Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Trinity11   I hope you can get some Valtrex, sold as a prescription drug. That drug was a lifesaver for me when I had shingles.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Thanks @Carmie . I am taking an antiviral which is in the same class of drugs as Valtrex. Also a cream...Acyclivor. I sure hope this doesn't scar, though. I need to stop reading websites with the worse case scenario.

I am glad that you recovered and did well.

Honored Contributor

I hope you feel better quickly, @Trinity11.  I know the pain can be excruciating.  

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@Trinity11   I hope you can get some Valtrex, sold as a prescription drug. That drug was a lifesaver for me when I had shingles.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Thanks @Carmie . I am taking an antiviral which is in the same class of drugs as Valtrex. Also a cream...Acyclivor. I sure hope this doesn't scar, though. I need to stop reading websites with the worse case scenario.

I am glad that you recovered and did well.

@Trinity11 , 

I have a good friend that had shingles  around her eye, and forehead several years ago. She took the medication you are taking, and although it was quite painful there are no effects now. No scars or pain. 

My best to you. I believe you will be fine. 

Trusted Contributor

@lovemyparrot wrote:

I had shingles maybe 15 years ago.  I took all the prescribed medications.  It didn't look too bad but, it was very painful - around my waist on the left side and across my stomach also on the left. It took months to clear up mostly.  But, to this day, I have a scar and an itchy, numb place on my stomach that, I have been told, will nevr go away.
Several years later, I had the original shingles shot but haven't had the newer one yet.  I know I should, but everyone says the second shot is quite painful and I am a bit chicken.  I know from experience that it can't be as bad as getting shingles agin.

So, OP, you have all my sympathy - but when the doctor says it will all clear up in 2 weeks, I wouldn't be so sure.

Actually my first shot was more painful than the second one.  No matter, I would rather put up with the discomfort of the shots than have a shingles breakout!

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Google:   L Lysine        It is not a cure, but  can help alleviate the rash

It can also help if you get cold sores.

Frequent Contributor

Oh I am so sorry you are going through this. 

For ones who suspect you may have shingles, try to get to the doctor and get on anti-viral meds as soon you possibly can.  I woke up one morning with a mild case, looked like a few chicken pox spots, went right to an urgent care clinic, and got on anti-viral meds quickly and my shingles did not get worse.  Don't know for sure that the anti-virals were the reason, but perhaps getting on the meds so quickly helped keep it from becoming a worse case.  

Janet in Georgia
Respected Contributor

I got the 2 Shingrix shots.  To find out who had them I went to the Shingrix site on the web.  Then I confirmed the drug store had them.

Both my husband and I were sick for 3 days each for each shot.  Not too bad, but stayed in bed.

Respected Contributor

I had both shots and other than a sore arm and a little tired I was fine.  Guess I'm lucky.

Honored Contributor

I'm just getting over shingles now. Mine started the last week in April. The first day I just had a mild soreness in my right shoulder. Day two the only symptom was a sore throat. On day three it was more of the feeling of a toothache on the right side of my jaw. Day four the first blisters appeared on the front of the right shoulder and I thought it might be poison ivy or something. The blistering started to spread though and I then figured out it was shingles. The antivirals are only really effective if started in 72 hours and it was well over 96 hours by the time I figured out what was going on. 

I found the hairdryer to be pretty comforting to mine. Blowing warm air on them really seemed to make them feel better and since I was feverish, adding more heat to the area seemed like a good idea. There were two really bad days about a week in where the blistering under the chin was especially bad. Since I couldn't shave I also had the sharp little whiskers rubbing against the blisters. Once I got past those two days though it's been pretty manageable. Mine started at the front of the right shoulder, went to the throat/chin area, then up the right side of the face and around behind the right ear up onto the scalp.

It's pretty much gone now. It's not fun to deal with at its peak, but the peak only lasts for a few days and if it's someplace where you don't have things like whiskers rubbing against it, it probably isn't as bad. For anyone who hasn't gotten the vaccine, I'd highly recommend getting it. Shingles won't kill you, but it can make you pretty miserable for quite a while. Mine's probably 98% of the way gone now. The blistering is long gone, the scabs are largely gone, there's just a feeling of tightness in the scalp where it was, like the skin is being stretched a bit too much, but even that's pretty minimal. 

One of the things I was reluctant to try but did ultimately find comforting was capsaicin cream. The idea of putting capsaicin cream on open, raw, oozing blisters was not something I would have thought of on my own, but multiple websites recommended it. Kudos to the first person desperate enough to try it. I've gotten capsaicin cream in a cut before and it wasn't pleasant, so the idea of putting it on raw blistered skin wasn't something I'd have thought of on my own. Even with multiple sites recommending it, I still put the smallest dab possible on a finger and barely touched a blistered area with it, while keeping a wet soapy washcloth handy in case it burned too much. It felt fine though and did seem to ease the discomfort. Ice also helped a bit, but I found the hairdryer the most comforting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Glad to read @gardenman , you are feeling better. I am on the anti viral but it spread from the forehead to my scalp and eyelid. Hopefully, in a month most of it will resolve...oh and thanks for the suggestion of using the hairdryer for some relief.