Respected Contributor

I have severe pain from sciatica and need help to treat it on my own.  I can't go to a doctor right now because of the pandemic.  Thanks for any info!!

Honored Contributor

@fortune The massage therapist I used to go to recommended rolling around on a tennis ball to hit the pain spot and keeping it there as long as possible.  Also something like a tens unit (Dr Ho's is the best I found - HSN) works well also.  

Super Contributor

I get back pain on and off . I use the plug in heat pads on the back . Also buy the lidocaine patches and apply to area which is painful . 

Keep warm keep safe and hope you feel well soon .

Super Contributor

Although heat feels great, for me ICE  was the trick! That and some ibuprofin helped alot! It reduced the inflamation pressing on the nerve. Try to stand and walk more than sitting too. Again this is what helped me ... we are all different , good luck!

Trusted Contributor

When my sciatica starts acting up, I lay on the HoMedics Air Compression Mat that I purchased from QVC a few years ago.  It works great for me ! Saved me a lot of agony...except in my pocketbook. It cost around $225 but you might can find it cheaper on Amazon.  I wouldn't be without it for sciatica flare-ups.

Honored Contributor

Must be something in the air!  I am suffering terribly right now and nothing seems to be helping.  I know of another lady who is hurting, too!  I was wondering if the cold weather stirred it up, but don't know if this has anything to do with it?  I wish I had an answer for you, but unfortunately I don't!  Once I sit down, I have a terrible time getting back up.  Once I do get up, after walking around for a bit, it feels a lot better -- and walking helps a lot --- while I am doing it.  I can't stand and walk all day though --- very tiring!  It's wearing me out!  As "fortune" says, anyone having suggestions, please post!  Thanks.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

My 85 yr.old mom,.has had this since ,last winter, she has to use a walker, goes to get a injection,every few months ,only it really only last a few weeks, her pain is really bad.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Re: SCIATICA--HOW TO TREAT

[ Edited ]

Try the exercises in this link!  I had sciatica hit me early this year, and doing these exercises every day brought it under control quickly.  Caroline Jordan also has videos on YouTube where she demonstrates many of these exercises.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/kajabi-storefronts-production/sites/36913/downloads/3Lik93R6e7DnIcFpF4yA_Sc... 

Esteemed Contributor

I fell over hubby about 5 years ago on a cruise ship.  We were square dancing on the upper deck.  The ship jiggled and we both went down over each other. I was fine until I actually got home (10 days later).  Boy what pain.  I went to a neighborhood physical therapist.... He treated me.. exercises and some manipulation.  However what also worked... the Tens machine.  Not sure I spelled it correctly but you can find it on Amazon easily no matter how you spell it.  And for those of you who don''t know the Sciatica pain is torture. You want to jump off a roof or out the window to save yourself.  Up and down my leg.  Hope never to have it  again.  

Esteemed Contributor

@fortune   Sorry to hear this.  I too have been suffering from Sciatic discomfort for months now.  I just recently talked about this in another thread.  While I also have arthritis in my lower back (from an injury when I was young) that has contributed to my sciatic pain per my physician.  Xrays confirmed that.  What I do is my best to continue to be active, you MUST move your body (within reason) to keep everything as flexible as possible.  When I get on the treadmill it's tough but when I get off I feel so much better.

I also take Excedrin daily to take the edge off.  On real bad days I use those heated wraps with velcro.  For me heat is the absolute best relief.  Good luck.