Honored Contributor

Google:   L Lysine        It is not a cure, but  can help alleviate the rash

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@gellergrl wrote:

I have had a horrible time with my episode of the Shingles. I had a pretty mild case but it has left me with a problem that has no cure. My outbrake was on my upper right arm and after a solid year I still have a problem that is called post therapetic neuralgia. The shingles virus goes down deep to the nerve endings and  completely causes the nerve ending to be severely severed and very painful. There is no cure for this and my doctor has told me that about 10% out of 100 people ends up with this problem after having the shingles virus.I was one of the lucky people.(ugh) I can still use my arm but I constantly have a lot of pain in my arm. I have to take medication for the pain most days. So the shingles causes a number of problems so please get your vaccines. There are two shots you have to get. After I got over the shingles my husband and I walked into Walmart early one morning and got the first shot with no problem. When it was time to get the second...they call us on the phone to come to the store. No problem. So run don't walk. Please get your shots. Don't end up like me.

I am sorry that you are suffering from the after effects. I already have neuropathy from Type 1 diabetes, so I am very afraid that this pain will be difficult to resolve. You are so right @gellergrl about the importance of getting the vaccine. I really wish I had.

Regular Contributor

OMG...Trinity11 I was just diagnosed last week with shingles, also! Have never had them before in my life! At first thought I was eaten alive by chiggers because just before getting the shingles we were out in our backyard one weekend doing a bonfire.

Anyway, mine is located on right side starting at my belly button along waistline and around up the spine. After reading about them on the Internet feel as though have just about all the symptoms. Before the breakouts, region on stomach was numb, tingling and sensitive to just touch whole right side, very fatigued, and very achy, as if a kidney infection or something. Right now am very sore and feels as though someone kick boxed my lower back and also stabbing pins into the underside of my skin. By the time I went to the doctor the shingles were too far along for them to prescribe an antiviral drug, so instead was just given some kind of cream to rub on the affected area. (triamcinolone cream) Also, you have to wait until the shingles go away before getting the vaccine.

Anyway, I feel so bad for you that they are near the eye area. Please be careful, try not to touch or itch the area and if you do wash hands often. Keep up those antobiotics and get well soon.Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@lovemyparrot wrote:

I had shingles maybe 15 years ago.  I took all the prescribed medications.  It didn't look too bad but, it was very painful - around my waist on the left side and across my stomach also on the left. It took months to clear up mostly.  But, to this day, I have a scar and an itchy, numb place on my stomach that, I have been told, will nevr go away.
Several years later, I had the original shingles shot but haven't had the newer one yet.  I know I should, but everyone says the second shot is quite painful and I am a bit chicken.  I know from experience that it can't be as bad as getting shingles agin.

So, OP, you have all my sympathy - but when the doctor says it will all clear up in 2 weeks, I wouldn't be so sure.

@lovemyparrot I had no issues from the first of the series of shingles shots.  The second one was the beginning of March.  For the next two days I felt like I had a stomach virus.....threw up, headache, very sore arm.  I was miserable for two days....but I thought it was better than suffering indefinitely with shingles.  I'm glad I got the shots.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11   My doctor put me on Valtrex right away and I had a very mild case. 

Honored Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

@Trinity11   My doctor put me on Valtrex right away and I had a very mild case. 

Thank you @simplyfriends that's encouraging.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 I hope the doctor now has you on an anti-viral med (such as acyclovir) and a pain-relieving ointment.  A shingles outbreak is often the result of stress or a compromised immune system (I had a severe case during chemotherapy).  Try to eat and rest well, get some mild exercise, and relax.  It will go away, but can take several weeks.  Hang in there...

Honored Contributor

@vsm wrote:

@Trinity11 I hope the doctor now has you on an anti-viral med (such as acyclovir) and a pain-relieving ointment.  A shingles outbreak is often the result of stress or a compromised immune system (I had a severe case during chemotherapy).  Try to eat and rest well, get some mild exercise, and relax.  It will go away, but can take several weeks.  Hang in there...

Thank you @vsm . I just started the acyclovir this afternoon with the acyclovir ointment. I am still in a lot of pain this evening, though. I think it will take time to heal but I am hopeful that I caught it in time.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@vsm wrote:

Thank you @vsm . I just started the acyclovir this afternoon with the acyclovir ointment. I am still in a lot of pain this evening, though. I think it will take time to heal but I am hopeful that I caught it in time.

Glad to hear you've started treatment, @Trinity11 -- you're on your way!  The pain is hard to endure but it will ease into sensitivity.  Fingers crossed that this happens soon.  Hope you can get a good night's sleep.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11   I hope you can get some Valtrex, sold as a prescription drug. That drug was a lifesaver for me when I had shingles.

Wishing you a quick recovery.