Valued Contributor

Re: Shoulder or upper arm area

I just had major shoulder surgery and went the conservative route for a long time. I had to have a tendon repaired and I still have two little tears in other tendons. I had to have some bone spurs removed. Because I had been suffering in almost agony for 7 months before surgery, that surgery just about knocked me over. I am still recovering, it is at least a 12 week recovery. The PT actually said it is 12 weeks no lifing recovery and then 12 weeks rehabilitation of the muscle surgery. So my advice to you is do not wait till May. Sounds like it has already been a couple of months. Get yourself to an orthopedist that will do an MRI and see what exactly is wrong. 

I was first diagnosed with bursitis by my PCP. Yes, there is/was bursitis but that was not the entire issue. Then I was diagnosed as arthritis by the sports medicine doc and finally got an MRI with the shoulder surgeon and we found all the little tears. Both of the first two docs were not "wrong" but they were not right either. Surgeon did a clean up surgery and stitched back togethe the worst torn tendon and boy oh boy. I reached funny twice last night and it hurts bad today. Had two good days on the weekend. 

Your PCP can order an MRI which will show the actual tissue damage if any. A CT will show bone damage. I had both. 

Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

About mid Jan., I was putting some binders (full) on an upper shelf, and later it started hurting.  Decided to let nature take it's course and repair itself.  I'm taking Ibprofen, helps, but it's in the arm that broke in 2018.  So maybe its arthritis or one of those setting in. ?? In May, I'll see my doctor and if it hasn't gotten better, I'll tell him.

No idea what a rotator cuff injury would be. I thought I'd pulled a muscle, thus, let it heal over time. I can lift it straight up, but it hurts at night sometimes.  The pain has woke me up to change positions.

I'm curious if others think it arthritis, a r.c. injury, or ???  I know I'm not talking to doc's here, but just wonder if it sounds familiar to anyone else.  

Just curious.  No need to mention go see your doc., since I've got an appt. I just want to know if someone else had this.

It might be frozen shoulder.  I have a mild case in my left shoulder and can't twist that arm behind my back to hook my bra on.  I have to  hook it on in the front of my chest and then move my bra it to the correct position, although oddly I can still remove it from behind my back.  It's also difficult to wash my back, so I use a long handle back scrub brush to wash it.  I had a cortisone injection which didn't help and I declined going to physical therapy, because my experience has been that it makes it worse, so like you, I'm just letting my body heal on it's own, plus it's a mild case and doesn't bother me except for what I said above.  I have no idea what caused it, it just showed up one day and my doctor said it's most likely from misuse.  My Dad, on the other hand had a severe case and couldn't lift his arm up at all, that's mostly because he waited too long to go to the doctor, so he had no choice but to go to physical therapy, which completely healed it and he no longer has a problem.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal --google rotator cuff to find it on the shoulder. I have issues with that myself--went to see a shoulder dr , had MRI and there was no tears/arthritis, thank heavens, --just tendonitis--hurts like the devil tho--tried p/t but that aggrivated it so much it took 3 days for it to calm down. Mine hurts doing lateral movements like wiping down the counter tops and that type of movement. Dr said I could get a steroid shot or even an injection that uses your own blood--not stem cell but blood plasma,I think. right now I am using voltaren gel on it. Dang that stuff works great. there are generic versions too that are less $$. Not ruling out the injections tho----

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi again,  @qualitygal ....I wanted to add that I was told by a therapist that used to work on lots of golfers at Arnie Palmers golf course, that bursitis, tendonitis, etc. were all connected to my shoulder pain. Keeping up my exercises is key.   I also showed a small amount of arthritis in one shoulder and that has greatly improved, too.

Honored Contributor

Many thanks to all of you and I will heed your advice.  You know I've been to PT for stuff twice now, this would be a third!!  So embarrassed.  We'll see.

Found Bob and Brad and will watch my posture too and not overwork the arm.  My 70's are turning out to be quite the health challanges.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

I could go through a list of "might be's" when it comes to any joint issue, including a shoulder. Yes, I have had a shoulder separated, and also a twice torn Rotator Cuff.  Currently I have a slightly tore Right Rotator Cuff.

I am doing in home therapy and hoping it helps. If not, I will see about getting a Cortisone Shot from 1 of my 2 Orthopedic friends. Throw in the many, what in hockey, we call stingers? That is just a few of the "might be's" on my list.

Since you are not able to see your doctor for 6-7 weeks? Who knows, the pain just might be gone in the interim. In my view however, the absence of pain does not always mean that it's source has been eliminated.

If you are able to take OTC meds that help, that's a good thing. Some of the things you mention like a previously broken arm, arthritis? To me it's a "might be"! Only the proper tests during your May doctors visit can give you your answer. Everything else is speculation.

I know you asked just to see if others had this. Pain, especially in joints, can be exactly the same, but for completely different reasons.  With luck, I hope you find something to at least minimize your pain, until May when you see your doctor.

hckynut   🇺🇸   🇺🇦

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

OK, the pain today, drove me to call my doc.  I got in, no problem.  I will try the exercises he gave me, instead of going to PT right now.  If I am not able to resolve it (4 muscles in that area, are inflamed) he said. He tested my movement and pain, or lack of pain, and that's what he determined.  I'd rather work on it here, after all, I can go to regular appts. if I feel it's necessary.

I just really want to be able to get better sleep and of course, have the pain gone.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal 

I know you mentioned you take Ibuprofen for the pain. Did your doctor suggest a more therapeutic dose for a short period of time, or maybe try Naproxen(Aleve)? 

Many time before I was on blood thinners, my doctors prescribed higher dosages, when my injuries were caused by inflamed muscle, or muscle groups. This was in conjunction with doing an assortment of different exercises.

The 3 major muscle groups of the Deltoid are the following: Anterior(front)/Lateral(side), and the Posterior(rear). There are however 4 that surround the Rotator Cuff. 

The Rotator Cuff exercises I have done/am doing, are different than those I do to strengthen my 3 Deltoid muscles. With a torn Rotator Cuff, those Deltoid muscle exercises, would do more harm than good.

Glad you didn't have to wait till May and you say you "can go to regular appts. if you feel it's necessary". Don't quite get the "can't get an appointment till May", and you got in on March 8th, and now can get them when you feel they are necessary. Never had a doctor tell me, say till June, and then I get an appointment in April! Strange one to me.

Anyways, am glad you got in and now know the cause of your pain. Inflammations can be slow healing, but you are not dealing with "weight bearing inflammation" which take a whole lot longer.Trust me I have been there too many times.

hckynut    🇺🇸  🇺🇦

hckynut(john)
Contributor

I am your age. Same symptoms,had X-ray done showed arthritis. Continued pain & MRI done & diagnosed with frozen shoulder. Dr. ordered prescription Diclofenac. ( strong version of Ibuprofen) it really helped. Went to physical therapy for awhile then did home exercises.The physical therapist used roll on Biofreeze on me( from drugstore) & I continued that,it really helped with the pain & finally got to the place where didn't need the oral medication. Couldn't sleep at night due to pain & that is when the biofreeze really helped. Also had the cortisone & that didn't do much. Pain lasted about 6 months & now none. Hope you feel better soon.