Respected Contributor

Be honest.......

Are you current with your tetanus shot?

A friend of ours needed a tetanus shot and my DH and I got to talking.....it has been a LONG time since we have had one.  I have to say my doctors never ask or remind me.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Be honest.......

Are you current with your tetanus shot?

A friend of ours needed a tetanus shot and my DH and I got to talking.....it has been a LONG time since we have had one.  I have to say my doctors never ask or remind me.

I am current with my tetanus shot because I got caught in the middle of two cats fighting (both outdoor cats) and got bitten. 

I am also current with my rabies shots because a bat got into my old apartment and landed right on top of me when I was in bed.  I wasn't bitten, but no one knew how long that bat was in the apartment and could have left saliva on the countertops, etc.  The safest thing to do was to get the shots.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Nope!

My last one was somewhere between 1996 and 1999, when I saved a mouse that my two cats were 'playing' with, LOL.

The poor baby accidentally gave me a tiny bite, and it was recommended that I get the shot just in case.

Respected Contributor

Nope.  I've never had one.  I have a needle phobia and it's difficult for me to get shots.

Respected Contributor

Yes ... doctor suggested it at my last visit (which was a few months ago) My last shot was about 10 years ago.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my husband and and I are up to date on our tetanus vaccinations.   When my husband was working, there was always an accident every few years that kept his tetanus up to date.  He was due for one last year, and got it thru the VA.   I stayed up to date thru my hospital employment, but had my last tetanus shot in April in my doctors office.  My 81 year old mother updated her tetanus vaccination last month.  For some odd reason, Mom thought she didn't have to keep vaccinations current after a certain age.  She learned from her doctor that she was wrong.   

Honored Contributor

I got my last one in 1994, I was at my PCP's for a checkup, and next thing I know I was jabbed with a needle. Bothered my arm so bad, I did not sleep for 5 nights after. I swore I would never get another one unless it was absolutely necessary.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I got my last one in 1994, I was at my PCP's for a checkup, and next thing I know I was jabbed with a needle. Bothered my arm so bad, I did not sleep for 5 nights after. I swore I would never get another one unless it was absolutely necessary.

I hear you.  I am also one of those people who "react badly" to tetanus shots.

I look like I have a Popeye muscle on my one bicep!!! The shot hurt worse and longer than the injury that required me to get the shot.

Honored Contributor

I had a severe reaction to one years ago that lasted a week. When I described the reaction to our Employee Health nurse (I could get a free one if desired), she stated that in that case they wouldn't give me one, but refer me to my PCP. I will get one when I stop working, as I think my employer would frown on 2-3 days unable to work because of a tetanus shot.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Yes. When my daughter recently had a baby her doctor recommended everyone in contact with the baby get a DTaP shot (diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis) since there has been a rise in pertussis in babies.  So we got the added bonus of updating our tetanus shots.