday and was out of work all week. I am NEVER that sick. Fever (highest 103.8), sleep, coughing, no appetite (lost 7 pounds that I don't plan on finding), malaise, headache. Went to docs last Monday and got Tamiflu and cough medicine with codeine.

One week later - temp has been normal for a few days but still lethargic, coughing up a storm (and am taking cough medicine with codeine) and appetite still not back. No headache BUT my hair hurts. LOL Was on Tamiflu since we caught it, cough medicine with codeine and since by Thurday I was STILL feeling real bad and fever off and on got an antibiotic. No sinus issues (and I'm a asthmatic so I pay real real real close attention to that). Heading back to work tomorrow and hope I don't fall asleep at my desk. This one is not one that flu shot would have caught.