Super Contributor

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the gastric sleeve. Was considering it for myself then saw it today on Dr. Oz. Leaves 1/10 of your stomach and helps with hunger by decreasing some hunger hormone in your stomach. Supposedly less invasive and less complications than lap band or gastric bypass.

Our hospital here has an excellent obesity center. 🏥

I've literally tried everything and my weight just goes up. I never seem to feel full.

I'm doing my homework big time on this end, just wondering what you all may have heard.  

Thank you! ☺

Thanks! 

Honored Contributor

@StillFuntoShop wrote:

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the gastric sleeve. Was considering it for myself then saw it today on Dr. Oz. Leaves 1/10 of your stomach and helps with hunger by decreasing some hunger hormone in your stomach. Supposedly less invasive and less complications than lap band or gastric bypass.

Our hospital here has an excellent obesity center. 🏥

I've literally tried everything and my weight just goes up. I never seem to feel full.

I'm doing my homework big time on this end, just wondering what you all may have heard.  

Thank you! ☺

Thanks! 

My wife's cousin had this surgery a few months ago and is losing weight. I really don't know much about this as her cousin lives in LA and we are in Nebraska.

My wife had Gastric Bypass in 2008. She lost over half of what she weighed pre-sugery. She is still maintain her weight loss 6 years later. She went with this over Lap Band because she was told with the bypass surgery she would not be hungry. She was not and is not hungry as in the past.

She knows her surgery is only a TOOL to help her lose and maintain her weight loss. The other parts are: Exercise and a better choice of the foods she eats. No matter what method you choose, you will still have to change your lifestyle. If you don't exercise? START.  If you do exercise? Find a way to do more or do the same at a higher heart rate. NEVER DO ANYTHING I JUST SAID UNTIL YOUR DOCTOR IS FULLY INFORMED.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Frequent Contributor

Biggest risk for Acid Reflux especially with the shape of the sleeve. Many have had to have a reversal due to the severe Gerd complications.

Do a Google on the complications of the Sleeve and GERD /Acid Reflux. 

There is no easy decision with major pros and cons with both surgeries. 

Honored Contributor

The only thing I've heard about gastric sleeve is that you don't lose as much weight as you do when you have gastric bypass surgery.  I heard this when they just started doing the gastric sleeve.  Things may have improved by now.  I would definitely discuss both options with your surgeon.  With the lap-band surgery you really don't lose nearly as much weight as with the other two.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I have had lap band about 6 years ago. Lost 85 lbs. Started gettting sick alot and had to have fluid removed from the band. I still have the band but no fluid in it to make it tight. I have considered the sleeve as an alternative. THe band is very sensitive in terms of stress. Every time I feel stressed out it would tighten up and then I could not eat and would just get sick, or eat around it with soft foods such as milk shakes, which was not the right thing to do. I feel that these tools will give you a huge success rate if you try. It is only a tool and you do have to change things up especially  being prepared mentally. The band is the only one that can be removed as far as I know. The other surgeries are permanant.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

Re: Gastric Sleeve

[ Edited ]

There are a million reasons NOT to have surgery.

Chances of regaining the weight is very high with bariatric surgery.

Sure, you'll get the success story here/there, but your life is never the same.

When you post came up, I shared it with a good friend of mine.

She lost over 200 lbs eating a plant-based diet.

No surgery.

And this success story is not usual at all in my plant-based world.

I could give you more success stories than you can imagine...

all while eating real food, without restriction. 

@StillFuntoShop

May I ask why you are considering?

Just weight?   Or are there underlying health issues?

Esteemed Contributor

Over the years I have had several friends who had bypass, the sleeve etc.  None of them is slim, at least one is even more morbidly obese than before her procedure.  They have all had many other (unusual for their age) health issues.  The most common across the board is with their teeth.  The necessity of dentures in your forties is way beyond my comprehension!

New Contributor

Someone worked for me that had a sleeve. She has had quite a few problems and had it removed. Please join LCHF - low carb high fat Facebook group. You will lose weight, you won't be hungry and you'll feel better than you ever have. There are people in that group that have or have had a sleeve. Talk to them. There is no quick fix to get rid of weight, if there was I would have been all over it. You have to make a commitment to change your way of eating especially if you are always hungry. That tells me you are eating sugar, grains and high carb foods. I've been there, I've tried every paid program like Jenny Craig, nutrisystem, weight watchers and on and on. I've tried low calorie, low fat, starving, diet pills and on and on. None of that works for the long term. Before you consider a major surgery please join this Facebook group or Peace Love and Low Carb is a good one too. The first one is more informational. You'll see people's before and after pics that will motivate you. There isn't anything that I used to love that I can't make low carb. Pinterest has 1000s of recipes and ideas too. Check it out. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Good Luck with whatever you decide. 

Super Contributor

Thank you so much to everyone for your thoughtful responses. It is really helpful on these boards because you can get objective opinions, more so than from people who know you "in person"!  Bless you all. Sincere thanks for your time. 💖

@sidsmom, thank you for your question. I am worried as I watch my weight go up more and more. I have MS and am not in a wheelchair, but have chronic pain and extreme fatigue. I just never feel full when I eat. I am often having bloodwork and other tests. I am sort of feeling like something extreme is all that is left for me. Been trying to work out risk vs. benefit, etc. I am so glad for your friend! I have even tried the Paleo diet, but I thought I was going to lose my mind! 🍗

Super Contributor

@kiskitty - thank you so much for the Facebook group recommendations, and for your kind and thoughtful words. I will check them out tonight! Welcome to the boards! 

I'm just sending out a hug to you all for taking the time to reach out and help. I'm feeling so grateful. 😇