Honored Contributor

I have already researched it on Google, saw photos of it, and printed out information.  I will be going to my PCP's office on Monday for my annual Medicare checkup and am going to ask if I can see my doc for just a few minutes to look at my leg.

My purpose here is to ask if any of you have experienced cellulitis and how you are doing since it was (hopefully) treated and resolved.

It's on the back of my ankle and started out as a small bruise which I looked at once and then forgot about, since I have bruises all the time.  However, it's been many weeks, if not several months since I looked at it.

I noticed in my sit-down shower yesterday that not only is it still there, but it has grown considerably, has specks in it, is sore when I press on it.  It's not really any specific color either, but a few round red spots with a bluish background, and is about an inch in diameter top to bottom and somewhat uneven.  It is certainly not healing.

Obviously I can wait until Monday when (hopefully) my PCP will take a minute or two to look at it.  If I tried to make an appointment, it would be weeks.

Sometimes someone here has had experience with a medical issue and can tell their story.  

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

A few years ago I noticed my right ear looked much bigger than my left. I had vague  symptoms..a fever and achy bones, headed to the doctors. It was cellulitis. I was given strong antibiotics to take orally for 3 weeks, and a shot. Within 2 days, the entire right side of my face, eye and ear was swollen beyond belief. I ended up in the emergency room and they gave me strong iv antibiotics plus an rx. It took almost a month for the swelling in my face and ear to go down, I lost hair and I have an eternal bag under my right eye from the swelling. Cellulitis is nothing to mess around with! I have not had any problems with it since then.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree I don't have any experience with that but I sure do hope that your doc takes a look and gives you some treatment.I wonder if you have circulation problems?

Honored Contributor

Good Morning.... @LilacTree. I would call an Uber and have them take you to an Emergi-Med/Urgent Care setting and have one of the physicians take a look at it. It can be quite dangerous because the infection can become systemic if you have a compromised immune system. I would not wait on it. My dad had to be hospitalized with it and he was there for a week getting intravenous antibiotics. It was from a very small cut on his leg that he had overlooked.

The great thing about the new emergency medical places that have popped up is that now you never have to wait to get something seen. The physicians I have seen have been great in diagnosing if I can't get in for a few days to see my doctor.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Valued Contributor

If it IS cellulitis, you need to go to the ER now. It can get out of hand rapidly....

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree: Please do not wait until Monday to be seen. Go to an Urgent Care facility TODAY. You need to have the problem properly diagnosed. If it is cellulitis you need to get on an antibiotic right away. Do not delay. another day!  I got cellulitis as a result of a bee sting. I waited and it became worse quickly! Cleared up for me on antibiotic with no lasting ill efects.

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree, I worked in medicine for 20 years plus my Mom had a pretty severe case last year. My recommendation is not to wait until Monday. Go to the ER ASAP. It is something that should not be left unattended for a period of time. Wishing you the best. Another thing is once you get this flare-ups can occur very easily. 

Honored Contributor

Oh my!  I will wake my daughter and get dressed.  I was looking up vasculitis as well, which skin lesions are very similar.  However, all the photos I looked at were obviously very advanced disease. 

Thank you everyone . . . I will keep you posted.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree nurse here, that's a very comman area to developers cellulitis. Is it fire red, swollen and feel hot to touch? Given your age and the circulation problems that come with age I would go to dr. Before Monday. Clot formation is dangerous  in lower leg and could dislodge and travel to heart or lung. Do not rub it. Warm wet compress until you see the doctor, again go today. Elevate your leg.

Super Contributor

Common clinical symptoms are red, warm to touch, may be hard, definite line of demarcation, spreading, perhaps a fever.  You must see a physician.  Most likely anitbiotics will be prescribed, and warm compresses over the area at least 4 times a day for a minimum of 20 minutes.  It needs to be treated as soon as possible.  

Hope you feel better.