Honored Contributor

About mid Jan., I was putting some binders (full) on an upper shelf, and later it started hurting.  Decided to let nature take it's course and repair itself.  I'm taking Ibprofen, helps, but it's in the arm that broke in 2018.  So maybe its arthritis or one of those setting in. ?? In May, I'll see my doctor and if it hasn't gotten better, I'll tell him.

No idea what a rotator cuff injury would be. I thought I'd pulled a muscle, thus, let it heal over time. I can lift it straight up, but it hurts at night sometimes.  The pain has woke me up to change positions.

I'm curious if others think it arthritis, a r.c. injury, or ???  I know I'm not talking to doc's here, but just wonder if it sounds familiar to anyone else.  

Just curious.  No need to mention go see your doc., since I've got an appt. I just want to know if someone else had this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Shoulder or upper arm area

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've had bursitis in my shoulder-can be from re-injuring an injury or a first injury that can hurt like h! If it really really hurts it might be that.It is a lot of inflammation which hurts! I don't think arthritis hurts as much.

The only thing that made it go away was being super careful and not reaching up or in aggravating positions for awhile-I think a few months. It's good you are going to the dr and hopefully they can diagnose without putting you thru a thousand tests!

Hope you feel better fast.

It will really make you appreciate it not hurting when it stops! I know that seems simplistic but I've found it to be so true.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Contributor

Hello,

It's great you are seeing your doctor. I suffer from chronic pain due to fibromyalgia and hip bursitis. I use the over the counter, Voltaren. It is a non steroidal pain cream. It has no scent. It works wonders. I use it on my feet, shoulders, and hips. Ask your doctor about this. 

Esteemed Contributor

When DS injured his shoulder landscaping he booked an appt to see an MD in a physical therapy clinic. A few movement tests, nope. Nothing structurally wrong so off to 12 weeks of PT.

Worked wonders but it does act up from time to time so he repeats his PT instructions at home.

Do a search for Bob and Brad, physical therapists on YT. Millions of subscribers. Trained & experienced. They might have some suggestions for temporary relief.

Respected Contributor

I had a torn rotator cuff and the pain was in my bicep ...not the shoulder ....

Very painful ....

Honored Contributor

I'm dealing with bicep pain. I can do anything except hook my bra in the back or cross my arms. Most likely, I did something when cleaning the basement and hauling stuff upstairs to donate to charity. It's been 3 weeks but hurts like h*** if I do the wrong thing.

Respected Contributor

Oh I know the pain you are talking about ... I would stand and just cry ..

It was like a throbby tooth ache right around my bicep ...

On a positive note ... I had surgery and it turned out great ...

Can do everything .. and no pain ...

Good luck ....

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal  If it is upper arm...somewhere around there...sometimes it is hard to pinpoint....

My upper arm (back of arm...or somewhere!) got strained when we moved 3 years ago. I knew I was lifting/carrying way too heavy.

I do not do aspirin, Tylenol or such. I, too was waiting for it to work itself out, but in the course of shoveling snow, etc., it was not resolving. Finally, I started rubbing arnica on the area every night. In the course of a couple months, everything relaxed to where it finally was not hurting.

If a muscle injury, I can attest to arnica. But it is using it diligently - even if over the general area.

Unless you heard something pop, it might be a muscle strain.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal This could be so many different things. It may or may not be rotator cuff but until I knew for sure I would be very careful.  I just came through months of physical therapy on both arms and shoulders. My problem was inpingements and the therapy has helped me greatly. In fact, many don't get help soon enough and have to have surgery because of it. 

Constant rubbing and pressure can further injure the rotator cuff.Things like just impingement and other things can lead to a full rotator cuff tear. I would want to avoid that at all costs if I could....and I did! When my first and second shot did not work for more than 2 weeks my orthopedic Dr. sent me to physical therapy. I'm so glad I went!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy  Good idea, I know who they are, I will see if they too can help.  Thanks.

I am thinking maybe Bursitis as someone mentioned.