Honored Contributor

Re: Sciatic Nerve pain.... let it go too long.... Holy Carp!

UGH...........I just deal with the pain.   The other leg is loaded with stainless plate, nuts and bolts, from a bad accident.   I'm not taking any chances with surgery.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I truly hope this helps. Years ago I 

hurt my back really bad lifting a little girl at church. My hubby had to take me to instant care. The Dr. told me I had severely pulled a muscle in my back causing sciatica. Sent me home with pain pills. Well hubby told me I had to go to a Cyropractor. I wasn't getting better so I went.Long story short it worked. To ease out the nerve use ice to reduce swelling on the back where the pain starts from. Then lay on your bed or flat surface, leave left leg straight. Bend your knee and raise your right leg to your chest Count to 10. Next change to left leg, count to 10. Do this 3 times on each leg morning and night. Don't forget to use ice. Even now when I feel a twinge, I'll do this at night in bed before I go to sleep. No more problems.
Trusted Contributor

@Q4u - I think you should get an MRI to see if a cause can be pinpointed.

I had sciatic pain due to scar tissue pressing on the nerve. At first inbuprofen helped but pain got to an excruciating point; I couldn't even skate anymore.

First it was physical therapy. Then they tried the cortisone injection. That worked for about 2 weeks, then the pain came back. Finally had surgery to remove the scar tissue. That did it!

BTW, the back surgeon speculated that when I was a teen and did gymnastics, I may have taken a fall that cause a hairline fracture in the vertebrae. You don't feel it when you're young but over the years the scar tissue builds up against the nerve. Then one day. . .

Respected Contributor

I had it for a while .... bulging and herniated discs. I tried OTC meds, chiropracter and physical therapy. Physical therapy (several visits) where they manipulate the spine helped the most. I was given a series of exercises to do regularly to strengthen and re-establish balance. I do them faithfully and have for at least a decade now. They work. When I do throw my back out, as I am prone to do occasionally now, I have a certain set that I engage in that eventually provide complete relief, usually under two weeks. During  one of my severe pain episodes, I found Celebrex to be very effective.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

UGH...........I just deal with the pain.   The other leg is loaded with stainless plate, nuts and bolts, from a bad accident.   I'm not taking any chances with surgery.

@Desertdi  That's what worries me.   I'm alone and have no one to fetch and carry for me.   What if I ended up in worse shape?   I'm okay until I stand too long,  which is 5-10 minutes.   Then I sit and my pain is relieved.   Okay I can't take long walks,  browse in stores or visit art galleries but otherwise lead a normal life. 

Your nuts and bolts must drive the TSA  crazy when you fly.  I had to have a pat down with just an artificial knee. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi  That's what worries me.   I'm alone and have no one to fetch and carry for me.   What if I ended up in worse shape?   I'm okay until I stand too long,  which is 5-10 minutes.   Then I sit and my pain is relieved.   Okay I can't take long walks,  browse in stores or visit art galleries but otherwise lead a normal life. 

Your nuts and bolts must drive the TSA  crazy when you fly.  I had to have a pat down with just an artificial knee. 

@Kachina624     I just had jury duty............the folks in line behind me scattered when I set off the magnetometer (!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Way to go @Desertdi .... Clearing out the courthouse. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624    PS:    I have 8 extension phones in a very small house.  I figure I can crawl to one of them in an emergency.    I do have a cell phone.......reception is a little better now that we have more towers in the area..........but we have NO regular TV here, and FM radio is "iffy".  di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had nerve entrapment that caused this and a neurosurgeon was able to Free the nerve path by getting rid of scar tissue that had built up over ten years. That is the best medical decision I've ever made and 5 years later I'm doing great. I never thought I'd live without constant debilitating, all-consuming pain. It takes over your existence. 

Nerve pain is very hard to treat, as you know.  Steroids did nothing for me 

My heart goes out to you to know you are suffering like this. It's horrible pain that is inhumane. 

I hope you find some relief soon. 

Respected Contributor

I had my first attack earlier this year, UGGHHHH the pain and numbness!!!

I was telling my dear friend who has a history of sciatic problems and she ran over with her Lo-bak trax contraption and I had 95%  relief immediately and 100% relief in a few days.  Color me shocked!!