Super Contributor

I guess I need to get a few bids on installing the real grab bars, maybe even remodeling the shower.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Shower grab bar

[ Edited ]

@lilypadfrog,

Support bars MUST be anchored into a wall stud to provide the stability we are looking for in the tub or shower.   They are not properly installed otherwise.   Suction cups are not capable of being a safety measure.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@lilypadfrog,

Support bars MUST be anchored into a wall stud to provide the stability we are looking for in the tub or shower.   They are not properly installed otherwise.   Suction cups are not capable of being a safety measure.

Not necessarily into a stud, but into something solid. When I redid our bathroom I knew where I wanted grab bars and added blocking between the studs to provide a solid mounting surface. Studs are an inch and a half wide and the mounting screws are often farther apart than that. That typically means only one screw can be in a stud. By putting solid blocking between the studs where a bar is to go you can make the bars incredibly solid and stable. I'm not a big fan of hollow wall anchors for grab bars. If you're going to add blocking, it's typically easier to do it from the room adjacent to the bathroom where it's a simple drywall repair rather than dealing with tiles or bathroom wall surfaces.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

We had grab bars professionally installed in both our bathrooms.  One of the best things we have ever done.  Personally, I do not trust anything suction.  Never seems to hold securely.

I agree too many things could go wrong.

Respected Contributor

@lilypadfrog wrote:

I guess I need to get a few bids on installing the real grab bars, maybe even remodeling the shower.  

Have the installer pick out the bar.  They will know how far apart the studs are thus directing you to the proper bar.  The stud spread will often differ between interior walls and exterior walls and local building codes.

After the bar(s) are installed they will seal around the plates so it will be water tight.

Honored Contributor

I agree to say, get it done professionally.  It would be worth the time and money for your safety.  

Super Contributor

We recently installed 2 bars in our bathtub - one on the short side (placed on a diagonal) where the knobs and shower are and one on the long side (placed horizontally).  

We thought we wanted longer bars, but the installer explained to us that people who get longer bars often complain about banging into them while showering.  The bar section of our bars are each 12".

Valued Contributor

I wanted something to steady me when I stepped into my fiberglass tub/shower.  I bought the Moen LR2308W Home Care 12" Suction Balance Assist Bathroom Safety Hand Grip, 1-Bar, Glacier from Amazon.  It's $14.98 currently and it works beautifully.  I wouldn't use it to pull myself up, but to hold onto to step into the tub and to hold onto when I wash my legs and stand on one leg, its great. In order for it to stay, the walls have to be clean and they should be a flat surface, I initially had it in one spot that had a slight curve and it wouldn't stick.  I've had it for several months with no problem at all. 

Honored Contributor

We just recently had our bathrooms renovated and added brushed nickel grab bars on either side of the tub/shower. Our contractor explained how he anchored them into the wood beams, so I feel very confident that they are safe for my husband who has balance issues.

Until this reno, we had the suction type.  They worked well for balance but most definitely NOT stable enough to support an adult person's weight.  Every once in a while they would pop free of the wall on one side, rendering them pretty much useless.

If you need them to support your weight or if you THINK you might in the future, I urge you to have permanent ones installed by a professional.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Good information everyone.  Thank you so much!