Esteemed Contributor

The last couple of months, when I'm sleeping, I get terrible pain down my left leg. I went to the doctor yesterday and he said it was sciatica. He recommended I get a new mattress as my mattress is 16 yrs old. I never turned my mattress - so I had a friend do that for me --- and last night I still had the pain. Once I get out of bed, the pain goes away. Any suggestions? Would a new mattress help - and, if so, which type? What causes this? Thanks!!!!

Honored Contributor

Sciatica needs treatment, or a combination of treatments.

What else did your doctor recommend?

Back in the day, doctors regularly recommended a "backboard", which is a sheet of plywood between mattress & box spring along with anti inflammatories and/or therapy.

You need more than a mattress, get a 2nd opinion

@kivah

Honored Contributor

@kivah

"Would a new mattress help - and, if so, which type? What causes this?"

Why didn't you ask your doctor while in his office?

confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: My Sciatica

[ Edited ]

I have had sciatica since I was in my 30's.  There are many causes for this and mine is a herniated disk.  When it acts up, I get pain down my right leg into my foot.  I take Advil until it feels better. Advil helps with inflammation.  I had a MRI to diagnose my back pain.

Some people get physical therapy and others get injections.  

IMO, I don't think a new mattress will cure you.  If your mattress is in bad shape, replace it because it is time, but I wouldn't count on it to get rid of your pain.

i have found over the years that my sciatica acts up if I am in a half bent over position, like scrubbing a bath tub or putting things in a filing cabinet, So if I avoid doing things like this, my pain is gone.

i would suggest that you get your doctor to do tests to find out the reason you have sciatica, then follow through with whatever will help depending on the cause.

best of luck.,, I feel for you.

Respected Contributor

Your comment was worse than insulting.  It was profoundly unkind.  The poster is in pain.  May you never encounter such coldness when YOU are.

Respected Contributor

I bought a TENS Machine. Got a rx from my neurologist and my insurance paid for it. You can buy them on line for about $30.00 or a little more. Now when I get my Sciatica, I use the machine for 2-3 days and it is gone until the next time.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Respected Contributor

You need to see a neurologist and get an MRI. I had the same pain and was diagnosed with a herniated disc, for which I received 2 epidurals to reduce inflammation and began an 8-session course of physical therapy. That gave me life back.  There's hope for you -- seek help!

Respected Contributor

NOTE:  my comment was meant for Ms. iMac.

Super Contributor
Mine does not go away when I get out of bed.........It will hurt all the time. I head to my chiropractor and get him to do acupuncture on me a few times..........the sciatica is the largest nerve........Be careful taking so much anti-inflammatory medicine.
Honored Contributor

Re: My Sciatica

[ Edited ]

@kivah

I would be more concerned about the location source of sciatica than I would my mattress. Not saying a mattress cannot contribute to a sciatic nerve problem, but the cause of the onset of it is seldom a mattress.

Has your doctor set up a possible MRI, or have you already had one? My personal experience with sciatica may have been aggravated by my source of sleep, but if was far from the cause of it. That was work and my choice of sports activities that were the cause of my pain.

My source was found via a Myelogram, many years ago, and it was from ruptured spinal discs L/5 and S/1. Back then it was 3 weeks in the hospital, 2 of which were trying the then available therapy. Open surgery was my solution.

For me it is certainly a pain that I can relate to on a personal level, and since the Sciatic Nerve is the biggest one in the human body, it is easier to understand by those that have not experienced this pain.

There are many things I could suggest, but that is best left to your doctor, and perhaps a doctor who's specialty is the Spine.

I hope you can find some relief from this level of pain. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)