Honored Contributor

Re: Sciatic Nerve pain.... let it go too long.... Holy Carp!

@tends2dogs wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

In addition to cold packs (love those blue square things they put in lunch packs), I was blessed to speak to a physical therapist at a cookout who told me about an exercise.  It works like a charm!

@ECBG  So what is the exercise?

@tends2dogs, When I pick up something too heavy, my pain is across my back waist and/or at the underware line of my left leg.  

The exercise for that location is:

Sitting erect use both hands to pull the right knee across the body to touch the left shoulder and hold for three minutes.  This has to be done four times.  Follow up with at least 15 minutes of ice for the inflamation.

I don't find it as hard as it might be for others because I've always been very limber.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

In addition to cold packs (love those blue square things they put in lunch packs), I was blessed to speak to a physical therapist at a cookout who told me about an exercise.  It works like a charm!

@tends2dogs, When I pick up something too heavy, my pain is across my back waist and/or at the underware line of my left leg.  

The exercise for that location is:

Sitting erect use both hands to pull the right knee across the body to touch the left shoulder and hold for three minutes.  This has to be done four times.  Follow up with at least 15 minutes of ice for the inflamation.

I don't find it as hard as it might be for others because I've always been very limber.

Thanks, @ECBG!  I have done a variation of that, only laying on the floor.  It helps a lot when I have strained my back.  I will try the chair version.  TA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tends2dogs

There is NO 1 EXERCISE that works for everyone. This exercise might work for @ECBG, but just reading how she describes it makes my back hurt.

I am very flexible in most all of my muscle groups, along with their respective connective tissues. Sitting erect(which to me is straight up) and somehow touching my right knee to my left shoulder? Ain't gonna happen with me.

Many movements a person can do can help temporarily relieve back pain, if it is a muscle issue. For safe guarding the spine from injury(yes, even tight muscles), require regular exercises to add flexibility to ALL rear side muscles. I am talking every single group from the calf muscles up to and including the upper back and shoulders.  AND-----

Exercises that strengthen all the abdominal muscles(core muscles including the oblique muscles. Any Sports Medicine Certified Physical Therapist will tell you this. Strong Abdominal Muscles and Flexible Rear Muscles are imperative for helping prevent serious back and spinal issues. All done on a regular basis.

Even with 3 removed ruptured Spinal Discs, I seldom have even a backache, much less one that limits my movement/mobility or flexibility. Hey, if you find something that relieves your back pain? Go for it. I am only explaining to you what it takes to reduce your chances of having serious back issue, assuming you have no back or Spinal abnormalities at this time.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tends2dogs

There is NO 1 EXERCISE that works for everyone. This exercise might work for @ECBG, but just reading how she describes it makes my back hurt.

I am very flexible in most all of my muscle groups, along with their respective connective tissues. Sitting erect(which to me is straight up) and somehow touching my right knee to my left shoulder? Ain't gonna happen with me.

Many movements a person can do can help temporarily relieve back pain, if it is a muscle issue. For safe guarding the spine from injury(yes, even tight muscles), require regular exercises to add flexibility to ALL rear side muscles. I am talking every single group from the calf muscles up to and including the upper back and shoulders.  AND-----

Exercises that strengthen all the abdominal muscles(core muscles including the oblique muscles. Any Sports Medicine Certified Physical Therapist will tell you this. Strong Abdominal Muscles and Flexible Rear Muscles are imperative for helping prevent serious back and spinal issues. All done on a regular basis.

Even with 3 removed ruptured Spinal Discs, I seldom have even a backache, much less one that limits my movement/mobility or flexibility. Hey, if you find something that relieves your back pain? Go for it. I am only explaining to you what it takes to reduce your chances of having serious back issue, assuming you have no back or Spinal abnormalities at this time.

hckynut(john)

Thank you @hckynut for your input and experience.  I am talking minor back pain from over doing.  I have no back or spinal abnormalities at this time and hope I never do!  I find that stretching with proper breathing helps a lot.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@tends2dogs

hckynut(john)

@hckynutThanks John.  I always learn so much from your posts.  I've had a time since going into retail after retiring from teaching.  When I retired, I was younger than one might expect because I only took minimal time off when needed.  I love color as well as clothes and was asked by a manager at Dillards to take over one of the smaller areas in the ladie's dept.  Customers quickly came to me because they wanted to be styled which in turn, left me with mountains of clothes to put up all over the store.  I'm sure, looking back, that I didn't carry the clothes properly.  

After a year, I could hardly get out of bed.  I tried a chiropractor who told me I hadn't built up back muscles teaching.  He worked on me two or three times a week.  One particularly bad time, I couldn't hardly get up again and I ended up at the md.  The PA actually had to carry me to the treatment room, I had gotten so bad!

I ended up on meloxicam (still use ice when I haven't watched what I was doing), and the exercise I described has worked.  I'm more careful where I work now.  I love working with ladies and helping them.

People oriented personalities don't change!

Thank you for all of your help!  Very much appreciated!

Honored Contributor

I hope everyone who is suffering from any kind of pain. gets permanent relief.  We had the MRI done and my case is a direct nerve compression (syndrome) and doesn't involve my back at all .  It radiated from the back of my left hip but the pain is really located at the back of my left thigh where repetitive compression hurt the nerve.  Interesting that the sciatic nerve can be compressed/injured outside the spine.. 

Oh how delicate I've become..... Woman Wink.  But it is greatly improved! Thank goodness~!  And thank everyone for their experiences and helpful hints.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

The absolute worst pain I have ever had, and I had it for about 4 months right before I had my right hip replaced. It was unGodly.......

Respected Contributor

I had this horrible pain about 2 years ago the worst pain ever. I could barely walk. Radianted from my lower back down to my right leg. My Doctor said it was a classic sciatia. I had a disc that was blulging and being squeezed by the nerve. I was on pain meds and was out of  work for 2 weeks. I feel I went back to work too soon as I am a nurse and lifting the clients up in bed doesn't help. All I have to say is do not rush back to word too soon. It's not worth it.

Honored Contributor

I've had sciatica off and on (mostly off until the last couple of years) since my 30s. Arthritis (osteo) runs in my family. I was diagnosed with some degeneration of a couple of lumbar discs back then. The pain was awful. I had to sit at a desk looking at a computer screen 8+ hrs/day, and couldn't get relief lying down either. At that time, I lost a lot of weight, and it slowly resolved.

Fast forward and a few years ago I would get it intermittently, not enough to totally incapacitate me. Then last year it got nasty again. MRI showed more advanced DDD (degenerative disc disease) in the lumbar area as well as starting in the thoracic (oh joy).

I was told I could have a steroid injection if I needed it, but to start with physical therapy first. In my case, the PT has helped a lot. It's not 100% gone forever (and won't ever be) but the PT "keeps me loose" in that some of my contributing issues are tight muscles.

No back surgery (that I'd want to do) for what ails me, so I just have to live with a certain amount of pain which definitely cramps my style. I would have an injection if it got incapacitating.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I hope everyone has great relief from this awful pain.  It's been 7 months of babying the back of my left thigh, being very careful but the pain has gone away!  I never, ever want that pain again!  I sat on foam cushions, took aspirin, as well as a Super Complex Vitamin B...  and was very conscious of not irritating the site and it finally went away!!  I was lucky in that it did not involve my back.  It was a site compression and I don't remember hurting it but wow....  again, hope everyone has relief! 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*