Honored Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I have a very small shower in my bathroom.  No tub.  The shower is approx 32" square.  I need some kind of grab bar.  The walls seem to be a fiberglass or plastic so am not sure a bar could be drilled through.  Does anyone know if those suction cup bars actually work?  It would be needed for light support not to bear my weight.  I know I need to remodel but cant right now.  

@lilypadfrog 

Do you want it primarily for balance ....   or to avoid slipping?

A couple short term ideas .....  For balance, i've seen a jump rope hung over the door frame used to be there for grabbing, placed inside the door, but you must grab both ends ... or tie them together.

If you are afraid of slipping, something non-slip on the floor of the shower might work, such as a hand towel or those abrasive stick 'em flowers that give you traction.  

I agree you should have the grab bar professionally installed, but this might help until you have that done.

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog Do not trust a stick on suction bar for your safety.  I had a friend that fell and broke her arm getting out of the shower using one.  Needless to say, her husband told everyone that she fell learning to ski in the shower.

Honored Contributor

@sunsetbeach wrote:

I wanted something to steady me when I stepped into my fiberglass tub/shower.  I bought the Moen LR2308W Home Care 12" Suction Balance Assist Bathroom Safety Hand Grip, 1-Bar, Glacier from Amazon.  It's $14.98 currently and it works beautifully.  I wouldn't use it to pull myself up, but to hold onto to step into the tub and to hold onto when I wash my legs and stand on one leg, its great. In order for it to stay, the walls have to be clean and they should be a flat surface, I initially had it in one spot that had a slight curve and it wouldn't stick.  I've had it for several months with no problem at all. 

@sunsetbeach. I have to disagree with your assessment.  If you slip or lose your balance and grab for a suction bar, you're going to fall.  Period.  Better to have a real grab bar professionally installed rather than to depend on something to "steady" you, when you may need something to support you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment