Honored Contributor

Sticker codes on fruit decoded

I came across this tidbit of information today.  It's not new, but was new to me.  I'm not posting a link because a quick Google search will give you a lot of sites that repeat the same info.

1. A four-digit code beginning with a 3 or a 4 means the produce is probably conventionally grown. The last four letters of the code represent the kind of the fruit or vegetable you are buying. For example, bananas are always labeled with the code of 4011.

2. If there are five numbers, and the first is “8″, then the product is genetically modified. The label on genetically modified banana (GE-genetically engineered of GMO) would contain the numbers 84011.

3. A five-digit number that starts with a 9 means the item is organic. Organic bananas are labeled with 94011.
[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sticker codes on fruit decoded

Why I shop at the Farmer's Market.

Dude in the straw hat and overalls doesn't have stickers on anything. 

Honored Contributor

I read somewhere not long ago that the stickers are edible.

No, thanks, I'll pass.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

We don't have Farmer's Market all year round so have to buy stickered stuff sometimes.

Trusted Contributor

I live directly across the street from an indoor farmer’s market.  I am spoiled. 

Honored Contributor

I can never remember what it means while at the store.

Honored Contributor

Good to know!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

I came across this tidbit of information today.  It's not new, but was new to me.  I'm not posting a link because a quick Google search will give you a lot of sites that repeat the same info.

1. A four-digit code beginning with a 3 or a 4 means the produce is probably conventionally grown. The last four letters of the code represent the kind of the fruit or vegetable you are buying. For example, bananas are always labeled with the code of 4011.

2. If there are five numbers, and the first is “8″, then the product is genetically modified. The label on genetically modified banana (GE-genetically engineered of GMO) would contain the numbers 84011.

3. A five-digit number that starts with a 9 means the item is organic. Organic bananas are labeled with 94011.

@GingerPeach  How interesting! Thanks for sharing🙂

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@Snowpuppy wrote:

We don't have Farmer's Market all year round so have to buy stickered stuff sometimes.

I try to freeze as much as I can when I find it at a good price. Still have blueberries and sweet corn on the ear from last season I need to use up.

Not the same consistency for sure but frozen strawberries in a smoothie in January are terrific!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

Just because he's a farmer and not a market doesn't mean he uses convential growing methods.