Honored Contributor

Memory ... Sometimes I Worry Myself

Over this.  Lately I've had things in my hands (today it was something I picked up off our printer) and set it down and totally forget what I did with it.  I could not, after searching 30 minutes, find where I put my printed documents down.  So i reprinted it again, and went it got it.  An hour later I walked to the sink and there, sitting on top of the dish drainer, were my printed documents.  I feel like I'm losing my mind recently.  I've been doing this a lot.  The other day I was driving to our local grocery store 20 minutes away and totally forgot where what the correct entrance was went into the wrong shopping center, had to turn around and go back to the correct entrance.  

Hope it's not the dreaded "A" condition.  My father had this and well it was plain awful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Memory ... Sometimes I Worry Myself

I hope you're okay too @rms1954 .  We all have memory lapses as we age, but if you're worried about your condition, you should discuss your concerns with your doctor.  I can sit in one spot, never moving, and can lose something.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

Over this.  Lately I've had things in my hands (today it was something I picked up off our printer) and set it down and totally forget what I did with it.  I could not, after searching 30 minutes, find where I put my printed documents down.  So i reprinted it again, and went it got it.  An hour later I walked to the sink and there, sitting on top of the dish drainer, were my printed documents.  I feel like I'm losing my mind recently.  I've been doing this a lot.  The other day I was driving to our local grocery store 20 minutes away and totally forgot where what the correct entrance was went into the wrong shopping center, had to turn around and go back to the correct entrance.  

Hope it's not the dreaded "A" condition.  My father had this and well it was plain awful.

@rms1954  Talk to your doctor. There are tests  for memory they give to you to see what is going on....

Respected Contributor

Yep, been there and done all of that.  My only salvation is I have young grandsons who will run up to tell me something, and I can tell by the look on their face they forgotten what they were going to say, L O L.

I suspect my memory is not as good as it used to be, so I write things down and make a note here and there if I absolutely positively can't forget. Usually what happens is you simply get distracted doing something else.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 

I am beginning to notice the start of a pattern with your health related posts, and believe once you get a diagnosis with your most troubling issues, hopefully everything else will go back to normal.   I do sincerely wish you well.   

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you have much going on, also depression can cause this, but under the fact your dad memory loss ,good idea to get it checked out.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

This often happens when we are not concentrating on what we are doing...usually thinking about something else.

Alzheimer's patients wouldn't even remember they printed anything out.  It would never occur to them to look for it.  They wouldn't realize they went into the wrong grocery store entrance. 

From your description of events, it sounds like you are in deep thought about something.  Are you worried about something in your life?  Getting enough sleep?  Tired?

For peace of mind, next time you have a doctor's appt, ask for a mini-mental test.  You can take it online, too, but can't cheat.  

Honored Contributor

I had a friend years ago that decided she'd had enough of going to another room and then forgetting why she had gone there.  So, during her walk from one room to the other she would repeat the reason ...  "scissors, scissors, scissors ... "  

Personally I forget mundane things, but right now and every week I can tell you how much paper towels are on sale for at every single store I might buy them at.  It's a temporary memory, since the prices will be different next week, but I easily hold on to the information, short term. 

Honestly, I have no idea what that might actually mean ....   Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 By all means, go talk to your doctor, but hopefully it is nothing serious.  I too forget where I put things.  And the other day my mind was wondering and I missed the turn to my office.

There is a lot going on in the world that we are all worried about.  I think our brains can  only handle so much stress, and we lose focus.  It is hard enough to shoulder what is going on in the world, but to add personal problems on top of that is a bit much - too much for me anyway.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I lose/misplace stuff a lot ,too, and say a prayer to St. Anthony, the finder of lost things. Sometimes, if it was a snake, it would have bit me. But, if you think you need to be checked out, please do,just so you feel better about it, since you have a family history.