Occasional Contributor

Your insurance prescription coverage probably doesn't "kick in" until you reach a certain amount.

A flu shot would have been cheaper.

Honored Contributor

@ladyjersey wrote:

Your insurance prescription coverage probably doesn't "kick in" until you reach a certain amount.

A flu shot would have been cheaper.

Getting a flu shot doesn't guarantee you won't get the flu, as noted on other threads in this section.

I wonder if there's a GENERIC for Tamiflu?

Honored Contributor

Says right up front on the commercials that it's only effective if taken within 48 hrs of first symptoms, and that it shortens the symtoms by *1.5* days.

Very difficult to call a doctor, be seen and pick up a Rx within 48 hrs of first symptoms - after which time, according to the drug company's own literature, it's too late to work. For 1-1/2 days' worth of feeling *slightly* better.

Not worth it, to me. And the side effects include nausea, vomiting & diarrhea (just what one needs when having the flu), as well as nosebleeds, hallucinations, psychosis and suicidal thoughts.

These particular drugs (the flu treatments) seem to me to be highly advertised, expensive, and not worth the cost, either monetary or possible side effect-wise, for a lousy day and a half shortening of symptoms.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

It's crazy - the price of drugs.  I just got a prescription for an anti-fungal cream - $500 for a 85 gm tube!  $176.50 co-pay!!!!!  Doctors have no idea the cost.  I'm  calling him to ask for a generic substtitute.  I have another 'script for eye drops - little tiny 5mL bottle - $47 co-pay!!!  Total waste since, no matter how careful I am applying, most of the liquid drips down my check.

Honored Contributor

My daughter's inlaws live in Vegas, they both had to buy it last month, also paid $130.00

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your helpful answer.  We both had our flu shots in October--they only last 4-5 months.  Co-pay has kicked in.  

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Says right up front on the commercials that it's only effective if taken within 48 hrs of first symptoms, and that it shortens the symtoms by *1.5* days.

Very difficult to call a doctor, be seen and pick up a Rx within 48 hrs of first symptoms - after which time, according to the drug company's own literature, it's too late to work. For 1-1/2 days' worth of feeling *slightly* better.

Not worth it, to me. And the side effects include nausea, vomiting & diarrhea (just what one needs when having the flu), as well as nosebleeds, hallucinations, psychosis and suicidal thoughts.

These particular drugs (the flu treatments) seem to me to be highly advertised, expensive, and not worth the cost, either monetary or possible side effect-wise, for a lousy day and a half shortening of symptoms.

I have a friend that is a doctor and he has said don't waste your money on it.

I'd rather be sick the extra day and half than suffer from any of the side effects.

Honored Contributor

I was in line behind a guy buying Tamiflu last week. The clerk told him with his insurance the cost was $130.00. I never knew it was so expensive either. I paid $175.00 recently for Doxycycline antibotic. I do have insurance that helps the cost the entire year.  I hope your DH is feeling better soon. 

Honored Contributor

I attended a medical class very recently and the RN who was talking said the flu is just arriving here in my area. She encouraged those who have not had the flu shot yet to get one. We also got our flu shots in October. I hope we are still covered.