Regular Contributor

Husband saw doctor today for second time in 4 days, diagnosed with infuenza, prescribed Tamiflu.  After contacting several pharmacies, found one with it in stock.  price was $132.00--with insurance.  I've never heard anybody mention the price of this drug before--lots of tv ads for it, though.  We live in central Indiana.  What's Tamiflu cost aaround the country?

Esteemed Contributor

@lbwshop wrote:

Husband saw doctor today for second time in 4 days, diagnosed with infuenza, prescribed Tamiflu.  After contacting several pharmacies, found one with it in stock.  price was $132.00--with insurance.  I've never heard anybody mention the price of this drug before--lots of tv ads for it, though.  We live in central Indiana.  What's Tamiflu cost aaround the country?

Wow! That is crazy! What amount does insurance cover? I would be interested in knowing that. I have never gotten Tamiflu.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@lbwshop wrote:

Wow! That is crazy! What amount does insurance cover? I would be interested in knowing that. I have never gotten Tamiflu.

wonder what it would be with out Insurance, [drug pries have gone off the wall in recent years

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@lbwshop wrote:

wonder what it would be with out Insurance, [drug pries have gone off the wall in recent years

And they push them constantly.  Can't believe the number of drugs they push on TV ads.  It's a big money maker.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

I checked the Goodrx website since they sometimes have good discounts.  Their prices varied from $138 to about $146, with no insurance.  So there really wasn't much of a discount but it doesn't seem your insurance is very good.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My sister just had to buy three separate Tamilu prescriptions for her family.  She told me she paid $150 total. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Two years ago when I got the flu (twice!), the second time I was prescribed Tamiflu.  I'm in Texas and it cost $35.00.  But then again, that was a couple of years ago.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

It's a vicious circle.  Drug companies advertise a lot because they want you to request their products.  Then they raise their prices to cover marketing costs (all those commercials...).  And people don't care because their prescriptions are covered by insurance.  Unless of course they have deductibles and copays or don't have insurance at all.  They're the ones who feel the pain.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Tamiflu Price!!

[ Edited ]

I think part of it has to do with the deductible at this time of the year.  As the year goes along meds go down in price, because your deductible has been paid.    A script we got at end of year listed retail as $3,935.00, it cost us 32cents.--------tedEbear

Trusted Contributor

It's been a few years since we needed to order Tamiflu.  After insurance, our cost was about $30.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"